Popsugar Must Have July 2014 *SPOILERS*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read this thread for a while now and.. [i feel like i'm going to get attacked for saying this] there's just so much negativity! You're all absolutely entitled to your own opinions and liking/disliking things.. that's what forums are for, but if you "hate" trying new things or "hate" being surprised... maybe subscription boxes aren't for you...

That hat is worth more than the box full price, and I am always pleasantly surprised with my items and I love gifting away the things I won't use. It's fine for you not to like it, but if you are a picky person in general and aren't interested in new things, again.. maybe subbys aren't for you. 

Popsugar is my absolute favorite service and I come on here month after month to bashing and I just felt the need to type that. Sorry if it offends anyone that was not the intention. My PSMH is just such a happy thing for me each month, I love getting it in the mail and then I come on here and get my little happy bubble burst. "Oh, maybe this month does suck, oh maybe paper straws are awful even though I think they're cute. Oh, maybe I should've unsubscribed and resubscribed to save $5, etc." 

That's all.. I guess I just wish this forum could be a little party sharing the things we're excited about and not complaining. Most of the time it is.. but I just think people are hard to please. Over  $100 value is a win for me. I think working at PSMH would be a tough job! 
I mean, people are going to post how they feel, even if it's negative, and I"m really glad that's true. It'd be pretty terrible if every post here was fake positivity because so many of us use these posts to gauge whether or not we want to try a box, etc. 

If you feel the place could use some positive, by all means, post your enthusiasm. Maybe it'll inspire others to do so, too. But these posts complaining about complaining tend to do more harm than good and bring things to a MORE negative level. As you've already seen, it makes people feel like they're being told they can't post how they feel about something they paid to receive. 

The only way to combat the negative is to post some positive!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I held off on resubbing until I saw this month's box, and I think I'm going to pass.

I don't think it's a box of "crap" but it's not a box worth $40 for me, this month.

I know I'd not wear the hat, it's not really my style and hats like that tend to look a little silly on me (and i never wear any hat I get, even if I think I might).

The salad servers are cute, and so are the straws!

I would like the sunscreen and lotion, I think...but I have lots of that, right now. Same with the mascara. I've tried the coconut chips and they are just okay, for me.

The jump rope is so not happening for me - last year, I broke my ankle falling off a sidewalk then I rolled down a hill last month and sprained that same one. The last thing I need is to jump over a rope at this point, LMAO.

Basically, I'd be paying for sunscreen, salad servers, and straws, and while I like those things, I can't justify the cost for them. Maybe I'll see you next month, PS. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm not even subscribed to this box and I've been all up in this thread and stalking instagram... And with that, here is a screenshot of your box, ladies!

Thanks for sharing!

Okay, I haven't been on here in ages, but I'm chiming in to say that this one is kind of a miss for me too, not because the products are bad but because I have either already received items like these in past boxes or will simply not use the products. That's just because of me though, and I'm glad people like the box. I'm unlikely to use a jump rope in my carpeted house, don't really wear hats and still haven't worn my last hat from PS, and I already have two sets of salad servers. I'll try the lotions and the mascara. My kid will use the straws, which are cute. It's fine, and I know I'm taking a risk by getting the box. Just not as great a box for me as the last couple of boxes were.

Regarding the negativity, there are people from sub boxes who read these forums, so for those of us who don't have a blog it's actually kind of useful to leave some feedback here on MUT so that people like PS (or people starting new sub boxes) can get multiple perspectives and learn what goes over well for subscribers.
Maybe try the jump rope outside? I can't use it inside either because the lady who lives below me would not be too happy. :)

Oh that hat! I really want to like it but I don't. I saw a photo of the black version someone received and I think I like it a lot more than the tan or beige. Someone said earlier, the hat makes or breaks this box and I agree. Everything else to me I could use or make work but am not excited over. I live no where near a beach or water and can't think of where else to wear it. I have loved each box since January, I am due for an off month. Still pondering whether to order or not.

I really want that hat! It just screams beach, bikini,bongos and margaritas! Might bite the bullet on this one

Thanks for sharing!

