(Spoilers) Birchbox October 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by dousedingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My hair is too short!! That and I do not have the head/face for updos. =o(

Out of curiosity, when you skip washing, do you rinse your hair at all with water, or do you throw it up and keep it dry?

I keep it dry. If it gets wet then it just feels weighed down and gross when it drys. 

Has anybody received the Bain de Terre products yet?  I'm curious as to what size they are - if they're bottles or packets.  Thanks

Quote: Originally Posted by queenofperil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I keep it dry. If it gets wet then it just feels weighed down and gross when it drys. 
Good to know... well I think on my next day off (which isn't for a week waaah) I will try dry shampoo and styling it and seeing what happens... 

Thanks for all the tips ladies. If anyone else has any feel free to chime in as well lol =o)

Has anybody received the Bain de Terre products yet?  I'm curious as to what size they are - if they're bottles or packets.  Thanks
The shampoo and conditioner? Huge 1.7 oz bottles. Awesome sizes. I watch too much YouTube and the ladies who do Birchbox opening videos who have gotten the Bain de Terre are very excited about the size of the samples.

Received my box today! I was hoping to try the stainiac but didn't get it. I did get the Ruffian nail polish in Hedge Fund which I love! Overall a good box this month
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Good to know... well I think on my next day off (which isn't for a week waaah) I will try dry shampoo and styling it and seeing what happens... 

Thanks for all the tips ladies. If anyone else has any feel free to chime in as well lol =o)

I wish I could be more helpful, but I've just lived with the constant oil slick that is my face and hair. The oil on my face...ugh, don't get me started.

i thought that i would hate the pop beauty lipgloss but i tried it today and it feels great. this is definitely not your typical lip gloss.  i layered it over my bobbi brown sheer lip color in carolina and i received the fuchsia color (in box 1). i have enough lip products to last me a lifetime, so i won't buy it immediately.  i wish that i got the naked princess gloss last year b/c i'm very curious about that brand.

i thought that i would hate the pop beauty lipgloss but i tried it today and it feels great. this is definitely not your typical lip gloss.  i layered it over my bobbi brown sheer lip color in carolina and i received the fuchsia color (in box 1). i have enough lip products to last me a lifetime, so i won't buy it immediately.  i wish that i got the naked princess gloss last year b/c i'm very curious about that brand.
That color looks gorgeous on you!!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lip and cheek stain made from roses or something and was developed when a stripped wanted something to rosy up her nips. There's a great commercial about it. Check it out on YouTube.
Concealer
Oh my gosh is it weird that I want to try it on my nipples now? I feel really weird about it but I am just so curious! What a weird use!

Quote: Originally Posted by jkfinl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

R there any lip glosses that AREN'T sticky?
I got a gloss from Klutchclub a few months back that is definitely not sticky. I can find it and tell you the name if you (or anyone else here) is actually looking for something like that.

So not terribly on topic but figure since all of you ladies are so good at discovery and have been doing the birchbox thing for awhile, maybe one of you might have input... so I've never been great at the "girl" thing mostly because my mom never taught me and was always more of a tomboy and had other tomboy girlfriends, but something I've always been curious about...

I have really fine, thin, oily hair/scalp, though it does respond well to heat and with certain products will at least look good throughout the day on a simple blow out. But I've always heard not to wash your hair daily. But with oily hair, if I don't wash daily, it looks greasy (so I don't skip). But supposedly this is damaging. I color my hair, and wash daily (with crap shampoo to boot... because if I'm washing daily, not going to spend extra money on something that will need replacing often) and my hair is seemingly healthy. Minimal split ends, shiny, mostly soft except when the thin/fine part kicks in and it's slightly tangly, but should I be looking into ways to cut down on washing regardless? Could this potentially be damaging in the long run? Or does this just not apply to those with oily hair?

Sorry for the off topic questions, if anyone has insight, would be much appreciated!
Your hair sounds just like mine (up until about a year ago when mine changed...PCOS and thyroid problems dried me up from the neck up, lol).  I grew up with greasy roots, that by the next morning looked like somebody poured bacon grease on my head.  I had to wash every day, and my mom wouldn't buy the "good" shampoo either.  I also had to use conditioner because my hair would tangle into a birds nest if you even looked at it the wrong way.

By the time I was a teenager working though, I took my hair care into my own hands/wallet.  I quit using products for oily or fine hair, because I realized after some experiments, that the more I "mopped up" the oiliness or dried it out with the "fine hair" stuff, the more oil my scalp produced.  I started using a moisturizing formula shampoo, with conditioner only on the ends, detangler spray on the top half...and it started to even out the oil, I could finally go two days on one hair wash.

I also had good response from brushing my hair out gently each day with a boar bristle brush.  It pulls the oil down the hair shaft, and helps with tangles too.

