(Spoilers) Birchbox October 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got the Stainiac sample last year and I recently rediscovered it a few months ago and I've been trying to use it more. I think the main thing that bothers me is the squelching sound. Gross. lol

Top picture is with about 7 layers?

Bottom is with a clear gloss on top.

I don't have naturally light or pink lips but I can layer it on to build a brighter color. I usually like about 2-3 layers to get a good tint, but I built it up to see how bright I could go. I think the key thing to this product is to exfoliate a little before applying (cuz I sure didn't lol) and I start on dry lips. I don't swipe it on, I dab some on and pat it in with my fingers. I think most of the color comes off if you just swipe it on with your finger, or you get  a color ring or something. I don't think it look as good when you layer too much, but it's great for a good tint of color. But it's not super long lasting either. 

Just my two cents~

Quote: Originally Posted by AMaas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Ughghgh...still waiting on my box.  Doesn't look like it will be delivered until Wednesday.  Weight is .4050.  I'm trying SO hard not to look at my account and spoil the surprise! 
Incredible willpower, I try each month not to peek but I just can't stay away!

Quote: Originally Posted by queenofperil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you're a fair to light-medium girl with yellow undertones, it's super hard to find a drugstore foundation. It's actually been impossible for me. All the Fit Me concealers are also way too pink. I have no idea why it's such an issue with drugstore products, but it's pretty frustrating. On the other hand, you may like those concealers for that reason (pink undertones). I've heard they're really good.

Anther yellow undertoner here!  I agree, it is rather impossible!  I've basically just given up on drugstore face makeup of all kinds.  It isn't any cheaper to buy drugstore brands, when you end up buying 2-4 different kinds that aren't returnable. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Quote: Originally Posted by normajean2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anther yellow undertoner here!  I agree, it is rather impossible!  I've basically just given up on drugstore face makeup of all kinds.  It isn't any cheaper to buy drugstore brands, when you end up buying 2-4 different kinds that aren't returnable. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I probably haven't bought drugstore makeup (foundation) in years, but I was just checking the price on some of the liquids today at CVS and I was SHOCKED at how expensive they've become!

I think most drugstore makeup is returnable with a receipt in a certain timeframe. Like if you found out the foundation you tried doesn't work for you, I'm pretty sure most places take returns no questions asked. It's not like you can easily swatch shades in the store. 

yeah another here that is yellow toned pale, I hear so much love for drugstore products and every time I regret it. Plus, at least in my area, makeup returns are based on store manager approval and I'm not taking that chance when I'm not willing to give up 12-15 bucks.

It's even harder since I'm olive toned light (in MAC closest is b/w NC20, MUFE probably 117/120), so although I technically fall into the warm side of foundations it's never yellow enough lol. Everything has too much peach or pink in it's base but the closest I can get is in 'high-end' foundations - so Chanel, Giorgio Armani, Bobbi Brown, Koh Gen Do, MUFE. The drugstore brands have found a way to guarantee increased $$$ by sliding me up the scale and by keeping me from buying cheaper lol.

Well, I know for sure you can return makeup at CVS. I returned a foundation, because it didn't match me, and a tinted lip balm, because it looked like I didn't do anything to my lips. And I think I've returned something at Target before, I'm not sure. I've returned foundation at Ulta before too.

I don't want to spend my money willy-nilly on makeup without the option of returning it if it isn't right for me. So I always ask someone what the return policy is on cosmetics. 

Well, I know for sure you can return makeup at CVS. I returned a foundation, because it didn't match me, and a tinted lip balm, because it looked like I didn't do anything to my lips. And I think I've returned something at Target before, I'm not sure. I've returned foundation at Ulta before too. I don't want to spend my money willy-nilly on makeup without the option of returning it if it isn't right for me. So I always ask someone what the return policy is on cosmetics. 
Walgreens also has an excellent return policy when it comes to makeup

Quote: Originally Posted by jannie135 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Well, I know for sure you can return makeup at CVS. I returned a foundation, because it didn't match me, and a tinted lip balm, because it looked like I didn't do anything to my lips. And I think I've returned something at Target before, I'm not sure. I've returned foundation at Ulta before too.

