Memebox: Korean Beauty Box Service

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if this has  been brought up. Have any of the US ladies had to pay import fees when it gets here?
I dont think its a customs problem or issue. I dont even think its a shipping cost issue. Maybe just too many clients and too many complaints about something. Only my first 2 boxes stopped at customs, cause it was something new - box 4, 5 and 6 went through customs with nobproblems at all. I didnt pay anything more for the boxes that stopped at customs, since I know the limit I cant go over - 43 eur. I never complained or sent them an unpleasant mail - I actuallt sent them mails congratulating them. This week I sent them an email asking for a referral link so that I could start getting them pt customers - and they did that. Now, after all that, they are just cutting me out. So no, I will not trash talk them but I am, as I said previously, really really sad.

Quote: Originally Posted by jennwzhu89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Nope- no fees here. Have received 4 boxes thus far with no problems!
Great, thanks for the answer!

They might be experiencing issues with customs/taxes that we aren't really aware of as a consumer.  Marking packages as gifts and lowering the value on them prevents customs charges, but it is technically customs fraud and illegal.  I'd be reluctant to do it if I were sending out a large volume of packages.

(I know I'm a killjoy, but if I were a business, I'd be more worried about covering my own tuchus)

Do you know Strawberrynet? They are worldwide and take back any taxes and costs. And they are on the market from years and they send items as a gifts...So I think it only depends of compmany management.

I don't know how it varies from country to country fees wise, just a suggestion (the EU isn't uniform on this, am I correct?).  Many companies don't have a problem marking things as gifts, sure, but that doesn't mean anyone should be expected to.

I haven't been charged any customs fees or taxes in Ohio, US. I really reel so bad for all the awesome ladies out side of the US who aren't going to be able to get Memebox any more. I feel like we've become a community here on this thread and I'll miss your talk! : ( Nancy

Quote: Originally Posted by Angelika Griner /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I'll do it. I'll write them an email, I have no idea if they are going to answer, but I'll try:)
I'm ticket 2118 if that helps.

i only replied to them today to as they had contacted me as a uk blogger to work with them and they didn't say nothing in he email of changes,so i have asked them to answer my questions. when i originally spoke on signing up they didn't mention they were shipping worldwide but that they may remove that option.

and all beauty box subs go through as gifts as general if you live outside of USA it is standard ,they also didn't lower the price on the label ,so nothing was done illegally by memebox.generally on worldwide shipping most boxes have a separate link to include a slightly higher shipping charge which i suggested to them before as we don't mind paying if we know,

i wonder if they have found out the costs overall of sourcing products was more than expected and that by not offering express shipping anymore levelled that out.i will await my email reply, how do i use my points to buy the make up box please 

This company is so hyperactive with the changes!! I am not comfortable losing my order history at ALL (Screenshot-ing everything now), though it doesn't even compare to worldwide ladies getting shut out completely. You all should screenshot as well - I'm assuming everyone else got the email that they are dumping their website for a new one?

Edited to add email:

Quote:  Dear Memebox Users,

Memebox is getting a makeover! 

To improve your online experience, we are transitioning to a newer, more intuitive website platform on 28th of February. By making this change, we hope to streamline our checkout and delivery process and make shopping with us a more convenient experience overall.

On 28th of February from 0:00 am to 9:00 am, we are transitioning our website to new platform, so you may experience difficulties accessing our website. 

To prepare for the transition, here is some important user information:

- New User Name

The new platform requires you to login with your registered email from your account. Please login with your email address for upcoming website platform. (FYI, email address you are receiving this email with is your registered email.)

- Account Information

It may be necessary to re-enter account information such as shipping and billing address.

Any points you have accumulated will be retained, so you can keep earning and shopping with us!

- Order History

You may no longer be able to view your past orders in your new account, however, we will send you a link to your past order history via email. If you wish to update your shipping information or cancel your order simply email us at [email protected] with your username and the original order number sent to your email address.

