(Spoilers) Julep June 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking of getting the Core Classics Box but when I read the reviews everyone says the sprayer does not work on the body oil. Does anyone have an opinion to share?

I am thinking of getting the Core Classics Box but when I read the reviews everyone says the sprayer does not work on the body oil. Does anyone have an opinion to share?
It just clogs frequently, just like Beauty Protector from Birchbox.  Take the nozzle off, run it under some hot water, pop it back on, and you're good to go.

It just clogs frequently, just like Beauty Protector from Birchbox.  Take the nozzle off, run it under some hot water, pop it back on, and you're good to go.
Thanks, this seems like a good opportunity to change it up from my Caudalie Divine Oil for a little while. I have also been wanting a facial cleansing oil.

Skipping this month.   Saved my skip this morning before 7am, and still don't have a confirmation email!  I screen capped it but this is ridiculous. 

I like the variety and change up of the finishes, but I'm not a fan of most of the colors, too much purple, and I have similar colors/finishes already of the ones I do like.  

I really liked Bergen though, I "might" pick that up later next month if a good discount code comes along that doesn't require a ton of money to use it.  I almost got the classic with a twist box, but I don't know if I 20$ like it enough.  I can't tell for sure how blue or grey Bergen really is, so I'll wait for true swatches.  

I like the textured polish, but I had a similar color from Zoya pixi dusts, and hardly ever wore it.  Probably shouldn't waste money on a color I'll hardly wear.  :-\  

I'm not happy about the increase in price of add on options either. 

Whoa, boxes are going out of stock?  And upgrades? Crazy, I've never seen that happen. I guess I've only been around since November, but still, dang.

Even though I like several of the colors, I'm skipping this month. I'd test out any of this month's products in, say, a mystery box, but I don't want any of them enough to intentionally buy them. And I don't want to gamble with the colors. Several look similar to ones I already have and/or look super streaky. If they end up being gorgeous, I'll get them on sale later. Better to save my 2000 Jules for a box that I actually want.

I have a very close drugstore dupe for Katerina.  Sally Hansen Diamond Strength in #150 Glass Slipper in case that helps anyone out.   I wasn't too happy about the increased cost for the  add ons, but at least we still have the option to have add ons (provided you get in there asap before they sell out).  Most excited for Harlow this month.  

I switched to My Maven and took the 3-month prepaid option. As long as my skips remain intact as Julep has promised, I'm good.

I ended up taking It Girl for Jennine and Phia, but swapped out Savoy (I have enough gold polish that I never wear) for that copper one. Yay for a box of 3 polishes I like!

Also got the 2-pack of Konjac sponges. I love those and have been waiting for them to go on sale.

This might have been a month to upgrade, but now I have one devil on my shoulder shouting "nail polish!" while the angel on the other shoulder whispers "house!"

I did the Maven Upgrade but decided to skip it. Also, the Maven Upgrade is also a way worse deal. It's $40 for the hand creams set and the face elixer. With no nail polishes. You can trade out either set for ONE POLISH. which is ridiculous. Why would I pay $40 for 2 polishes when I can pay $20 and get a whole set? It just makes no sense to me at all.

I'm probably going to cancel Julep, I love them but I have too much polish right now and I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. It occurred to me that instead of buying these boxes every month I could just do a recurring donation of $10 for my local library or land conservation agency and it would be a better use of my money than buying a bunch of stuff I don't really need.

Skipping this month.   Saved my skip this morning before 7am, and still don't have a confirmation email!  I screen capped it but this is ridiculous. 

I like the variety and change up of the finishes, but I'm not a fan of most of the colors, too much purple, and I have similar colors/finishes already of the ones I do like.  

I really liked Bergen though, I "might" pick that up later next month if a good discount code comes along that doesn't require a ton of money to use it.  I almost got the classic with a twist box, but I don't know if I 20$ like it enough.  I can't tell for sure how blue or grey Bergen really is, so I'll wait for true swatches.  