It is expensive, but the LuLu Organics Lavender & Clary Sage hair powder works really well, and lots of people swear by the Klorane dry shampoo.  Sprinkle/spray all over your roots, scrub in with fingers, brush out with brush..if needed "re dry" a few minutes with the hair dryer, and it'll look and feel like you just washed it.  Heat styling works well after dry shampoos too, the added texture holds the style better.

Your scalp is just like facial oil problems...they more you wash, more harsh products you use, the oilier your skin gets, to over compensate the lack of oil from washing it all away.  I usually takes a little while to get used to it/get the oil regulated, but a lot of people have good luck washing every other day (or longer for drier hair).

Quote: Originally Posted by flynt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So how does using the Staniac on the cheeks work if you wear face makeup?  It seems like if you put it on before foundation/BB Cream that it would get covered up but that if you put it on after that it would get muddy mixing with the face makeup?
You put it on after your foundation etc.  It doesn't really mix in with your makeup.  It is a gel that sit on top, and you're just spreading/blending the gel in on top of your makeup.  It is really light weight gel.

Quote: Originally Posted by tasertag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really wanted to love the stainiac but it doesn't show up on my lips.. Maybe I'll need to add a second layer of it.
I haven't tried the stainiac shade they put in the boxes this month, but I have a full size of the "homecoming queen", which is peach.  It hardly shows up on my pale lips too, even after 3 layers.  Just makes them a tad red looking, like chapped lips, lol.  Great as a blush, although I don't know if it'd even show as a blush on tan/darker skin.

Me too.  I tried two separate times and the second time I did 3 coats and it was still barely noticeable - and it was gone by the end of the first hour.  It didn't work as a cheek stain at all.  So disappointed.  I got one in each of my two subs and I really wanted to like it!
Thanks, for your candid review. I wanted to try it too, but didn't get a sample.

The fake up sample is roughly 1/10th the size of the full size, not sure if the full tube is just really small, or there is more product inside the sample tube than will roll up. I want to dig in to see, but I know the sample won't last too long before I'll be able to tell anyway. Either way this might be the first time I really wanted to try a product before Birchbox sampled it (and I also managed to get it in a box)
Maybelline has a similar product called Fit Me that has 10 color choices. I sampled it through Target and I really like it, enough to want to buy a full size. In case anyone wants to try a cheaper knock off.

Maybelline has a similar product called Fit Me that has 10 color choices. I sampled it through Target and I really like it, enough to want to buy a full size. In case anyone wants to try a cheaper knock off.
Fit me is a foundation and fake up is a concealer. The white ring around the color of fake up is a moisturizer, while the white center on fit me is supposed to control shine. So while they look similar, they are totally different products.

I have pale lips, and the stainiac was very attractive on my lips.  The color is buildable.  BUT...the color didn't last very long through eating and drinking.

Fit me is a foundation and fake up is a concealer. The white ring around the color of fake up is a moisturizer, while the white center on fit me is supposed to control shine. So while they look similar, they are totally different products.
My bad, thanks. Like the Fit Me foundation.

Quote: Originally Posted by jkfinl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My bad, thanks. Like the Fit Me foundation.
I mean, you were right though about the fit me foundation being awesome. I just bought it this week and can see myself using it even more than my fancypants NARS foundation.  Not that the NARS isn't really great, but the fit me is just so quick to put on because of the packaging, and I am lazy 
smilehappyyes.gif

You put it on after your foundation etc.  It doesn't really mix in with your makeup.  It is a gel that sit on top, and you're just spreading/blending the gel in on top of your makeup.  It is really light weight gel. I haven't tried the stainiac shade they put in the boxes this month, but I have a full size of the "homecoming queen", which is peach.  It hardly shows up on my pale lips too, even after 3 layers.  Just makes them a tad red looking, like chapped lips, lol.  Great as a blush, although I don't know if it'd even show as a blush on tan/darker skin.
I applied it to my arm to see if it would show up. Nope. It just soaked it up.

My hair gets oily- but I don't have the fine problem, my hair is super thick and has enough volume for eight people.  However, I have a few friends with this problem, they used baby powder as a dry shampoo.. it's gentle and it soaks up the oil pretty well.  I can't use it because my hair is dark, but on my blonde friends it worked really well.  I also felt like I needed to wash my hair every day, and I stopped conditioning the top of it and only doing the parts far away from my scalp, and switched to a hydrating shampoo.  The other thing I've found is that if I don't switch my shampoo/conditioner out often, my hair gets really angry because it gets used to the shampoo and conditioner.  I buy a few different ones that are all mid-price range and switch them out during the week.  I also have dandruff problems so I use a dandruff shampoo once or twice a week, my hair is dyed so I try to keep my John Frieda Reds around, a few Herbal Essences shampoos, and occasionally I'll throw in a nicer shampoo/conditioner duo that I have foil packets of.  I try to deep condition my hair once a week (twice if I've just dyed it)- and my hair is definitely healthier than it has been in a long long time.

Latest posts

Back