Memebox: Korean Beauty Box Service

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12 boxes!!!! Omg, now I don't feel so guilty about my 4 boxes and 90 dewy masks coming.
Hi-five mask lover! I have around 100 sheet masks lying around so i know that feeling haha! Let me know if the dewy masks are good! I am will add them in my wishlist and purchase... after i use up some of my stock lol

12 boxes!!!! Omg, now I don't feel so guilty about my 4 boxes and 90 dewy masks coming.
Hi-five mask lover! I have around 100 sheet masks lying around so i know that feeling haha! Let me know if the dewy masks are good! I will add them in my wishlist and purchase... after i use up some of my stock lol

According to Memebox, ingredients in the patches include caffeine, menthol, extract from hot pepper, green tea, orange peel, grape seed oil.

Caffeine is the main ingredient for this patch, because it constricts blood vessels, causing the appearance of a firming effect. This is, of course, temporary. Check out caffeine's effects on skin here (not a primary source, but it has citations): http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/cleansing/products/quick-tips-caffeine-in-skin-care-products.htm

Menthol is a known skin irritant, despite the cooling sensation (which at certain levels of menthol is actually burning because it causes activation of pain receptors). See more on menthol here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2042-7158.1994.tb03871.x/pdf

I'd rather not talk at length about menthol because I know a lot of people love the feeling and would feel offended if I told them it was potentially dangerous and likely noneffective at... anything, other than pain reduction when it comes to higher temperatures. Which is why it is included in this product, because of the hot pepper extract, aka capsaicin. Is also may reduce the integrity of the epidermal membrane, which would allow the caffeine and other ingredients to enter the skin more readily. However, that leaves your skin weakened.

Capsaicin is a vasodilator, meaning it dilates (opens) blood vessels. The result is increased circulation to the area. Which causes swelling. Sound contradictory? That's because it is! I'm going to guess that this increased circulation is supposed to "detox" the area, leading to longer term firming effects. Unfortunately, that's a load of bull I just made up right now to make it sound effective. And that's exactly what they'll tell you if you ask them what the capsaicin is supposed to do. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What does capsaicin do? Well, it's an pain reducer... eventually. Although initially it generally results in burning sensations and is overall painful, after initial applications, capsaicin is an effective pain reliever, and is sometimes used for those with arthritis and similar chronic joint pains. It relieves pain at least partially because it degenerates nerve fibers in your skin (they do regenerate, albeit slowly). Read about that experiment here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S030439599900007X That's not to scaremonger or anything! Many people use capsaicin for pain relief, especially in Asian countries (I've got some capsaicin-laced bandages in my bedroom right now). They do not leave any permanent effects, except maybe in terms of cold sensitivity, as the link above explains.

IN SUMMARY:

-the patches work mostly by the topical effects of caffeine

-effects are TEMPORARY and caused by constriction of blood vessels in the area -- same result as putting a cold pack on your eyes to firm up under eye bags

-cold sensation is due to menthol, which is a skin irritant but may allow the ingredients to enter the skin more readily (at a potential risk)

-burning sensation is due to capsaicin, the thing that makes peppers spicy; it is, eventually, a pain reliever -- it may have been added to improve circulation, but why that would firm anything up or reduce swelling (as a vasodilator, it actually induces swelling initially) is up in the air

Although it's supposed to hurt initially because of the capsaicin, in my experience it should only be a dull, lingering burn, like turning up the water just a bit too hot for comfort. If it hurts a lot, please stop using it! Your skin may simply be sensitive to menthol and/or capsaicin, and it's not worth hurting your skin for a temporary firming effect.

This has been Bunny's Fun Fact Science Corner. :wizard:
Yea I took them off after an hour. My skin was "constricted" but that's about it. The pain subsided after awhile but the patches really didn't do anything to warrant using them again. Thank for the info, though!

These Keyskin patches feel really weird after wearing them for 20 mins. I didn't notice it the first time, but the second time, you can feel like a weird sensation where you had them, after you take them off.

Im soo addicted to those bloody beauty masks now!! ughhhh

i thought i would update you, after the note from the postman the other day ,i must of been naughty he only left me 2 more boxes yesterday, so i have a theory, today i will get 2 boxes and tomorrow saturday 2 or 3 boxes. on the other hand they could of made me walk to the local post office to pick up 9 boxes and laugh at me walking home with a stack bigger than myself.

do you all have funny postman

i see the superbox  deal  has ended and gone back to full price. now am i being silly as the offer was nearly 48 hours ago so it was longer than written due to people time zone ,but people on social media moaning the offer has run out and they can't order, surely if you been thinking you should know after selling out they should be grabbed quickly.

also why do some countries have issues with using paypal and want to use credit cards only ,i see this a lot. paypal rules in the customers favour and can pull money back from a year ago if there is an issue, credit cards go through the bank but is more effort and hassle .sorry but I've always wondered why some countries prefer card over paypal.anyone tell me why this is please.