Maybe try the jump rope outside? I can't use it inside either because the lady who lives below me would not be too happy. :)
Thanks for the suggestion! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It's not so great in the Georgia summer heat (I'm more of an indoor treadmill/yoga person this time of year) but I'll probably find something fun to play with my kid with the jump rope. He plays with the pink exercise ball from pop sugar :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks for the suggestion! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It's not so great in the Georgia summer heat (I'm more of an indoor treadmill/yoga person this time of year) but I'll probably find something fun to play with my kid with the jump rope. He plays with the pink exercise ball from pop sugar :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I have used a jumprope for yoga before...you can use it similarly to how you would use a strap, it's just not stretchy. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Mine is soooo close, yet so far away.  Status says that it departed Troutdale, OR (only 20 minutes from my house!) at 3:15 a.m. but it's still showing Friday delivery.   It's probably too late in the day to get it, but maybe tomorrow… 

That hat, hmm. . personally I'd prefer the straw colored hat.  A black hat in the summer doesn't seem great because it would get too hot.  I wish I could see a picture of someone in the hat so there's a reference about size/shape, etc.  Right now, I can't decide if it's hip and cool or frumpy and weird.  I like Michael Stars and wear the printed scarf we received last year all the time and still get compliments on it.  I have a few Michael Stars tops and like their breezy, effortless style.  Very comfortable and durable.   

As for everything else, I will definitely use the salad servers plus everything but the mascara (I just got one in Boxycharm).   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This box looks great - it just screams summer and is perfect for July.  I actually like this one better than the PS Summer Box.   Can't wait to see all of the variations especially since mine is not scheduled to arrive until Friday.

@@Sadejane SmartPost delivers directly from Troutdale to you? Lucky! They always send packages from Troutdale to Auburn before sending them back down to Portland for me (Montavilla! When I moved into my apartment, the house next door was an actual drug house. We assume meth based on the tweakers who were always there. The DEA has since raided it).

I found this pic on mysubscriptionaddiction.com Wish I had my box!!!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is soooo close, yet so far away.  Status says that it departed Troutdale, OR (only 20 minutes from my house!) at 3:15 a.m. but it's still showing Friday delivery.   It's probably too late in the day to get it, but maybe tomorrow… 

That hat, hmm. . personally I'd prefer the straw colored hat.  A black hat in the summer doesn't seem great because it would get too hot.  I wish I could see a picture of someone in the hat so there's a reference about size/shape, etc.  Right now, I can't decide if it's hip and cool or frumpy and weird.  I like Michael Stars and wear the printed scarf we received last year all the time and still get compliments on it.  I have a few Michael Stars tops and like their breezy, effortless style.  Very comfortable and durable.   

As for everything else, I will definitely use the salad servers plus everything but the mascara (I just got one in Boxycharm).   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Meganola is right on that info, look forward to Friday, your box most likely has a transfer to the regular post office before it makes a beeline to your house. (Known as smartpost)

Well, I have two of these boxes coming my way, so hopefully they're not exactly the same!! 

Not really a fan of the paper straws at all. I wish they had included something else instead of those. 

The hat is my favorite item I think. 

The sunblock I'll definitely use. 

The jumprope is cool, but I have no need for 2 of them so that'll probably go on the trade thread if I don't just sell my whole extra box. 

I don't eat salad, so I have absolutely no use for the salad serving set either, not excited at all about that. 

All in all, the hat is cool but I don't really think this month is amazing, and am sort of disappointed with it. 

Well, I have two of these boxes coming my way, so hopefully they're not exactly the same!! 

Not really a fan of the paper straws at all. I wish they had included something else instead of those. 

The hat is my favorite item I think. 

The sunblock I'll definitely use. 

The jumprope is cool, but I have no need for 2 of them so that'll probably go on the trade thread if I don't just sell my whole extra box. 

I don't eat salad, so I have absolutely no use for the salad serving set either, not excited at all about that. 

All in all, the hat is cool but I don't really think this month is amazing, and am sort of disappointed with it. 
The salad spoons would make someone a nice gift when invited over for a bbq or something I think just a thought

Please people, don't discount those straws! I feel they could be used as a great art project down the road, for Adults or kids. I think they are very unusual and will have great possibilities for decorating cupcakes, making a mobile, decorating: a giftbox, ornament, picture frame etc. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have been wanting a jump rope and salad spoons for a few months now and keep forgetting to look for some when I'm at the store. I like hats, but have a larger head and lots of thick hair (keeping my fingers crossed it works for me!). I Have wanted a hat for when I'm out in the hot tub (no cover overhead and the sun gets me and my hair with all that reflection. I would also like it for when I'm out camping or out on my deck. I love coconut chips but usually go natural unsweetened flakes that I roast myself, but I'd give them a try. The sun lotions are greatly welcomed, I have massive samples for my face from sephora and other special buys, but a larger size is a want of mine, the Mascara will get used, I have several sample sizes, but really, I'd rather have a back stock more than not. This box has different interesting contents that are fun and of use. Pop-sugar answered my prayers after my HUGE disappointment with this months FFF box. I am so happy that I have two on the way so that I can share one with my daughter and if I find a code, I'm going to be tempted to order one more for my friend who has a birthday in a few weeks. Pretty Happy overall :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

Latest posts

Back