(Spoilers) Birchbox October 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by gemstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I mean, you were right though about the fit me foundation being awesome. I just bought it this week and can see myself using it even more than my fancypants NARS foundation.  Not that the NARS isn't really great, but the fit me is just so quick to put on because of the packaging, and I am lazy 
smilehappyyes.gif

Fit Me is seriously amazing. It's basically the thing I've been needing for my skin my whole life. I have super oily skin, but I hate wearing heavy foundation because its just so dang humid where I live. I love how weightless that stuff feels.

Quote: Originally Posted by CuriouslyAmanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by AngeBrooklyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Yes, I'd like some cheese with my whine--

I've had a "Your box has shipped" email since Monday and a clicky truck, but NO shipping info on UPS.com or USPS.com.  I want my BB!
Strangely I never got an email. I had to sign into my account and saw the truck with the tracking number.

Welcome!

The Benefit Fake Up sample does look small, but it's under-eye concealer, so you only need a tiny amount each time. I've used it three times so far, and I've barely made a dent in it. I think the sample will last for at least a month, if not several. That's really plenty to get a good idea of whether you like the product and want to buy the full-size. So far, I like it, and it hasn't appeared too shiny on my skin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dousedingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So not terribly on topic but figure since all of you ladies are so good at discovery and have been doing the birchbox thing for awhile, maybe one of you might have input... so I've never been great at the "girl" thing mostly because my mom never taught me and was always more of a tomboy and had other tomboy girlfriends, but something I've always been curious about...

I have really fine, thin, oily hair/scalp, though it does respond well to heat and with certain products will at least look good throughout the day on a simple blow out. But I've always heard not to wash your hair daily. But with oily hair, if I don't wash daily, it looks greasy (so I don't skip). But supposedly this is damaging. I color my hair, and wash daily (with crap shampoo to boot... because if I'm washing daily, not going to spend extra money on something that will need replacing often) and my hair is seemingly healthy. Minimal split ends, shiny, mostly soft except when the thin/fine part kicks in and it's slightly tangly, but should I be looking into ways to cut down on washing regardless? Could this potentially be damaging in the long run? Or does this just not apply to those with oily hair?

Sorry for the off topic questions, if anyone has insight, would be much appreciated!
Once you get in the habit of washing your hair less, you might find that it ends up less greasy.  I have baby-fine hair that tends to get a lot of grease at the roots--I'm the opposite extreme because I took up conditioner washing but the premise is the same.  When I stopped washing my hair for quite some time I looked like someone put lard on my scalp, but over time my body got the hint.  Your body makes the oil for a reason, and when it doesn't have to, it lets up (in theory, everyone is different) This is actually how I 'cured' my teenage acne--used less harsh cleansers, skin ended up less oily.

Edit: annnd someone already had posted the same info...  That's what I get for not reading the thread :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by ILikeGiants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The Benefit Fake Up sample does look small, but it's under-eye concealer, so you only need a tiny amount each time. I've used it three times so far, and I've barely made a dent in it. I think the sample will last for at least a month, if not several. That's really plenty to get a good idea of whether you like the product and want to buy the full-size. So far, I like it, and it hasn't appeared too shiny on my skin.
I think it is a bit shiny, but it doesn't dry into my fine lines.  For the last year or so I am starting to notice when makeup does that and when I smile it exaggerates the ageing around my eyes.  I am only 30 and am in ok shape skin-wise, but I certainly don't want to call attention to the subtle changes.  I'm pretty sensitive about it.

Chiming in on the subject of washing hair less, I started doing Curly Girl method a few years ago. I couldn't do no 'poo (shampoo), so I do low 'poo, which means I use a sulfate free shampoo (EO Essentials) and a silicone free conditioner, and I only wash my hair every other day. The other thing, is that I twist my hair and clip it up, when I sleep, so it stays in nice curls and doesn't get very tangled. This has proved to be life changing for my hair.

I do use a dry shampoo or volumizer on my roots, sometimes. I love the Amika dry shampoo, and the Oscar Blandi volumizer, because neither leaves an ashy residue on my scalp hair. The Amika smells amazing, too. I know it sounds expensive, but a bottle lasts so long for me, that it's not really.

I could not stop using super fine-point black Sharpies at my work.  It's problematic for others because it bleeds through our forms (I work in admin. in a healthcare facility so what I write gets passed through many different hands at times) but IT MAKES EVERYTHING LOOK SO BOLD AND CRISP.  (Of course I've obliged for those who have jokingly given me a hard time about it but bahhh they are my favorite pens!)