- Website Link

Our URL will remain the same, so you’ll still be able to find us at Memebox.com!

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at [email protected]

Cheers,
Memebox Team

Quote: Originally Posted by Patantao /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But this is the first time That I dont like the changes...

Yes, at first it seems like a sign of great responsiveness but now I'm thinking they just may be in over their head.. Leaping before looking and such.

I am very very sad right now. I'm from Australia, not sure how many people get the memebox here, but only recently got my first box. Does it mean any pre-ordered boxes will still comes? Or are we just getting our money back? Honestly, very disappointed in them. I was really supporting them and liked watching them grow with success. Now all of a sudden, it's like they exclude all the other countries in the world. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> In better new, it might mean i can save up money now, isntead of using it all up on memebox.

I understand what you are saying. My husband ships out of the US a lot and the horror stories for customs are crazy. They can hold up packages for weeks. And yes, there can be big problems if there is  dishonesty in the contents  and how it is worded on the slips.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lorna ljblog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm ticket 2118 if that helps.

i only replied to them today to as they had contacted me as a uk blogger to work with them and they didn't say nothing in he email of changes,so i have asked them to answer my questions. when i originally spoke on signing up they didn't mention they were shipping worldwide but that they may remove that option.

and all beauty box subs go through as gifts as general if you live outside of USA it is standard ,they also didn't lower the price on the label ,so nothing was done illegally by memebox.generally on worldwide shipping most boxes have a separate link to include a slightly higher shipping charge which i suggested to them before as we don't mind paying if we know,

i wonder if they have found out the costs overall of sourcing products was more than expected and that by not offering express shipping anymore levelled that out.i will await my email reply, how do i use my points to buy the make up box please 

Actually it is absolutely illegal to list these boxes as gifts. I know this because my fiance is a warehouse manager for a company that forwards mail to Russia. His company was marking everything as gifts to avoid certain charges and within a few months of doing that, they had the FBI come because they do international shipping and were doing a lot of "gift" packages. It started to become more obvious that they were trying to get around costs etc, and they were told to cease and desist pretty dang quickly.

Not to mention according to my fiance, it is a painstakingly annoying process to ship large amounts of items out of the country as "gifts" because there is a lot of paperwork to fill out. If they somehow are caught shipping items internationally as gifts that they've actually received payment for, their entire company is done for.

On a different note:
soap.gif

Yet again, it's really bothersome to me that people are getting mad at memebox for looking out for what is best for their company rather than catering to everyone and their needs. It's absurd. I started this thread, and I'm already getting tired of the complaints here. I've repeated myself dozens of times and told people from the get-go that they were in an experimental phase and that things may change here and there until they figure out what works best for them. They have been very helpful when it came to anyone's issues or complaints. They have given you all more than enough notice to use up your points and be done with it. This is going to absolutely upset people and of course they will lose customers, but I'm sure that this decision was not made lightly They obviously realized it was too much to handle to ship to so many different countries that all have different rules for international packages and it was probably very overwhelming for a new company to deal with.

Give them time to work out their growing pains. They have always made sure our boxes have arrived on time/close to when they say they will. Right now that is all I can ask for. I'm sorry that you can't receive the boxes anymore. But honestly you all sound like jealous girlfriends that won't let a relationship die after someone dumps you, lol. It's not working for memebox, they're breaking up with you, but hope that you can still be friends. Go eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's relax, and maybe look for a new subscription box.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a jerk but seriously, lately this thread has been hijacked by people complaining about every little thing and it's ridiculous. (Excluding those who have genuine concerns/issues, of course.) I don't expect sunshine and rainbows but honestly it reminds me of the Ipsy threads in here. Everyone is complaining about EVERYTHING, and complaining about things that memebox has no control over, or cannot possibly benefit from. If you're upset about them not shipping to your country, e-mail them and let them know you're a fan of the boxes and you'd hope they will start shipping there again in the future. However the way you all complain about the boxes every time one arrives, you'd think you'd be happy that they weren't available to you anymore.

