(Spoilers) Birchbox October 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got box 30 on Saturday, and I seriously love it!  The only thing is I can't get past the description BB gives of the DDF Wrinkle Resist Plus Pore Minimizer.  "Amino Peptides" is not a thing!  It's an oxymoron!  Why are they using this made up terminology? They describe it this way on the website too... I need to go see if this is something BB made up or if it is on the DDF website too.  It makes me wonder if they are using this as a scientific sounding term because they think it sounds more impressive, or if they just don't know any better :/

I got box 30 on Saturday, and I seriously love it!  The only thing is I can't get past the description BB gives of the DDF Wrinkle Resist Plus Pore Minimizer.  "Amino Peptides" is not a thing!  It's an oxymoron!  Why are they using this made up terminology? They describe it this way on the website too... I need to go see if this is something BB made up or if it is on the DDF website too.  It makes me wonder if they are using this as a scientific sounding term because they think it sounds more impressive, or if they just don't know any better :/
I'm confused. How is it not a thing? Peptides are small chains of amino acids used to promote collagen production. It seems related to me...

Man, I LOVE the Klorane. I think it is my favorite BB discovery. I use it to add a lil extra volume sometimes but in terms of using it on my "off shampoo" days... I spray it in my hair before I go to sleep per the suggestion of a MUT-er. That way it absorbs the oil & sort of shakes out a bit while I sleep. I wake up & no oiliness. This tip has worked like a dream for me.
Great idea! I'll have to try that!

Quote: Originally Posted by ShannonHey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peptides is short for amino acid monomers linked by peptide bonds, so saying "peptides", or "amino peptides" or "amino acid peptides" is not wrong or redundant at all :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by jbird1175 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Man, I LOVE the Klorane. I think it is my favorite BB discovery. I use it to add a lil extra volume sometimes but in terms of using it on my "off shampoo" days... I spray it in my hair before I go to sleep per the suggestion of a MUT-er. That way it absorbs the oil & sort of shakes out a bit while I sleep. I wake up & no oiliness. This tip has worked like a dream for me.
I agree the Klorane is awesome! I cant believe I've never heard of putting it on at bedtime, I am totally trying that!!  It makes perfect sense
smile.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by dousedingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. I'm going to see how dry shampoo goes on my next day off. I still have some of my oscar blandi pronto dry. I'll have to see if I am able to get my hair to be less oily by washing it less, but it might have to be an over time process! Really appreciate all of the responses!! I definitely want to try the Klorane now that so many have suggested it.

I just wanted to chime in because I've been doing this exact same experiment for almost a month now..for several reasons, but the main one being that I wanted my hair to grow faster, and BOY has it! BUT, as I type this, I am on day number seven without washing (yes, today is hair wash day, lol) What surprises me most is the * lack* of oil in my scalp area..of course, it's greasy, but, a month ago had I waited this long to wash without the "training" period, you'd have been able to fry bacon with all the grease in my head
smile.gif

Hang in there !
smile.gif
Same here Tiffany! Once I started washing my hair only 2x a week it grows SO fast.  It also seems to train your scalp after a while and there's less oil, like you said.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I agree the Klorane is awesome! I cant believe I've never heard of putting it on at bedtime, I am totally trying that!!  It makes perfect sense
smile.gif

Same here Tiffany! Once I started washing my hair only 2x a week it grows SO fast.  It also seems to train your scalp after a while and there's less oil, like you said.
How long does it usually take to reduce the oil? My problem is I can't really go into work looking like a hot mess. Lol. I deal with people all day and currently am seen as professional and on my way to a promotion, so it worries me that it will be unmanageable to work with.

Quote: Originally Posted by jbird1175 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks for passing this tip on! I love the idea of dry shampoo but always feel like I look like I dumped baby powder on my head. I'm going to try this night-before trick and see if it settles in and looks less obvious.

smile.gif

How long does it usually take to reduce the oil? My problem is I can't really go into work looking like a hot mess. Lol. I deal with people all day and currently am seen as professional and on my way to a promotion, so it worries me that it will be unmanageable to work with.

I still use dry shampoo every day that I don't wash my hair, or I would definitely look like a hot mess too LOL.  My roots just don't get as greasy as they used to when I washed my hair 5-6x a week.  I can't say for sure how long it took since I've been using dry shampoo regularly for a few years, but looking back I do notice a difference.  My job requires me to interface with executives of Fortune 500 companies all the time so I definitely can't go to work looking sloppy!  I really do think dry shampoo can give as much volume as blow drying and unwashed hair holds a curl so much better (at least for me).  The key for me has been finding a dry shampoo that combs out easily and doesn't leave a weird residue/gross feeling.  Klorane and Tigi's are by far my favorites.

