(Spoilers) Birchbox October 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  my friend who has been waiting on her box finally got it in! posting it because it's a variation i haven't seen around a lot, and the sample sizes are killer. she seems really excited abou tit.

That's the box I got - it didn't have any of the products I really wanted, but I ended up loving it.  The serious skincare sample is HUGE and the product is great.

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is that was the smell is? Love it! BTW - if you go to the dollar store or the travel section just pick up a new spray bottle.

Me too!! The shampoo and conditioner smell the exact same way.  Want to try them!!  And great idea- I hadn't even thought of that!  I might even be able to water it down a little bit, it seems really thick!

Quote: Originally Posted by Moonittude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  LOL, I think I created a run on Amazon's supply of Amika Cloud dryers, because the price went up. I ordered this morning from Sleek Hair for $99, so no worries. But I will have to keep in mind the Makeuptalk effect, when considering purchases, in future.

Now that I am going to blow dry my hair, I need to buy a thermal protector from the BB Shop with my coupon. I wanted to stick with Amika, because they are good and I love the smell, but that would make my choices the blow up spray and hair oil, I'm not sure either of those are the best choice for me. I am looking at the Beauty Protect, with it's halo of buzz, and the 12 Benefits spray, which is supposed to be arriving as a sample in my box, today.

Has anyone tried both, yet? I've been reading the reviews for 12 Benefits, and the only one that is specific about the smell, says it smells like salon. One review said that the Beauty Protect smells like cherry vanilla.
I have both the Beauty Protect and 12 benefits sprays.  I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other after using them both many times.  They both work well for heat protection.

If I were to compare them:

The BP spray has a MUCH stronger scent, that lasts in the hair once dry.  It is very sweet smelling, similar to the Pink Sugar perfume.  If you do not like that perfume, or very sweet scents-this spray is not for you.  If you like that scent or strong sweet scents, it shouldn't bother you, naturally. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The 12 benefits spray is also scented, kind of a sweet salon smell--that freshly washed and blown out shampoo, I feel like a million bucks-type smell from a salon that uses products like Paul Mitchell/Redken/Biolage etc, when you know you've stepped out the salon vs. your shower. (If that makes sense)

However, it isn't nearly as strong a scent left in your hair as the BP once your hair is dry.  You can still smell it if you physically smell your hair at your nose, but it isn't as cloying like a perfume scent like the BP.

The BP is more of a detangler and heat protector spray.  Whereas the 12 benefits is more conditioning--not heavy like a leave in conditioner spray, but a nice light conditioner/detangler and is really good with the heat protection.  I'd classify BP as a soft and bouncy blow out feel, and the 12 benefits as a silky-smooth/soft blow out feel.

There is also the #4 heat protect spray (prep and protect it is called).  I have this one also.  It works well too, and has more the typical Super Cuts/Fantastic Sam's type salon smell.  Not bad, but not all sweet and sugary/flowery like the other two sprays.  It works well for heat protection, but it isn't as moisturizing as the other two sprays.  It leaves a drier salon blow out feel to the hair vs. the silky soft of the 12 benefits or bouncy softness of the BP.

If I was forced to pick just one, I'd choose 12 benefits.  But I don't think you can go "wrong" with any of them personally.  I know this is a lot of rambling, but I hope it helps out a little. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OHMIGOSH.... THIS IS MY HAIR DRYER.

Thank you so so much! 
hug.gif

I just got off the phone w/their customer service/recall line, verified w/them that my dryer DOES need to be replaced.  Yikes!  I thought it was running a bit hot over the last few months...

OK, so I have to box my current one up, they'll send UPS out to get it, and then mail me a new one.  I may have to live for a week or two without a dryer... THE HORROR!  
5.gif

I'm glad you're getting a replacement!  I remember as a teenager seeing my mom's hair dryer all a sudden spitting sparks out at her face.  She didn't believe me that it was running way too hot most of the time.  Scary stuff.

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OHMIGOSH.... THIS IS MY HAIR DRYER.

Thank you so so much! 
hug.gif

I just got off the phone w/their customer service/recall line, verified w/them that my dryer DOES need to be replaced.  Yikes!  I thought it was running a bit hot over the last few months...

OK, so I have to box my current one up, they'll send UPS out to get it, and then mail me a new one.  I may have to live for a week or two without a dryer... THE HORROR!  
5.gif

No problem!  And thank you for telling us what the recall process is!  I have this blow dryer as well, but I haven't called it in yet.  Sounds like I'll be testing out my new mini-Amika soon!

Quote: Originally Posted by normajean2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have both the Beauty Protect and 12 benefits sprays.  I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other after using them both many times.  They both work well for heat protection.

