2009-2010 NHL Hockey Chatter

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After 2.... USA and Canada tied 3-3 at the Junior A championship! Great game!! Also Penns 4 - Atlanta 2. I'm in hockey overload tonight.. Yeah!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

YES!!! USA beats Canada in ot to win the Junior A championship!!! Penguins also beat Atlanta!! Its a great day for hockey!

The world's final was pretty exciting.

Tied 33 going into the 3rd period.

US scores two goals, and Canada comes back to tie it 5-5.

Overtime period, kinda slow.

But US got in the last goal!!!

Congratulations to all the boys - everyone worked hard but US came out on top.

Next year, the worlds are in Buffalo, NY. Tickets can be had, but get them quick.

The Canadians living in Hamilton, Toronto and London will be scooping them up.

wow that is pretty exciting! thanks for the update. i get the muffin now.

I would have loved a Tim's coffee and muffin about an hour ago, watching the big game.

Hey, Toronto won so another 2 points - yes!!!

wow not many posts in a while.

Here's a quiz question: Do you know what a Gordie Howe Hat Trick is?

In today's news Caps won after falling behind 4-1 in the 1st. It took round 6 of the shootout before Tomas Fleishmann put it in. Great game. 5-4 GO CAPS!

I think I know what a Gordie Howe hat trick is:

In one game a player gets at least one goal, an assist, and a fight.

The Caps game sounded pretty exciting.

But why can't OV fight his own battles - did you see when his team mate jumped into the fight?