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought i would update you, after the note from the postman the other day ,i must of been naughty he only left me 2 more boxes yesterday, so i have a theory, today i will get 2 boxes and tomorrow saturday 2 or 3 boxes. on the other hand they could of made me walk to the local post office to pick up 9 boxes and laugh at me walking home with a stack bigger than myself.

i see the superbox  deal  has ended and gone back to full price. now am i being silly as the offer was nearly 48 hours ago so it was longer than written due to people time zone ,but people on social media moaning the offer has run out and they can't order, surely if you been thinking you should know after selling out they should be grabbed quickly.

also why do some countries have issues with using paypal and want to use credit cards only ,i see this a lot. paypal rules in the customers favour and can pull money back from a year ago if there is an issue, credit cards go through the bank but is more effort and hassle .sorry but I've always wondered why some countries prefer card over paypal.anyone tell me why this is please.
Actually using credit cards vs paypal is alot easier, and you have more control. Paypal is just the middle man, and there in control. That's why some countries prefer to use there CC, rather than paypal, and paypal also has some restrictions in certain countries so they might not be able to buy things until they get "verified"  its just a whole lot of mess with paypal IMO. I mean, having a cc as a checkout option would be cool, instead of just using paypal "guest" checkout if you don't have a pp account.

I'd also like to point out to you that it isn't as black/white as it seems to you. XD For instance, I work weird 16 hour shifts at a high demand job. When I got home the 1st day and could order it, it was sold out of all but green tea. They restock when I was asleep but I had to get up and go back to work. When I could order again, after the restock, the sale was over.

Some people are really busy and cannot instantly order or stalk the memebox page.

I'm not typing this as an insult, so please don't take it the wrong way. I'm just trying to point this out! Some people have really crappy work schedules. xD

I also think the $39 is an inflated price and the $29 sale was meant for it to sell very fast. Marketing tactic, I'd assume.

Aren't many of the Superboxes $39ish dollars though? I just don't think that it was a marketing tactic. I think when they add $2 in points to our accounts THAT is a huge marketing tatic. I think that giving limited time "points" that turn into  $$ gets us to buy more than if they just had a $2 off coupon code or something. It's interesting how that works!

The 10$ off seemed a huge marketing tactic though. They seem to have an offer on at all times now though.

I'd also like to point out to you that it isn't as black/white as it seems to you. XD For instance, I work weird 16 hour shifts at a high demand job. When I got home the 1st day and could order it, it was sold out of all but green tea. They restock when I was asleep but I had to get up and go back to work. When I could order again, after the restock, the sale was over.

Some people are really busy and cannot instantly order or stalk the memebox page.

I'm not typing this as an insult, so please don't take it the wrong way. I'm just trying to point this out! Some people have really crappy work schedules. xD

I also think the $39 is an inflated price and the $29 sale was meant for it to sell very fast. Marketing tactic, I'd assume.
i understand the shifts as i do a lot of 16hr shifts so i know about timings for boxes. hope i didn't offend  how i wrote it.i tend to check my phone if i go into the fridge or freezer randomly,lol. hense how i missed lucky boxes and such.and i understand it not as black and white i think like i said it was over 48 hours but it may of been 24 in some countries ,i guess that is the whole multiple time zones  differences coming through. 

im glad some of you explained the cc issue too, i think we are kind of lucky in europe as paypal  treat us well but also we rely on cc and debit card too.  i noticed before people using cc  over paypal and just wondered if paypal had  different forms and limits in countries, i thank you for explaining a little, i also looked and realised that memebox does not give you the option to account holders for both payment options.seems silly when credit cards are main payment forms.

and as luxxy luxx said you have to wait for paypal to verify, so it must be run different in each country. can you link  your paypal to your cc or bank account like we do so you don't have  to only have money on your paypal  (does this make sense).

The 10$ off seemed a huge marketing tactic though. They seem to have an offer on at all times now though.
yes your right, hense why i got the 2 boxes as it seems the prices for individual items will be inflated to make the box look good.im keeping my 10 points as stock ,i think most of my lucky,super,limited boxes have been brought when offers and points are used  so it doesnt seem over priced. 

i can't believe the offers they have for single items as they have hyped the cost to start with.i kind of look at it as whats is coming next.

Aren't many of the Superboxes $39ish dollars though? I just don't think that it was a marketing tactic. I think when they add $2 in points to our accounts THAT is a huge marketing tatic. I think that giving limited time "points" that turn into  $$ gets us to buy more than if they just had a $2 off coupon code or something. It's interesting how that works!
It's looks like a marketing tactic when they drop the inflated price to 29$

I got to say, even if it is a marketing tactic who cares?

It's still beneficial to us.
IMO, You get hooked with promo's marketing tactics etc. therefore you keep buying and buying and buying, until the point where you can't quit lol. No ones saying its NOT beneficial. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think this just started out that  people were saying they were OVERPRICING there items/boxes is all, which is true.

Just received three boxes at once, had to sign (had no idea they were coming express; I got them before boxes I've ordered three weeks ago!) Luckybox #2 restock, Hair and Body, and Mask Edition #2. I am Memeboxed out! Thank goodness I didn't buy the new Superboxes. I think I'm good for the rest of the summer!

(Unless they release a sun protection box, that is...)

Just received three boxes at once, had to sign (had no idea they were coming express; I got them before boxes I've ordered three weeks ago!) Luckybox #2 restock, Hair and Body, and Mask Edition #2. I am Memeboxed out! Thank goodness I didn't buy the new Superboxes. I think I'm good for the rest of the summer!

don't speak too soon now. for all we know, they probably are planning one soon.

Memebox, are you reading this?

*wink wink*

Latest posts

Back