If I were to compare them:

The BP spray has a MUCH stronger scent, that lasts in the hair once dry.  It is very sweet smelling, similar to the Pink Sugar perfume.  If you do not like that perfume, or very sweet scents-this spray is not for you.  If you like that scent or strong sweet scents, it shouldn't bother you, naturally. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The 12 benefits spray is also scented, kind of a sweet salon smell--that freshly washed and blown out shampoo, I feel like a million bucks-type smell from a salon that uses products like Paul Mitchell/Redken/Biolage etc, when you know you've stepped out the salon vs. your shower. (If that makes sense)

However, it isn't nearly as strong a scent left in your hair as the BP once your hair is dry.  You can still smell it if you physically smell your hair at your nose, but it isn't as cloying like a perfume scent like the BP.

The BP is more of a detangler and heat protector spray.  Whereas the 12 benefits is more conditioning--not heavy like a leave in conditioner spray, but a nice light conditioner/detangler and is really good with the heat protection.  I'd classify BP as a soft and bouncy blow out feel, and the 12 benefits as a silky-smooth/soft blow out feel.

There is also the #4 heat protect spray (prep and protect it is called).  I have this one also.  It works well too, and has more the typical Super Cuts/Fantastic Sam's type salon smell.  Not bad, but not all sweet and sugary/flowery like the other two sprays.  It works well for heat protection, but it isn't as moisturizing as the other two sprays.  It leaves a drier salon blow out feel to the hair vs. the silky soft of the 12 benefits or bouncy softness of the BP.

If I was forced to pick just one, I'd choose 12 benefits.  But I don't think you can go "wrong" with any of them personally.  I know this is a lot of rambling, but I hope it helps out a little. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
That is a really helpful comparison. I already ordered, but it's still good to know. 

I ended up getting the Beauty Protect Spray, Dr Jart gold label BB Cream (my HG foundation), Amika dry shampoo, and a free mystery pack. I used my 25% off coupon, so not too shabby, even without the mini hairdryer. I really like vanilla perfumes, so I think I will like the Beauty Protect. I don't know that Pink Sugar is really my exact type of fragrance, but I do like the way it smells. I like to get samples of it and spray it on my dog.

I am babbling, again...

Quote: There is also the #4 heat protect spray (prep and protect it is called).  I have this one also.  It works well too, and has more the typical Super Cuts/Fantastic Sam's type salon smell.  Not bad, but not all sweet and sugary/flowery like the other two sprays.  It works well for heat protection, but it isn't as moisturizing as the other two sprays.  It leaves a drier salon blow out feel to the hair vs. the silky soft of the 12 benefits or bouncy softness of the BP. 
I currently use the BP, the #4 or (along a similar vein) Alterna's Bamboo Finishing Gloss. It's my least favorite of the 3 overall but the #4 is the best when it's humid out. It really holds the style of my hair (wavy) and keeps it from getting limp and/or frizzy in the humidity. More so than the BP or the Alterna.

Quote: Originally Posted by elizabethrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've used the Beauty Protect- but I use it more like a leave in conditioner and then still spray a heat protectant in it.  I use either Not Your Mother's or the TreSemme one.. both work well for me!

Edit- the Beauty Protect smells like vanilla for me, I also don't spray it, I pour it out of the bottle because the spray nozzle doesn't work and BB wasn't super willing to believe me.. so I gave up.
That's too funny because I have tried the Not Your Mother's, and I hate it!  I feel like it gives my hair a hair spray feel and I didn't think it did that great of a job at anything, like if I used no product it would have been better because I wouldn't have that hair spray feel to my hair.  

I have used the 12 benefits once, and I'm not sure how well I liked it.  I like to try things a couple times before I pass judgement, unless it's just awful and I hate it!  

Quote: Originally Posted by luckyme502 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  That's too funny because I have tried the Not Your Mother's, and I hate it!  I feel like it gives my hair a hair spray feel and I didn't think it did that great of a job at anything, like if I used no product it would have been better because I wouldn't have that hair spray feel to my hair.  

I have used the 12 benefits once, and I'm not sure how well I liked it.  I like to try things a couple times before I pass judgement, unless it's just awful and I hate it!  

It's so funny how different products react to different people's hair!  My hair is so much smoother when I use the NYM!  But my hair is a big thick voluminous curly/wavy mess when I don't do anything to it!

Quote: Originally Posted by normajean2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you're getting a replacement!  I remember as a teenager seeing my mom's hair dryer all a sudden spitting sparks out at her face.  She didn't believe me that it was running way too hot most of the time.  Scary stuff.
That is crazy!  Thankfully mine wasn't near that point yet, but I don't use it much in the summer, so I definitely didn't put the wear & tear on it that many others have.  I would have run screaming if my dryer started spitting sparks!

