(Spoilers) Birchbox October 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ann Tucci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Curious if the no 'poo-ers gym or workout daily/regularly?  How do you reduce gym funk from your hair if you don't use 'poo everyday, do you find dry shampoo is enough?

I have fine, thin, oily hair too and only occasionally skip a day of 'poo here and there, usually on the weekends.  But I find I have to soap up after a workout, my hair is so thin it sometimes looks like I've taken a shower during my workout or after a run, because I sweat so much my hair is too thin to soak up all the sweat. Lovely, isn't it?

I usually wear a hat/headbands at the gym to help keep my hair out of my face and absorb the sweat, but it makes my hair ultra stinky, I feel like I HAVE to shampoo almost daily to get rid of gym funk.  
I only work out like 2-3x a week and usually plan my shampoo days around my gym days.  Though, I will say that my hair is super thick so it can take some sweating without getting totally wrecked and for those cases, I will sometimes use Tresseme's foaming waterless shampoo.  You apply it like mousse and then rub with a towel.  I also [obsessively] dry my forehead and neck with a towel the entire time I am working out to keep my hair as dry as possible.  Btw, I just do spin class and to be honest I am not a big sweater.

It's not that I care about being hard on my hair by shampooing it all the time, it's more because I am lazy and don't want to get up any earlier lol.  My hair is down to my mid back and super thick so washing and blow drying every day is just not something I am willing to do.  I'm not sure that dry shampoo would work as well for someone with thin hair, but I guess I don't really know.

To comment on what a few people said about being too powdery, I've found the best way to work the dry shampoo in and absorb oil is to use a comb in a back and forth 'sawing' motion (without going all the way down to your scalp).

Quote: Originally Posted by JamieO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The amazing thing about the lip tars is that you can mix them, so if one shade isn't necessarily right for you, you can kind of play around and mix different shades to get something that's perfect for you. I'm so glad they finally came out with minis too! Those things are SOOOOO pigmented that it only takes a tiny drop of product to keep insane color, therefor making it impossible to get through an entire full-size (at least for me).
Hmm JamieO...I think you are totally enabling me here, lol! But thanks for the tip.

Quote: Originally Posted by Wida /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The fibers are supposed to be dry. You brush them onto wet mascara and they adhere to that. Then you add another layer of mascara over the fibers. They really do give you some great lashes, but the Too Faced mascara isn't my favorite. I've started experimenting with other mascaras and the fibers as I find the Too Faced one is sticky and leaves black smudges on my brow bone and under my eyes.
Thanks Wida! I never would've figured that out without your comment. I'm not a big mascara person either and when I do use it I prefer to stick to Blinc. However, since I got these in a set I love so much otherwise, I might give the mascara system a try. If I absolutely hate it, I'll pass it on to a family member who won't mind that I used it one time first.

Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  benefit needs to take notes from liz earle. nice packaging and nice amount of product! i'm honestly the size of the sample alone is reason enough for me to be glad i didn't get it.
True. I wanted it before I knew about the size of it. That being said, since I hated it for being too shiny and greasy, the size actually didn't matter in the long run, lol!

Quote: Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I only work out like 2-3x a week and usually plan my shampoo days around my gym days.  Though, I will say that my hair is super thick so it can take some sweating without getting totally wrecked and for those cases, I will sometimes use Tresseme's foaming waterless shampoo.  You apply it like mousse and then rub with a towel.  I also [obsessively] dry my forehead and neck with a towel the entire time I am working out to keep my hair as dry as possible.  Btw, I just do spin class and to be honest I am not a big sweater.

It's not that I care about being hard on my hair by shampooing it all the time, it's more because I am lazy and don't want to get up any earlier lol.  My hair is down to my mid back and super thick so washing and blow drying every day is just not something I am willing to do.  I'm not sure that dry shampoo would work as well for someone with thin hair, but I guess I don't really know.

To comment on what a few people said about being too powdery, I've found the best way to work the dry shampoo in and absorb oil is to use a comb in a back and forth 'sawing' motion (without going all the way down to your scalp).
You're lucky!  I break out in a hard core sweat just warming up.

I crossfit, so I can't stop and pat down, which is why I prefer to wear a hat. I just let the sweat fly.  I was asked if I was punched the other day by one of the coaches.  In reality it was just my mascara or eyeliner smeared all over my eye.  I wod at night so whatever makeup is left on my face goes with me to the gym.

It's not so much that I care if about the washing/non washing it's the stank of hard core sweating, then sleeping on it, then rolling with sweaty bed head the next day. It probably only annoys me, since I doubt anyone else can smell my hair other than me, or the boyfriend (he can deal) and the cat, but he prefers my hair dirty so he can groom me.  

I tend to use dry shampoo as a styling product to 'thicken' my hair in addition to absorbing oil.  I'll look into the Tresseme stuff.  I like the line already. Thanks!