The Klorane dry shampoo is the best I have used (i havent samples the lulu clay stuff). My hair is thicker/course but I don't have a lot of it.. My bang area gets oily on day two and that usually is a good enough fix. I wash mine every other day.. I always ue conditioner and start at the bottom (I have very long hair) and them move up, I hardly apply any at the top and that has helped a lot. I used to have a very oily face and about two or three years ago I stopped using harsh products made for oily/acne prone skin. I use more heavy moisturizers at night and in the morning I only use water to wash my face. That has made a huge improvement in my oiliness! My face loves the benefit triple Immulsion moisturizer, it absorbs quickly and doesn't make me breakout. I get it with a code/points from BB.. I also swear by Mally's Poreless Face Defender, it's the last thing I do every morning, I pat it on my t zone with a clean finger.

Have you thought about buying the "sharpie pens"? They never bleed and come in awesome colors! I think they're $1 maybe $1.50 a pen at target? My other favorite felt tip fine point pens are Staedtlers. You'll get the same bold impact with both without the bleeding :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I could not stop using super fine-point black Sharpies at my work.  It's problematic for others because it bleeds through our forms (I work in admin. in a healthcare facility so what I write gets passed through many different hands at times) but IT MAKES EVERYTHING LOOK SO BOLD AND CRISP.  (Of course I've obliged for those who have jokingly given me a hard time about it but bahhh they are my favorite pens!)

Ughghgh...still waiting on my box.  Doesn't look like it will be delivered until Wednesday.  Weight is .4050.  I'm trying SO hard not to look at my account and spoil the surprise! 

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you thought about buying the "sharpie pens"? They never bleed and come in awesome colors! I think they're $1 maybe $1.50 a pen at target? My other favorite felt tip fine point pens are Staedtlers. You'll get the same bold impact with both without the bleeding
smile.gif
Quote: Originally Posted by donutbaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

iagree.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Fit Me is seriously amazing. It's basically the thing I've been needing for my skin my whole life. I have super oily skin, but I hate wearing heavy foundation because its just so dang humid where I live. I love how weightless that stuff feels.

Damn. I have the oiliest skin on the planet, and I've wanted to try this foundation. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any of the shades are yellow enough for my skin. :/

Quote: Originally Posted by queenofperil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Damn. I have the oiliest skin on the planet, and I've wanted to try this foundation. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any of the shades are yellow enough for my skin. :/

that was another thing i loved about it actually, i got classic ivory and the pink undertones in it were perfect for my skin, the last few bb creams i've tried have been too yellow for me.

Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that was another thing i loved about it actually, i got classic ivory and the pink undertones in it were perfect for my skin, the last few bb creams i've tried have been too yellow for me.

If you're a fair to light-medium girl with yellow undertones, it's super hard to find a drugstore foundation. It's actually been impossible for me. All the Fit Me concealers are also way too pink. I have no idea why it's such an issue with drugstore products, but it's pretty frustrating. On the other hand, you may like those concealers for that reason (pink undertones). I've heard they're really good.

Quote: Originally Posted by queenofperil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you're a fair to light-medium girl with yellow undertones, it's super hard to find a drugstore foundation. It's actually been impossible for me. All the Fit Me concealers are also way too pink. I have no idea why it's such an issue with drugstore products, but it's pretty frustrating. On the other hand, you may like those concealers for that reason (pink undertones). I've heard they're really good.
I have such empathy!  I also have light yellow-undertone skin.  I have a difficult time with foundations.  I like bare minerals fairly light powder, and my new love, The Body Shop's cool-toned BB cream.  All my posts over in the IPSY thread not wanting green polish.  Love green, don't wear much of it!  I have a hard time in the summer because of all the corals. 

Quote: Originally Posted by OiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And last but not least, Miss Jessie's conditioner is a very generous sample, despite being a foil. I think I can get three solid uses out of it and still have some left over. 

I received Miss Jessie's as well. I put the contents of the foil in a 2oz. pill container. I have shoulder length very thick hair and have used it four times now. I will probably get 4 more uses out of it. Best foil size ever.

Ughghgh...still waiting on my box.  Doesn't look like it will be delivered until Wednesday.  Weight is .4050.  I'm trying SO hard not to look at my account and spoil the surprise! 
I think I'm getting the same box as you and mines getting delivered the same day. I need to not look at spoilers because at first I was disappointed but now I'm in love with the box!

I thought my box would come while I was out of town this weekend.  No luck.  It has now spent 5 days in a city 30 mins away from my house.  What gives post office?  At this rate I will get my Ipsy bag before my BB.  

Latest posts

Back