Quote: Originally Posted by easybreezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  No problem!  And thank you for telling us what the recall process is!  I have this blow dryer as well, but I haven't called it in yet.  Sounds like I'll be testing out my new mini-Amika soon!

Haha, I'm having "one of those days", so I saw your link, clicked it, and was like *headdesk* of COURSE it's my dryer!  There was a bit of hold time, but the CS person I spoke with was AMAZING and helpful and kind.  The only thing I forgot to ask was which dryer they're sending as a replacement, so if you get the chance to ask, please let me know what they're sending! 
g.gif

I think usps is playing ping pong with my Birchbox..seriously. 1 day down to Orlando back to Jax...5 days in Jax then back to Orlando..and I live in between these 2 cities

Status
InUSPSNetwork 
Destination
Interlachen, FL 32148
Carrier United States Postal Service - Parcel Select Lightweight Delivery Confirmation 
Estimated Delivery Date
10/16/13
Date Time Description Location 10/16/2013 01:11 PM Processed by USPS ORLANDO, FL 32824 10/14/2013 09:05 PM Processed by USPS JACKSONVILLE, FL 32099 10/11/2013 09:34 PM Accepted by USPS JACKSONVILLE, FL 32099 10/11/2013 01:49 AM Enroute Departed ORLANDO, FL 10/10/2013 04:10 AM Enroute Departed HAGERSTOWN, MD 10/9/2013 09:46 PM Enroute Departed NEWARK, NJ 10/9/2013 02:03 PM Departing Newgistics Facility Elizabeth, NJ 07206 10/9/2013 01:58 PM Electronic Information Received by USPS   10/9/2013 01:58 PM Electronic Information Sent to USPS Elizabeth, NJ 07206 10/9/2013 07:20 AM Inducted into Newgistics Network Elizabeth, NJ 07206 10/8/2013 12:10 AM Shipped from Client Cranbury, NJ
I

Quote: Originally Posted by Generalissima /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  A little OT but my kitty Mr. Dribbles stole my Birchbox as soon as it got here...guess he has good taste
smilehappyyes.gif

He's so handsome! 
cat.gif
 I usually don't throw the tissue paper away I save them for gifting. My kitty loves playing with the tissue. I ball-it-up in my hand with a little catnip in it & he goes crazy! 
roflmao.gif

my friend who has been waiting on her box finally got it in! posting it because it's a variation i haven't seen around a lot, and the sample sizes are killer. she seems really excited abou tit.
I also got this box. I love the half up thing despite thinking it was stupid- so much easier!

I also got this box. I love the half up thing despite thinking it was stupid- so much easier!
also is it sad that I'm seriously tempted to buy the beach waver by the same brand?

He's so handsome! :cat:  I usually don't throw the tissue paper away I save them for gifting. My kitty loves playing with the tissue. I ball-it-up in my hand with a little catnip in it & he goes crazy! :roflmao:  
Awwww he's so adorable!! I do the same thing with the tissue paper but no catnip required. Plus it's more digestible than the plastic bags he seems to be attracted to.

Quote: Originally Posted by tasertag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Awwww he's so adorable!! I do the same thing with the tissue paper but no catnip required. Plus it's more digestible than the plastic bags he seems to be attracted to.

THAT FACE. omg so cute. :3

I had posted this on the October Birchbox trade thread & thought I'd post it here too.

After receiving a Miss Jessie's PILLOW SOFT CURLS (big) sample foil I went to check out there website  (http://www.missjessies.com/shop/Free-Samples#.Ul7dp9JJMjQ).. After going through their products I really wanted to give Super Sweetback Treatment a try but can't find anyone to trade & 2pks are $8 on Ebay. Good thing I found this little awesome deal . Yippie

2 samples for $1 
yay.gif

If you decide to purchase right through there website I also found a coupon code : http://couponfollow.com/site/missjessies.com SCHOOL20

Finally tried out the Shea Terra rose hips facial cleanser and WOW!  Woke up with glowing skin and the pimple that was beginning to form was all dried up. 

Definitely purchasing the full size. 

I had posted this on the October Birchbox trade thread & thought I'd post it here too. After receiving a Miss Jessie's PILLOW SOFT CURLS (big) sample foil I went to check out there website  (http://www.missjessies.com/shop/Free-Samples#.Ul7dp9JJMjQ).. After going through their products I really wanted to give Super Sweetback Treatment a try but can't find anyone to trade & 2pks are $8 on Ebay. Good thing I found this little awesome deal . Yippie 2 samples for $1 :yay:

If you decide to purchase right through there website I also found a coupon code : http://couponfollow.com/site/missjessies.com SCHOOL20
Thank you so much!!! Completely fell in love with my sample of the Pillow Soft Curls. My curls have never felt and looked better. Ended up ordering the full size with my points, but going to check this out too.

Latest posts

Back