Quote: Originally Posted by HeatherS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I received Box 3 and I like it!
12 Benefits hair treatment- used it once so far, smells really good
Dr. Brandt skin exfoliant- made my skin really soft and smells really good too!
Super goop sunscreen- haven't used it but I could always use more sunscreen (hope I don't regret saying that!)
Thebalm staniac- not too impressed, not much color
And of course, the Chapstick which I actually really like! It's not too vanilla-y

Someone earlier was asking about the sunscreen sample not being very full, mine isn't either, I think that's just the way they are. Overall, I'm happy 😊 I had not tried any of these products before.
We had the exact same boxes!  I liked mine too!  I just don't feel there could possibly be 5 ml in the tube, and I want to trade it, or else I would squeeze it into a teaspoon to test it it out...I am going to email cs.  Can't hurt I guess.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How much is listed on the sunscreen tube? I have a Supergoop CC cream tube right here that says it's 3ml. That's actually 0.6 tsp even though the tube can clearly hold much more than that, so if the tube says 5ml and there is a full teaspoon in there, it contains what it says regardless of the size of the tube. On one hand, it's a badly packaged sample because it looks like it should have much more, but on the other hand, this seems to be standard with tube samples. I kind of get the feeling that si many people complained about foils that companies decided to put the same amounts in tubes, but these are the smallest tubes they can get their hands on.
But companies like clarins and murad have the dinkiest tubes you've ever seen.  It isn't that they can't get smaller tubes...it is another reason.  

Quote: Originally Posted by ShannonHey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Not really... peptides isn't short for anything, it's a word meaning amino acid monomers linked by peptide bonds, specifically short chains.  No scientist would ever use the phrase "amino peptides", it's just not used, all peptides are by definition made of amino acids so it's unnecessary.  It's like saying "wooden tree" or "canine dog"... just sounds ridiculous.  BUT I did find by googling that it's a "nonscientific" term coined by skincare companies, and is used by other companies such as Olay, so I forgive BB for using it.  
I guess I should have been more clear, because I was not talking about the scientific description of peptides (there isn't one as far as I know). I was talking specifically about the term cosmetic companies put on the bottles.

Quote: Originally Posted by Meggpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I rinse with a silicone-free conditioner after the gym--Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle is my favorite for post-workout.

What I still haven't mastered is what to do after a swim.  I'm currently rehabbing my back and can't run so I would like to get back into swimming laps, but the whole reason I stopped swimming was because it was killing my hair routine.  Swim caps make me feel claustrophobic.

My cousin is a swimmer with great hair (how is that possible?!) Have you tried Aubrey Organics stuff? I know the Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditoner is popular among some swimmers and they also have a specific Swimmer's Normalizing Conditioner

I am shocked by how many hair products have alcohol in them--even hair oils, serums, and conditioners. When I cut out all of those products, my hair became so much healthier! Alcohol is so drying and harsh on hair and skin.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ann Tucci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Curious if the no 'poo-ers gym or workout daily/regularly?  How do you reduce gym funk from your hair if you don't use 'poo everyday, do you find dry shampoo is enough?

I have fine, thin, oily hair too and only occasionally skip a day of 'poo here and there, usually on the weekends.  But I find I have to soap up after a workout, my hair is so thin it sometimes looks like I've taken a shower during my workout or after a run, because I sweat so much my hair is too thin to soak up all the sweat. Lovely, isn't it?

I usually wear a hat/headbands at the gym to help keep my hair out of my face and absorb the sweat, but it makes my hair ultra stinky, I feel like I HAVE to shampoo almost daily to get rid of gym funk.  
I wonder about this too! I workout everyday and I leave the gym with my hair soaked...I HAVE to wash my hair after but I know its not healthy for it! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I started to develop super oily hair this summer. Literally after washing it..it would still be oily! I switched to L'Oreal's sulfate and silicone free shampoo and conditioner a couple weeks ago. I've seen a HUGE improvement and my hair doesn't get all funky anymore. 

Quote: Originally Posted by jannie135 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So I got the Stainiac sample last year and I recently rediscovered it a few months ago and I've been trying to use it more. I think the main thing that bothers me is the squelching sound. Gross. lol

Top picture is with about 7 layers?

Bottom is with a clear gloss on top.

I don't have naturally light or pink lips but I can layer it on to build a brighter color. I usually like about 2-3 layers to get a good tint, but I built it up to see how bright I could go. I think the key thing to this product is to exfoliate a little before applying (cuz I sure didn't lol) and I start on dry lips. I don't swipe it on, I dab some on and pat it in with my fingers. I think most of the color comes off if you just swipe it on with your finger, or you get  a color ring or something. I don't think it look as good when you layer too much, but it's great for a good tint of color. But it's not super long lasting either.

Just my two cents~
Thanks for the tips I am getting this in one of my boxes. I like the way it looks on you with the  gloss.

