May 2012 No-Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I'm doing pretty good. I'm happy that I have some dents in my makeup. I still haven't hit pan on anything. I think that's going to take a while. I feel like if I buy something else beauty related I'd feel really guilty about it and not end up using it. It is fun to try and use what I have. Once I start hitting pan on stuff I don't think I would feel so bad making another purchase. I might have to extend the no-buy to next month. But lets just see how this month goes.

Excellent! 8 bucks on a lip and cheek stain isn't too bad. I'd say that considering where a lot of us were just about a month ago, just one tiny buy is a sign of really, really good progress. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Welp, I broke. 2 weeks in. I spent 8.48 on a cheek and lip stain at ulta. I went to my mail box and had a $50 rebate waiting for me and I got all fired up and headed to Ulta. I wanted to spend $30 on a tarte lip/cheek stain, but opted for a much cheaper brand on the cheap side of Ulta, so I feel ok about it. I left with only one item under $10. Not horrible, but still not a no buy.
Hitting pan is damn near impossible. I hit pan last month on a couple of items, but they were things that I was using everyday. My goal is now to just hit pan on at least one blush and one eyeshadow by the end of August. It's definitely caused me to rethink a lot of purchases. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenapril /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So far I'm doing pretty good. I'm happy that I have some dents in my makeup. I still haven't hit pan on anything. I think that's going to take a while. I feel like if I buy something else beauty related I'd feel really guilty about it and not end up using it. It is fun to try and use what I have. Once I start hitting pan on stuff I don't think I would feel so bad making another purchase. I might have to extend the no-buy to next month. But lets just see how this month goes.

Just joined the forums and I'm glad to see I'm not alone on this no-buy train. Except my problem seems to be nail polish. I've hit 200 polishes in just over a year of starting my collection, LOL. It's a bit of a problem. But how can I say no when I'm getting Essie/O.P.I/Color Club/China Glaze polishes for just $2 a piece!? ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by erikalisa55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just joined the forums and I'm glad to see I'm not alone on this no-buy train. Except my problem seems to be nail polish. I've hit 200 polishes in just over a year of starting my collection, LOL. It's a bit of a problem. But how can I say no when I'm getting Essie/O.P.I/Color Club/China Glaze polishes for just $2 a piece!? ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I'm at almost the 200 mark in about 4 months time. Part of what made me go, 'uh, waaaaait...."

44 days.
reddance.gif

I did buy a new shirt and sunglasses the other day.. but that was with birthday money and there's no such thing as too many pairs of sunglasses. Plus, my old black pair broke due to me being lazy and leaving them on the floor.

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

44 days.
reddance.gif

I did buy a new shirt and sunglasses the other day.. but that was with birthday money and there's no such thing as too many pairs of sunglasses. Plus, my old black pair broke due to me being lazy and leaving them on the floor.
Yep, you kinda rule! And that's why I didn't PM you with the stuff that I saw over at Last Call a couple weeks ago :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

huh? $2, how?

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikalisa55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Separate post because it's my turn "at the confessional", even though (as stated), I'm technically not on a "no buy". I was, however, proud of the streak I had of 11 days, which ended tonight. It's not huge purchases, but I want accountability here, because I'm trying to stay off the slippery slope. Surprisingly, it wasn't my "freebie run" (which I've still not done) that did me in (Hell, I even missed out on the Nordstrom Philosophy samples because I haven't done it yet). What happened was this: My mom said she's never seen a matte nail polish in her life and was curious about how they'd look. Because most of the mattes I have are kind of...unusual....colors and I was out of matte topcoat, I picked that up. Then I saw a bottle of her favorite polish brand (Sally Hansen) in a color I know she'll love (and she has asked me to make her a goodie box--this, being a gift, doesn't count, but.....it led to the next items). While I was glancing over the clearance rack, I saw the denim Nail Effects strips. Now, I already have the acidwashed ones, but these were the regular denim. I have an event coming up where I want to do a denim manicure, but since these were on clearance, I wasn't going to pass up the bargain price (and they may not be in production anymore!) Finally, I saw that the chubby eye crayons from Wet n Wild (which are wonderful to keep in my desk at work, but which I keep losing--thus why the only makeup I leave in my desk is the cheap stuff) were only .99, so I got the three most important shades--purple, green, and black.  All told, I spent a total of $11 if you count tax. 