*drops mic

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJexie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually it is absolutely illegal to list these boxes as gifts. I know this because my fiance is a warehouse manager for a company that forwards mail to Russia. His company was marking everything as gifts to avoid certain charges and within a few months of doing that, they had the FBI come because they do international shipping and were doing a lot of "gift" packages. It started to become more obvious that they were trying to get around costs etc, and they were told to cease and desist pretty dang quickly.

Not to mention according to my fiance, it is a painstakingly annoying process to ship large amounts of items out of the country as "gifts" because there is a lot of paperwork to fill out. If they somehow are caught shipping items internationally as gifts that they've actually received payment for, their entire company is done for.

^This

As a business person, I cannot ship out my international orders marked as gift to avoid fees because it is illegal. I've had orders sent to me where the business marked it as gift, but being on the receiving end does not have the consequences as being on the business end. And while it may make customers angry, it is a business's duty to conduct themselves legally. Any import fees and taxes with regard to international purchases fall solely to the responsibility of the purchaser. It is the buyer's duty to know what thresholds their country has and the fees associated with it, or at least know that they are to legally pay that fee/tax when ordering goods overseas.

Some countries are very, very strict on what can and cannot come into their country. I can never sell to anyone who currently lives in Italy because it is illegal to import perfumes and perfumed items into the country.

What about the countries that don't have trouble shipping to? Why have they excluded them too? Hope they can get back becoming global after awhile though, you never know, they change so quick - who knows tomorrow might be all different!

Quote: Originally Posted by stawbewii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What about the countries that don't have trouble shipping to? Why have they excluded them too? Hope they can get back becoming global after awhile though, you never know, they change so quick - who knows tomorrow might be all different!

Again, I think that is something you should ask memebox. I can imagine that it can get expensive doing international shipping if there isn't enough of an interest in a particular country. They probably opened themselves to the global market and realized that most of their business was coming from US, Canada and Japan, and they decided that for now, they would focus on their biggest markets rather than running themselves ragged trying to ship to multiple countries. This is not uncommon for a subscription box, as you probably know very few of them do international shipping due to the cost and to issues that can arise when you're shipping a very high volume of boxes at a time.

I understand the disappointment and I would be feelilng the same way if I were in your shoes, however I think that they're only doing what is best for their company at this time, as for the past few months they have repeatedly mentioned that they are trying out new things to see what works and what doesn't. That obviously included doing worldwide shipping. I think that they've become very popular in a short time and they are trying to keep up with the demand as best as they can, and that probably includes making their shipping department a bit less confusing.

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJexie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On a different note:
soap.gif

Yet again, it's really bothersome to me that people are getting mad at memebox for looking out for what is best for their company rather than catering to everyone and their needs. It's absurd. I started this thread, and I'm already getting tired of the complaints here. I've repeated myself dozens of times and told people from the get-go that they were in an experimental phase and that things may change here and there until they figure out what works best for them. They have been very helpful when it came to anyone's issues or complaints. They have given you all more than enough notice to use up your points and be done with it. This is going to absolutely upset people and of course they will lose customers, but I'm sure that this decision was not made lightly They obviously realized it was too much to handle to ship to so many different countries that all have different rules for international packages and it was probably very overwhelming for a new company to deal with.

Give them time to work out their growing pains. They have always made sure our boxes have arrived on time/close to when they say they will. Right now that is all I can ask for. I'm sorry that you can't receive the boxes anymore. But honestly you all sound like jealous girlfriends that won't let a relationship die after someone dumps you, lol. It's not working for memebox, they're breaking up with you, but hope that you can still be friends. Go eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's relax, and maybe look for a new subscription box.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a jerk but seriously, lately this thread has been hijacked by people complaining about every little thing and it's ridiculous. (Excluding those who have genuine concerns/issues, of course.) I don't expect sunshine and rainbows but honestly it reminds me of the Ipsy threads in here. Everyone is complaining about EVERYTHING, and complaining about things that memebox has no control over, or cannot possibly benefit from. If you're upset about them not shipping to your country, e-mail them and let them know you're a fan of the boxes and you'd hope they will start shipping there again in the future. However the way you all complain about the boxes every time one arrives, you'd think you'd be happy that they weren't available to you anymore.