Quote:Originally Posted by Ann Tucci /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have fine hair but I have a LOT, weird combo but it makes skipping a shampoo almost impossible. I tried to cut down and get through the adjustment phase , but my hair is way too oily. I made it probably 3 weeks in before my Mother asked if I was trying to capture that dirty hippie look. I tried just rinsing it with water daily and it seems that just spread the oil to the ends of my hair making the whole mess limp and disgusting.(I also experienced full blown acne all over my scalp, not just the hairline) I have found that if you use quality products that work for your hair type, daily washings do not have any negative effects. I have found that dry shampoo gives me a bit of lift, but I have to reapply throughout the day to keep the appearance of clean hair, which just isn't worth it imo... BTW, I am envious of all you girls that can get away with not washing and dry shampoo, seems like I could save so much time if my hair was like that!

Curious if the no 'poo-ers gym or workout daily/regularly?  How do you reduce gym funk from your hair if you don't use 'poo everyday, do you find dry shampoo is enough? I have fine, thin, oily hair too and only occasionally skip a day of 'poo here and there, usually on the weekends.  But I find I have to soap up after a workout, my hair is so thin it sometimes looks like I've taken a shower during my workout or after a run, because I sweat so much my hair is too thin to soak up all the sweat. Lovely, isn't it? I usually wear a hat/headbands at the gym to help keep my hair out of my face and absorb the sweat, but it makes my hair ultra stinky, I feel like I HAVE to shampoo almost daily to get rid of gym funk.  
Erm...I don't actually work out per-se. I mean, in my mind I do. What?

I feel like I've been waiting for my birchbox forever.  Dang Columbus day.  I'm trying to wait to post on the trade thread until it gets here but I'm so anxious!  And my THREE Hedge Funds are staring at me on my vanity every morning just waiting to be turned over into something else lovely and fun.  They'll be able to join my two pop beauty glosses as soon as the other one gets here.

On the hair thing: anyone have any remedies I haven't tried for dandruff?  My hair doesn't get oily anymore (finally. just my bangs, and only because I keep touching them because I'm growing those suckers out.)- it's just really dry, despite my frequent attempts at leave in conditioner, deep conditioning, keratin oil.. etc.. but of course, those things don't go on my scalp, which is where the problem lies.  My dermatologist recommended this shampoo that was $100.00 for an 8 oz bottle (no thank you!  I'm a poor recent graduate- I'm willing to spend some money but surely not that much!)- but I just can't take the plunge.  The first bottle was free, but it's gone now.  And it smelled like I was putting noxious fumes into my hair.. think paint thinner.  My color treated hair is just not going to enjoy that.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Erm...I don't actually work out per-se.

I mean, in my mind I do.

What?

I weight lift- I lift the bottle of wine/beer and pour it into a glass.. I of course repeat this process once or twice a night, and then much more frequently lifting the glass to my lips.  I work out 7 times a week this way!  You should see my guns! 
wink.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by OiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I guess I should have been more clear, because I was not talking about the scientific description of peptides (there isn't one as far as I know). I was talking specifically about the term cosmetic companies put on the bottles.
Definitely feel better now, I hadn't seen the term before even on cosmetic companies, seems only a few use it.  The main reason I was annoyed is because when companies try to talk about the efficacy of their products based on special formulations/ingredients, and use a phrase that is not used in the actual scientific community or use it incorrectly I worry that they don't know what they are talking about, like potentially they are making something up ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  And of course not just BB of DDF but all companies.  Anyway probably too specific of a discussion for this thread, but I do feel reassured now.

I mean, in my mind I do.

What?

Quote: Originally Posted by elizabethrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I weight lift- I lift the bottle of wine/beer and pour it into a glass.. I of course repeat this process once or twice a night, and then much more frequently lifting the glass to my lips.  I work out 7 times a week this way!  You should see my guns! 
wink.gif

AHAHAHAHA!
beer.gif
Love this! I really should work out more, but I can't run to save my life (seriously, trainers laugh at me), I have so many injuries over the years from dance and I have the flexibility to do yoga/pilates but my um...curvaceousness gets in the way. LOL I'm in the process of losing weight, THEN I can start exercising. Everyone I say that too just gives me this look:
blink.gif
So technically I'm exercising....I'm exercising my will to not exercise!
biggrin.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I mean, in my mind I do.

What?

Quote: Originally Posted by elizabethrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

AHAHAHAHA!
beer.gif
Love this! I really should work out more, but I can't run to save my life (seriously, trainers laugh at me), I have so many injuries over the years from dance and I have the flexibility to do yoga/pilates but my um...curvaceousness gets in the way. LOL I'm in the process of losing weight, THEN I can start exercising. Everyone I say that too just gives me this look:
blink.gif
So technically I'm exercising....I'm exercising my will to not exercise!
biggrin.gif

This is SOOOOOOO me.  I have too much in the way to truly exercise.

Latest posts

Back