I like the textured polish, but I had a similar color from Zoya pixi dusts, and hardly ever wore it.  Probably shouldn't waste money on a color I'll hardly wear.  :-\  

I'm not happy about the increase in price of add on options either. 
I skipped too & my skip confirmation went to my junk email folder for some reason. None of my other Julep emails have gone to my junk mail. Maybe the same thing happened to you?

I skipped too & my skip confirmation went to my junk email folder for some reason. None of my other Julep emails have gone to my junk mail. Maybe the same thing happened to you?
I skipped yesterday morning and didn't get my confirmation until about 5pm yesterday- and I skipped about 0900 yesterday morning....

For everyone skipping right now. And, still wanting some polish this month. Transdesign has a terrific deal on Color Club. $3.25 a piece instead of $8. That's what I bought.

Just a head's up.

I decided to switch over to a customization plan so I did the $60 for 3 months option.  I wanted Phia but it is sold out as an add on, sold out as a switch out option, and the It Girl box with Phia in it is sold out too so even with customization I still can't get it (unless I want to buy the entire It Girl box as an add on, which is available).  

Currently I have picked a customized box with Natalia, Bergen, and Sera.  I also added on Katerina.  If It Girl boxes become available again I'll switch out for that box so I can get Phia and then switch out the other polishes for what I want and have an extra add on :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Wait hold up...you have to PAY $19.99 FOR EACH MONTH?!? I thought it was "get 3 month plan for $19.99 & nothing but $19.99 cuz this is supposed to be the better deal & you only pay $19.99 once every 3 months because Julep"

What a disappointment, I'm definitely not switching over to Maven Luxe now.

Wait hold up...you have to PAY $19.99 FOR EACH MONTH?!? I thought it was "get 3 month plan for $19.99 & nothing but $19.99 cuz this is supposed to be the better deal & you only pay $19.99 once every 3 months because Julep"

What a disappointment, I'm definitely not switching over to Maven Luxe now.
OK -- I'm editing to better respond here.

"Maven Luxe" is a special "higher" tier of subscription that includes extra products -- you get "over $60 a month" in stuff, vs. the "regular" Maven boxes that are worth $40.  This costs $39.99 a month, or $34.99 a month if you subscribe for 3 months ($104.97).

I don't know what the name for the "customizable" box is, but for this, you pay $59.97 for 3 months (or $19.99 a month vs. $24.99 a month if you are month-to-month).  So by pre-paying for 3 "customizable" boxes, you pay the same amount you would for "regular" Maven, with the option to customize and, if you had it previously, the option to skip a month.  If you are a "grandmothered" skipper, you can still skip and will be charged for another 3 boxes only after you've taken 3.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
The $19.99 you pay per month for Maven Luxe (with a 3 month sign-up) replaces the $19.99 a month you would have paid for each Maven box.  So you are paying the same -- with the ability to customize -- if you pay in advance.  It's not that it's a "better" deal in terms of price, but since you get the option to customize (and retain the ability to skip, if you had it), it could be a better deal in terms of flexibility.

ETA: Actually -- isn't Maven Luxe something with more stuff than the typical "2 polishes and a product"?  I'm not really sure.  But when I said "Maven Luxe" above, I was referring to just the customizing option, not the "bigger box" option.
Okay thank you, that makes way more sense. & I don't think Maven Luxe is supposed to be any different from My Maven in terms of different or more products; My Maven is just for 1 month whereas Maven Luxe is the 3 month plan.

Thanks, this seems like a good opportunity to change it up from my Caudalie Divine Oil for a little while. I have also been wanting a facial cleansing oil.
You'll love Bare Face. I use it to take off my makeup every night & it leaves my skin feeling so soft. It can also remove mascara like no one's business!

I've officially decided to cancel my Julep sub. It's been fun but I just haven't been impressed with a lot of things regarding their company and products lately.

My boyfriend and I just booked our honeymoon to Punta Cana in December and we want to buy a house in the next year or two, so extra money will be going into savings towards those things.  I have enough nail polish that I could do my nails something different every few days for a year and not repeat at this point...so, yeah, bye Julep!  I'll probably still lurk around the message boards though, ha ha.

Latest posts

Back