I'm not beating myself up over it. Some folks would be impressed that I got some good bargains, but bargains are what I DO, so that's not a good way to make myself feel better. However, the fact is that NONE of the items were impulses, all of them were purchases that would have had to be made eventually, and if I amortize it over the length of the streak, it's $1/day. I should probably make a point of getting up early enough tomorrow/today so that I have time before work for the Sephora/Ulta run so that I can sort of "get it over with", since I know it's very likely I'll buy more than my free stuff and the one planned purchase (to obtain free stuff). That way, it won't be "here was a long streak, and now, here I am falling off the wagon a few days later". Basically, get what's got to be gotten, try not to do much extra damage, and then start a new streak. *sigh*

The whole thing for me, with the no-buy/reduced buy is that it's really making me much more AWARE of how much I had been spending and of how much surplus I had. If me posting this triggers anyone, I'm sorry, but I genuinely believe that for those of us who ARE compulsive shoppers (not all of us in this thread are, but I know I"m not the only one), sometimes the process of working it through with accountability makes the lessons learned stick longer. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Separate post because it's my turn "at the confessional", even though (as stated), I'm technically not on a "no buy". I was, however, proud of the streak I had of 11 days, which ended tonight. It's not huge purchases, but I want accountability here, because I'm trying to stay off the slippery slope. Surprisingly, it wasn't my "freebie run" (which I've still not done) that did me in (Hell, I even missed out on the Nordstrom Philosophy samples because I haven't done it yet). What happened was this: My mom said she's never seen a matte nail polish in her life and was curious about how they'd look. Because most of the mattes I have are kind of...unusual....colors and I was out of matte topcoat, I picked that up. Then I saw a bottle of her favorite polish brand (Sally Hansen) in a color I know she'll love (and she has asked me to make her a goodie box--this, being a gift, doesn't count, but.....it led to the next items). While I was glancing over the clearance rack, I saw the denim Nail Effects strips. Now, I already have the acidwashed ones, but these were the regular denim. I have an event coming up where I want to do a denim manicure, but since these were on clearance, I wasn't going to pass up the bargain price (and they may not be in production anymore!) Finally, I saw that the chubby eye crayons from Wet n Wild (which are wonderful to keep in my desk at work, but which I keep losing--thus why the only makeup I leave in my desk is the cheap stuff) were only .99, so I got the three most important shades--purple, green, and black.  All told, I spent a total of $11 if you count tax. 

I'm not beating myself up over it. Some folks would be impressed that I got some good bargains, but bargains are what I DO, so that's not a good way to make myself feel better. However, the fact is that NONE of the items were impulses, all of them were purchases that would have had to be made eventually, and if I amortize it over the length of the streak, it's $1/day. I should probably make a point of getting up early enough tomorrow/today so that I have time before work for the Sephora/Ulta run so that I can sort of "get it over with", since I know it's very likely I'll buy more than my free stuff and the one planned purchase (to obtain free stuff). That way, it won't be "here was a long streak, and now, here I am falling off the wagon a few days later". Basically, get what's got to be gotten, try not to do much extra damage, and then start a new streak. *sigh*

The whole thing for me, with the no-buy/reduced buy is that it's really making me much more AWARE of how much I had been spending and of how much surplus I had. If me posting this triggers anyone, I'm sorry, but I genuinely believe that for those of us who ARE compulsive shoppers (not all of us in this thread are, but I know I"m not the only one), sometimes the process of working it through with accountability makes the lessons learned stick longer. 
Ohhhh Where were the wet n' wilds 99 cents? i have a coupon for a dollar of ANY wet n wild product! 

And I will donate it, rather than using it. I PROMISE.

I think accountability is key in making these sorts of challenges successful. I think a HUGE reason why I failed so badly in the past has to do with this. Plus, I'm a lot more transparent about purchases or any packages that arrive (not that I've purchased any lately, but you know) since my husband and I hooked up all of our bank accounts to mint.com. Now he knows exactly what I'm buying and how much I spent on it. Not gonna lie...I used to hide packages and throw away any wrappings before he could see them. Not healthy behavior. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ohhhh Where were the wet n' wilds 99 cents? i have a coupon for a dollar of ANY wet n wild product! 

And I will donate it, rather than using it. I PROMISE.
Walgreens, not sure if the sale ended yesterday or not. It was "all 1.99 WnW for .99"

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think accountability is key in making these sorts of challenges successful. I think a HUGE reason why I failed so badly in the past has to do with this. Plus, I'm a lot more transparent about purchases or any packages that arrive (not that I've purchased any lately, but you know) since my husband and I hooked up all of our bank accounts to mint.com. Now he knows exactly what I'm buying and how much I spent on it. Not gonna lie...I used to hide packages and throw away any wrappings before he could see them. Not healthy behavior. 
I use mint.com too and that makes my spending very transparent :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I was like that too, throwing the boxes before hubby arrives home from work. I even asked him to give the mailbox key to me so I could just get my mails and packages from the mailboxes. Im embarrassed of myself, even though hubby doesnt complain about my spending - he would tell me, he spent over our budget for the month because he is restoring a car for his hobby, just to make me feel better.

I downloaded this app on my iPhone named Slice. It tracks all the purchases you make and gives you a summary of whatever you have spent within the month, last month or within the year. I am soooooooo baaaaad! I just checked that I spent $4k on shopping since January 2012. I could have just bought myself a car!
sadno.gif

My husband doesn't complain either! He's so good about it. He doesn't really check the mail, so it's pretty much up to me. I'm also a student, so I'm home most of the time that I'm not in class, which is why it was so easy for me to get packages and hide them before he got home. I don't do that any more, though. 