yes that was last night against Tampa Bay. There were a series of skirmishes between Ovechkin and Downey. In the last case they exited the penalty box and Downey speared Ovechkin. Gloves and Helmets dropped for both but the other Caps player jumped in to fight. He and Downey got tossed then. Ovy was just standing and watching.

~~~~~~

Carolyn, yes you are correct except i think it needs to be a fighting major. Girl knows her hockey :)

speaking of fighting did you hear about what happened in Russion league? KHL

there was a game dont remember teams that there was a major brawl and something like 900 penalty minutes involved. they couldn't finish the game because there were no players left to play.

Ya know Darla, in Canada a fight is a fight...

Gordie Howe hat trick - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In ice hockey, a Gordie Howe hat trick is an unofficial variation on the hat trick, wherein a player scores a goal, records an assist, and gets in a fight all in one game. It is named after Gordie Howe, who is known for both his scoring ability and his fisticuffs.

The Gordie Howe hat trick is not actually an official statistic. Its conception is relatively recent; The Hockey News has statistics on it only since the 1996–97 NHL season. The San Jose Sharks, Calgary Flames, Nashville Predators, Edmonton Oilers, Ottawa Senators, Pittsburgh Penguins, and the Montreal Canadiens are the only teams in the NHL that record their franchises' Gordie Howe hat tricks.

The first known Gordie Howe hat trick was recorded by Hall of Famer Harry Cameron of the Toronto Arenas on December 26, 1917. Howe's only two occurrences were on October 10, 1953, and March 21, 1954.

Brendan Shanahan is widely considered to lead this statistics at least in recent history with 17 recorded efforts.

On Friday, Washington plays Toronto

- will Toronto lose yet another one or blow Washington away like they have done in the past?

Wish I had a Tim's to watch the game with...

well that sounds like the definitive answer! i was going by what the commentators said. It was Chimera who the Caps just acquired from Carolina and was the player Ovechkin got suspended for going knee to knee. (they are good friends now!)

yes the Caps really seem to be troubled by Toronto. But i will be over with those Tim coffees.

uhh, were the commentators American? Melrose maybe?

Listen, if ya wanna know something about hockey, ya have ta ask a Canadian, don cha know?

I'll get the donuts if you bring the coffee...

no its Joe Benatti (sp) & old Cap star Craig Laughlin (sp)

you're on then! i will get the Tims

ok i looked into this. THere is actually a web site that keeps track of hockey fights! http://www.hockeyfights.com and guess what Calgary is in First PLace and Washington in Last PLace. (I know what you're going to say what a bunch of wussies!)

here is the complete list.

NHL Team Fighting Majors Leaders

2009-2010 Regular Season

As of Jan 13, 2010

Rank Team Fight Totals

1 Calgary Flames 49

2 Philadelphia Flyers 42

3 Anaheim Ducks 40

4 St. Louis Blues 40

5 Tampa Bay Lightning 39

6 Vancouver Canucks 39

7 Edmonton Oilers 38

8 Colorado Avalanche 35

9 San Jose Sharks 35

10 Toronto Maple Leafs 34

11 Columbus Blue Jackets 31

12 Ottawa Senators 31

13 Pittsburgh Penguins 30

14 Boston Bruins 26

15 Atlanta Thrashers 24

16 Dallas Stars 24

17 Florida Panthers 24

18 New York Rangers 23

19 Minnesota Wild 22

20 New York Islanders 22

21 Carolina Hurricanes 21

22 Phoenix Coyotes 21

23 Chicago Blackhawks 20

24 Montreal Canadiens 20

25 Los Angeles Kings 19

26 New Jersey Devils 19

27 Buffalo Sabres 16

28 Detroit Red Wings 14

29 Nashville Predators 12

30 Washington Capitals 12

I haven't verified this but I believe that Philadelphia has accumulated the most penalty minutes.

There was a Toronto Maple Leaf (think that's the team) by the name of Tiger Williams that had thousands on penalty minutes, in his career.

from NHL.com

Stratford to play host for Hockey Day In Canada

Tuesday, 01.19.2010 / 4:47 PM / NHL Insider

By Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer

In anticipation of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver next month, picturesque Stratford, Ontario, will look to fulfill the immediate need of those hockey-crazed fans as the host community for Tim Horton's Hockey Day In Canada next week.

"Stratford will provide a beautiful backdrop for our 10th edition of Tim Horton's Hockey Day In Canada," said Joel Darling, director of production for CBC Sports. "Stratford's history of hockey and their vibrant community will help celebrate what has become a Canadian tradition over the past decade."

Cherry: Two omissions on Team Canada

rnd-1.jpg

It shouldn't come as a surprise that Hockey Night In Canada analyst Don Cherry is geared up for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver next month.

He understands the immense pressure Team Canada is facing as the host country for the first time since 1988 (Calgary).

"I remember finishing seventh in 2006 and how heartbroken they all were," Cherry said. "We have to win the gold, not silver. You can't believe the pressure. I've been involved (internationally) in '76 with the Canada Cup and we went into that final game with the Czechs feeling it. You're actually shaking. Then, when you win it, it's not even like a relief either. They just have to win or they'll be talked about for a long time. It's our game."

Before becoming one of Canada's most outspoken hockey commentators, Cherry was a pretty successful NHL coach.

During the 1975-76 campaign, in fact, he would garner the Jack Adams Award as the League's top boss after leading the Boston Bruins to a 48-15-17 mark before losing a five-game series to the Philadelphia Flyers in the Conference Finals.

He also joined fellow coaches Scotty Bowman, Bobby Kromm and Al MacNeil in helping lead Team Canada to the 1976 Canada Cup title following a two-game sweep of Czechoslovakia in the final.

For the most part, Cherry agreed with the majority of players named to Team Canada. Still, there were two he was surprised to see omitted.

"I thought Jordan Staal should have been on because of his (penalty-killing) ability," Cherry said. "He's magic and he's the guy you put out there on 5-on-3 situations.

"I was kind of surprised that (Mike) Green never got picked either. I think of all the guys who didn't get picked, Green's the guy that's really heartbroken and they way he's playing now, he's out to prove they were wrong in not choosing him. So, I think those two guys should have been on. But again, I'm sure some of the guys I like, they wouldn't want either."

Green is the only player in the NHL with three eight-game point streaks this season and he's scored points in 35 of the Washington Capitals' 48 games this season. He leads all NHL defensemen with 12 goals and 49 points -- one point shy of becoming the fifth Capitals defenseman to post three straight 50-point seasons (Scott Stevens, Sergei Gonchar, Kevin Hatcher, Larry Murphy).

Green has led NHL defensemen in goals each of the past two seasons. Staal, meanwhile, has 13 goals and 34 points in 50 games for Pittsburgh. He also leads the team with two shorthanded goals.

-- Mike Morreale

Karren - do you know where this concept comes from?

When Sid was on Jay Leno 3-4 years ago, he talked about using his mom's dryer for target. As a result, Jay provided a dryer for Sid to shoot at, on the show.

I've seen this commercial! its great. I heard it was even on during the trouncing yesterday where the Caps beat the Pens 6-3.............

wow Caps have been on a tear! won yesterday 7-2 and started tonight's game with a goal by Ovetchkin in only 36 seconds.

GO CAPS!

Latest posts

Back