I don't want to spend my money willy-nilly on makeup without the option of returning it if it isn't right for me. So I always ask someone what the return policy is on cosmetics. 

Oh that's true, I forgot about CVS! We just started getting them here in the bay area (before Walgreens was the foothold) and Target finally has started showing up more...(people are really anti big box stores here) I know Target doesn't have a clear policy I can reference with beauty returns, I've been denied an exchange when I got the wrong Cerave cleanser (unused!) and with make up I've asked and they tell me it really depends on the person. At Walgreen's I've browsed while hearing people get denied often enough I just don't think I'd bother trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Walgreens also has an excellent return policy when it comes to makeup

Walgreen's official policy is store manager discretion so I think it just depends on your area/store

yup. i shop for my drugstore makeup via cvs and ulta because they have a no questions asked policy if i dislike something. duane reade wasn't like this when i lived in nyc.

For anyone wanting to compare Benetint and Stainiac, Benetint was one of the 100 point samples at my Sephora today.

There is a Walgreens by my husband's work that I know allows returns if you've tried it for the cosmetics department.  But the location a few blocks from our apartment doesn't allow cosmetics returns with out manager approval, and only up to like $15 or so.  All the store locations by our apartment suck for returns (they get away with different policies because they are "downtown" locations).

I had bad reaction to that color tattoo eyeshadow pot stuff, bought it at Target.  When I went to see if I can return it, there were two girls in front of me.  They were trying to return a set of Sonia Kashuk makeup brushes, with receipt...but the set was kind of jumbled up inside (like it was shaken around too much), and the guy working wouldn't even let them return it for store credit, because they look too questionable--like they used them.  But when I got to the counter, said I had a reaction, he gave me back my money no questions asked, lol.  Those girls were P-O'd seeing that!

I usually just shop Nordstrom or Sephora unless it is something I know works for me.

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. I'm going to see how dry shampoo goes on my next day off. I still have some of my oscar blandi pronto dry. I'll have to see if I am able to get my hair to be less oily by washing it less, but it might have to be an over time process! Really appreciate all of the responses!! I definitely want to try the Klorane now that so many have suggested it.

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. I'm going to see how dry shampoo goes on my next day off. I still have some of my oscar blandi pronto dry. I'll have to see if I am able to get my hair to be less oily by washing it less, but it might have to be an over time process! Really appreciate all of the responses!! I definitely want to try the Klorane now that so many have suggested it.
Man, I LOVE the Klorane. I think it is my favorite BB discovery. I use it to add a lil extra volume sometimes but in terms of using it on my "off shampoo" days... I spray it in my hair before I go to sleep per the suggestion of a MUT-er. That way it absorbs the oil & sort of shakes out a bit while I sleep. I wake up & no oiliness. This tip has worked like a dream for me.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I probably haven't bought drugstore makeup (foundation) in years, but I was just checking the price on some of the liquids today at CVS and I was SHOCKED at how expensive they've become!
I was shocked at the price of eye shadow at the drugstore lately.  Lorac shadow pods *always* go on sale for $6 and there's plenty at my local drugstore much higher than that.

Quote: Originally Posted by barbyechick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Walgreen's official policy is store manager discretion so I think it just depends on your area/store
Yup, and my local Walgreens sucks!  The manager isn't friendly.  My Rite Aid offers returns if the color doesn't match you though! 

Quote: Originally Posted by jbird1175 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Man, I LOVE the Klorane. I think it is my favorite BB discovery. I use it to add a lil extra volume sometimes but in terms of using it on my "off shampoo" days... I spray it in my hair before I go to sleep per the suggestion of a MUT-er. That way it absorbs the oil & sort of shakes out a bit while I sleep. I wake up & no oiliness. This tip has worked like a dream for me.
Thanks for passing on that tip!  I will try that!

I just wanted to chime in because I've been doing this exact same experiment for almost a month now..for several reasons, but the main one being that I wanted my hair to grow faster, and BOY has it! BUT, as I type this, I am on day number seven without washing (yes, today is hair wash day, lol) What surprises me most is the * lack* of oil in my scalp area..of course, it's greasy, but, a month ago had I waited this long to wash without the "training" period, you'd have been able to fry bacon with all the grease in my head :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hang in there ! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back