*drops mic
I'm going to just start by saying I am a US customer and I look forward to buying more of these boxes. 

But, I think you are being unfair to the people who have something to say. I'm sorry it's not all positive, but nothing ever is. People have the right to their own opinion and you have the right to decide whether or not you want to read what they have said. I don't think that there are just complaints on this thread. It is people providing their own valid opinions and feelings regarding memebox (which is what I thought this thread is about). We are all fans of memebox if we weren't we wouldn't be here. But, nothing is perfect not even memebox (although it's a lot better than other boxes I've been subscribed to). I think that everyone has to right to feel how they want to feel and if people are not so happy about memebox and have something to say about it then I would like to hear it (the good and the bad). 

Quote: Originally Posted by SubJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm going to just start by saying I am a US customer and I look forward to buying more of these boxes. 

But, I think you are being unfair to the people who have something to say. I'm sorry it's not all positive, but nothing ever is. People have the right to their own opinion and you have the right to decide whether or not you want to read what they have said. I don't think that there are just complaints on this thread. It is people providing their own valid opinions and feelings regarding memebox (which is what I thought this thread is about). We are all fans of memebox if we weren't we wouldn't be here. But, nothing is perfect not even memebox (although it's a lot better than other boxes I've been subscribed to). I think that everyone has to right to feel how they want to feel and if people are not so happy about memebox and have something to say about it then I would like to hear it (the good and the bad). 
I made myself very clear in saying that there is a difference between having a legitimate complaint, or even feeling disappointed about something, and complaining about every single thing that is out of a companies control, complaining about things that have been stated repeatedly (IE: they are in a testing phase in their company and to expect some changes now and then) and so on. I have also repeatedly said people have the right to feel any way they want, especially bummed out when it comes to no longer being able to get boxes. But I read up there that memebox "tempted" them into buying boxes only to "take them away." And the arguments at this point are becoming absurd.

Just as they have a right to complain about whatever the want, I have every right to say how exhausting it is to read endless negativity about a company that has obviously made a few mistakes, but has bent over backwards to fix them, and it's still not good enough for people. I think that people tend to get vindictive and start placing blame when there doesn't need to be blame placed in most situations. Are you bummed out about not getting memebox anymore? Sure, let's hear about it. But it really grinds my gears to constantly read things that I have repeatedly answered time and time again, or how people are making irrational demands of a company that is clearly just trying to find their footing, and at the same time make sure everyone is happy, which is just not possible.

I tend to ramble so here's the shortened version: People can complain all the want. But I believe I also can tell them I'm tired of hearing them complain. If this is how this thread is going to be until this all blows over, then I will kindly show myself out and wait for it to die down before I continue commenting. I have never had a problem with people's negative opinions or concerns with any other box in any other thread because as you said, people are entitled to say what they want. But I become offended when people start ripping apart a company that I know means well and I know is being transparent and doing whatever they can to not only be successful, but also to make their customers happy. If it is negatively affecting the company to ship worldwide, then I think they did the right thing in giving everyone a month's notice to say that they are no longer shipping worldwide. I don't feel that a company should start getting compared to other failed or dishonest companies just for doing something that not everyone is happy with.

I do not  have issues with people voicing their concerns or disappointments.  I have a huge issue with people jumping the gun, drawing conclusions, or bad-mouthing for no reason. Maybe I came off a bit unfair or a bit callous, but I speak my mind and that's what I was thinking at the time. Just as they're allowed to complain endlessly, I'm allowed to say how I feel about it.

Latest posts

Back