Oh gosh, I don't even want to go back into my email and bank accounts to see how much I've spent over the past year or so. I can only imagine how bad it was. I just keep telling myself that yes, I was really wasteful and was overshopping all the time, but that's in the past. It's a lesson I've learned from, and I don't intend to let it happen again!

Originally Posted by iPretty949 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use mint.com too and that makes my spending very transparent :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I was like that too, throwing the boxes before hubby arrives home from work. I even asked him to give the mailbox key to me so I could just get my mails and packages from the mailboxes. Im embarrassed of myself, even though hubby doesnt complain about my spending - he would tell me, he spent over our budget for the month because he is restoring a car for his hobby, just to make me feel better.

I downloaded this app on my iPhone named Slice. It tracks all the purchases you make and gives you a summary of whatever you have spent within the month, last month or within the year. I am soooooooo baaaaad! I just checked that I spent $4k on shopping since January 2012. I could have just bought myself a car!
sadno.gif

Originally Posted by juicyFruit85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't want to do a no buy per se...I set aside $50 for my beauty needs per paycheck (every 2 weeks). I need to stay off of youtube! sometimes I'm feeling content with what I buy then one of the gurus i' m subscribed to gives me ideas for one thing or the other and I go over my limit. What I started doing was just exchanging products. So, I'm not supposed to buy anything until next week but I have some products I bought last week that I didnt like.
I feel you! I stopped watching Youtube and it helped me lessen my cravings for make-up shopping. I havent bought any make-up stuff for April :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I also keep on opening my drawers to remind me of the stuff that I already have, so as not to buy similar make up stuff
smile.gif

So "Day One" went well, although I still have to collect my free B&BW mist, my free CVS body wash, my Sephora voucher perfume, my free Ulta reward. I actually was in Ulta today....and nothing was striking my fancy. That's a good thing.

And as far as accountability goes, I did TRY to place an Ulta order from work today, and lo and behold couldn't log in. This is a SIGN, I tell ya.

My challenge for myself this week (and anyone else who wants to do it with me) is to go through all the beauty products (skin/hair/body/makeup/nails) and pull out everything that I'll NEVER use. Now, yes, there will be samples I'll keep (that's for a future challenge) that I may or may not use, but my goal this week is to pare down my full-size products to only those things that I legitimately think I WILL use within the next couple of months. Anyone else in?

(And, yep, I've got further challenges coming up. They should all be fun, but I dunno if I should do them as a new thread?)

So "Day One" went well, although I still have to collect my free B&BW mist, my free CVS body wash, my Sephora voucher perfume, my free Ulta reward. I actually was in Ulta today....and nothing was striking my fancy. That's a good thing.

And as far as accountability goes, I did TRY to place an Ulta order from work today, and lo and behold couldn't log in. This is a SIGN, I tell ya.

My challenge for myself this week (and anyone else who wants to do it with me) is to go through all the beauty products (skin/hair/body/makeup/nails) and pull out everything that I'll NEVER use. Now, yes, there will be samples I'll keep (that's for a future challenge) that I may or may not use, but my goal this week is to pare down my full-size products to only those things that I legitimately think I WILL use within the next couple of months. Anyone else in?

(And, yep, I've got further challenges coming up. They should all be fun, but I dunno if I should do them as a new thread?)
Every time I try to do this I talk myself into not getting rid of anything because "what if!!!". I also know I would end up buying a replacement eventually. Ughhhh me. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I totally would, but I actually did clean out my products about 6 months ago, and I've already accumulated the repurchases. So, since I don't want to let those go to waste, they're going to stay. Bleeeegh. Good luck, though! If you decide to do it, that is. It's hard to be honest about products sometimes. It's really easy to say "what if" and hold onto them. 

Day 21 for me. This is actually going by really, really quickly, it seems. I miiiight be able to do this after all. 

I'm now entering No Buy mode. I've decided that instead of buying all this makeup and clothing, I'd rather spend money on a personal trainer. So, something has to go out of my budget and unnecessary purchases online will have to be it.

Part of my no buy includes:

- No more purchases online

- No more makeup purchases period

- No more subscriptions (I currently have Birchbox (annual), MyGlam and Sample Society... unless I drop one I'm sticking with that)

17 days until June 1... wish me luck!

I decided to be good and do trades instead of buying stuff, so that way, I'd only be spending a little bit of money on postage.

I traded for some MAC stuff and ALL of it is fake. Pretty upset. I was so excited about this, too. I'm quite sad now, and I would very much like to cry. I'm not going to use it, because I've heard how unsafe counterfeit cosmetics can be. 

Ugh. I guess I should just save my money and buy legit stuff. Last time I ever trade. 

Latest posts

Back