I still use dry shampoo every day that I don't wash my hair, or I would definitely look like a hot mess too LOL.  My roots just don't get as greasy as they used to when I washed my hair 5-6x a week.  I can't say for sure how long it took since I've been using dry shampoo regularly for a few years, but looking back I do notice a difference.  My job requires me to interface with executives of Fortune 500 companies all the time so I definitely can't go to work looking sloppy!  I really do think dry shampoo can give as much volume as blow drying and unwashed hair holds a curl so much better (at least for me).  The key for me has been finding a dry shampoo that combs out easily and doesn't leave a weird residue/gross feeling.  Klorane and Tigi's are by far my favorites.
I like Kenra's

Question here: Anyone who received the Supergoop City Sunscreen Serum...did you notice your 5 ml sample seems more than half-empty?  (or less than half-full for those optimists out there 
ditsch.gif
).  Trying to decide if I should contact Birchbox.  I don't think there is a teaspoon of liquid in here.

Quote: Originally Posted by Momsgotmail /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I like Kenra's

Kenra's got a dry shampoo??  I'll have to check it out.  I use their heat styling thing.. love it.  Spray it in, let it dry, do my hair.. no hair spray.

I have been so excited that I should be getting my BB today and then realized that it is a holiday today so I have to wait another day!!!
mad.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Suki fans! Someone on the coupons board posted a RueLaLa deal where you can get $50 for $25 at Beauty Sage. Plus, Beauty Sage is having FS right now for all orders :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> https://www.makeuptalk.com/forum/newestpost/138431
omfg. i just hit the bottom of my suki exfoliator. i should totally do this.

Question here: Anyone who received the Supergoop City Sunscreen Serum...did you notice your 5 ml sample seems more than half-empty?  (or less than half-full for those optimists out there 
ditsch.gif
).  Trying to decide if I should contact Birchbox.  I don't think there is a teaspoon of liquid in here.
I think that's just how they come. I received an almost empty Supergoop eye cream sample in my Sample Society box a few months ago and complained about it to CS. They said that the packaging might look deceptively big, but if you put the sample on a kitchen scale you'd see that the numbers match. Still, for my trouble they applied a $25 voucher to my account to use on that particular product in their online store which stacked with the monthly code, so I ended up getting a fancy eye cream for like 10 bucks or something.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just wanted to chime in because I've been doing this exact same experiment for almost a month now..for several reasons, but the main one being that I wanted my hair to grow faster, and BOY has it! BUT, as I type this, I am on day number seven without washing (yes, today is hair wash day, lol) What surprises me most is the * lack* of oil in my scalp area..of course, it's greasy, but, a month ago had I waited this long to wash without the "training" period, you'd have been able to fry bacon with all the grease in my head
smile.gif

Hang in there !
smile.gif

I'm still in the washing every-other-day camp but that's been a huge improvement over what used to be daily washings. (And sometimes I forget I'm supposed to wash so I go two days without washing!) 

My hair is very fine and tends to be a lot more fragile when I use shampoo more frequently. There was definitely an adjustment period of a few weeks where my scalp was crazy oily. My stylist (who encouraged me to do this and admitted the adjustment can be odd) mentioned that even if you rinse your hair (but don't use shampoo) then you'll get most of the dirt/oil out and it feels better. This was basically how I would tide myself over through the oily period. It didn't rinse out all of the oil (so your scalp is still adjusting) but enough of it to make it tolerable. 

ditsch.gif
lol this just made me chuckle

smile.gif

Doused -- I gotta tell you -- I totally failed the whole low/no 'poo thing for just this reason.  I also have extremely fine hair that would get quite greasy looking and wanted to stop washing daily.  I stuck with it for about 6 weeks (I had to conditioner wash every other day to keep it looking decent for work -- just a little) and then gave up and went back to daily washing.  Dry shampoo would leave me in a big tangled and flaky mess, no matter what kind I used. I'm now back to washing most days (and every work day), but I use much less harsh shampoo (get shampoo for fine hair, not oily hair!) and make sure to use conditioner daily.  I can actually skip washing for a day without my hair looking horrible, but that's about it.

Don't want to be a downer or suggest it won't work for you, but just wanted to let you know that you probably won't wreck your hair with daily washing.  Clearly, lots of ladies here have been able to wash their hair less, and I hope it does for you.  But if you find you absolutely can't stand it -- well, except for that brief period, I've washed my hair daily for about 35 years and the washing hasn't hurt it.  Other issues (like overprocessing) have challenged me lately, but even the woman who cuts it says it's healthy despite the daily washing.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Suki fans! Someone on the coupons board posted a RueLaLa deal where you can get $50 for $25 at Beauty Sage. Plus, Beauty Sage is having FS right now for all orders :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> https://www.makeuptalk.com/forum/newestpost/138431
Omg, thanks! I was so sad when I missed this deal last time.  I'm totally buying the Klorane shampoo and conditioner
smile.gif

ETA - oh hells yeah! The Klorane shampoo, conditioner and dry shampoo comes to exactly $50
headphonedance.gif
Don't mind if I do!

Latest posts

Back