May 2012 No-Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been shifting out blush, eyeshadow, and lippies on a weekly basis. I'm not going to be hitting pan on items any time soon, but it keeps me from getting bored and I'm getting use out of all of my products. Combine that with not buying anything, and slowly but surely, I'm starting to feel a little less bad about the amount of stuff that I've got. 

Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

True!
One lady organized her stash by categories, and went "shopping" by selecting a different one from each category every day. That way she felt she was enjoying her cosmetics and creating different looks. I have been doing that with my skincare, except weekly instead of daily.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been shifting out blush, eyeshadow, and lippies on a weekly basis. I'm not going to be hitting pan on items any time soon, but it keeps me from getting bored and I'm getting use out of all of my products. Combine that with not buying anything, and slowly but surely, I'm starting to feel a little less bad about the amount of stuff that I've got. 
What is your favorite blush?

Oh my gosh, I don't know if I could decide! It's bad, I have umm...about 30 blushes. Pretty crazy. Right now, my current favorites are MAC Modern Mandarin and Revolution Organics Freedom Glow in Blushed. They're so gorgeous!

But if I had to choose...probably either MAC Cubic or NARS Orgasm. These were blushes that I thought were super boring, but I've found myself reaching for them a lot, and I'm actually almost through with Orgasm. I'm probably going to hit pan on Cubic soon. They look effortless and natural, and really do work with any kind of look!

Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is your favorite blush?

Day 6 down, with no ill effects or MAD cravings LOL

If I have time this week, I do want to try to sort out my stuff and really narrow down the collection. FAR too many things that are similar to others or that are unopened, etc.

Alright ladies, I'm definitely gonna have to hang out in this forum more, because my friends are ALL enablers. 
icon_lol.gif
  I announced my no-buy in my gchat status, figuring that if I declared my intentions to the world, I'd do a better job of staying on track... Instead, the universal reaction was shock, horror, dismay, and "Noooooo! You're going to miss out on the amazing sale at [insert every makeup store in the world]! *sends me link to sale page*"  I adore them, but they're certainly not helping my resolve to stick to my no-buy (and it's only been four days!!!). 
icon_lol.gif

So personally, I'm doing really well. This not restricting myself thing is actually helping a LOT. I did just spend $39 on beauty bar, but that was my mom's mother's day gift. Stila bb cream and a philosophy body wash, and I don't have to do anything to get any of it to my mom lol. SO easy, and with the sample society coupon, the body wash was pretty much free. Obviously I don't have to justify it because its not going to be taking up space in my bathroom, but I feel weirdly bad about spending money on beauty products. 

Day 14 today. This is around the time when I broke last time, so hopefully if I can put through to the end of the week, I''ll be able to keep going strong. I turn in my last project of the semester tonight, so sometime this week I'll sit down and sort through all of my beauty products. Hopefully I can get rid of some things that are old and will remain unused, and sort through the rest and get it organized so I can easily access everything.

Would it be considered breaking the no-buy if I bought a train case? I saw some last time I was at Sephora, and they're good size and good quality. I'm hoping to pare down my collection enough to fit in one. 

Day 14 today. This is around the time when I broke last time, so hopefully if I can put through to the end of the week, I''ll be able to keep going strong. I turn in my last project of the semester tonight, so sometime this week I'll sit down and sort through all of my beauty products. Hopefully I can get rid of some things that are old and will remain unused, and sort through the rest and get it organized so I can easily access everything.

Would it be considered breaking the no-buy if I bought a train case? I saw some last time I was at Sephora, and they're good size and good quality. I'm hoping to pare down my collection enough to fit in one. 
I think if it would help you organize and downsize, its an investment...and not breaking a no buy, but to each her own. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I just realized I've been doing really well with not going out to eat anymore, too. I haven't bought lunch in 2 weeks! 

Yay! Because all my makeup is in a giant Sterlite thing, just chillin' on my bathroom counter. It doesn't fit under the sink so that's where it sits. It's hideous, I hate it, and I'm sure my husband hates it too (he just won't say). 

Hey...your post made me realize I've been doing well, too! I used to grab fast food and go to a local cupcake shop at least once a week. I haven't done that in a really, really long time. Maybe a month or so. I was wondering why my pants felt a little bit loose...

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think if it would help you organize and downsize, its an investment...and not breaking a no buy, but to each her own. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I just realized I've been doing really well with not going out to eat anymore, too. I haven't bought lunch in 2 weeks! 

39 days.
icon_lol.gif

I'm going to be super broke this summer. I'm going to destash for my SIL's birthday since I likely won't be able to buy anything new (I'm paying off my credit cards and not using them until I have a steady income again in the fall).. I've got tons of samples and full sized items that I haven't used/probably won't use. Hopefully she doesn't think that's a lame gift.

So not a lame gift! She will love it. 39 days is awesome!

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

39 days.
icon_lol.gif

I'm going to be super broke this summer. I'm going to destash for my SIL's birthday since I likely won't be able to buy anything new (I'm paying off my credit cards and not using them until I have a steady income again in the fall).. I've got tons of samples and full sized items that I haven't used/probably won't use. Hopefully she doesn't think that's a lame gift

Get one! I would hate that.

It's actually getting easier (This was Day Six). I went to the mall today, because I wanted to see if Lush had the Party On Temple Balm (really good for migraines). Not only did they not carry ANY Temple Balms, they didn't even carry the shower jellies, so I couldn't get the Party On in THAT. Since I'd made a special trip, that annoyed me enough to not even play with the sample pots!  Then it was the Body Shop, where a few things that were appealing, I kept thinking, "eh, maybe another time, not right now." Same at Sephora and at B&BW. Actually, NOTHING at B&BW was even appealing (which is HIGHLY unusual for me). Feelin' pretty dang good right now......

Day Seven is over and done. It's funny how by NOT prohibiting myself, I'm finding less that I want (although I have found a few things now that are pulling at my pursestrings)

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Day Seven is over and done. It's funny how by NOT prohibiting myself, I'm finding less that I want (although I have found a few things now that are pulling at my pursestrings)
I'm the same, I flipped through an ulta catalog and nothing tempted me, had an order in my cart on beauty bar and then asked myself what I needed another foundation and pink lipstick for...etc. I'm not sure if I've realized I don't need it, hit a saturation point, or if taking away the restriction is helping. Probably all of the above.

Good job ladies! It seems like we're all doing much better this time around. I think the fact that we're not acting as enablers really helps, too. 

Day 16 for me. I think last time when I failed, it was around day 14 or 15, so I'm right around that same point. I've been keeping track of the days on that chains.cc site, and I like it. Kinda encouraging to see the long chain of successful days. 

Hopefully I was helpful in talking "someone" here out of ordering that big ole Sephora order! *g*

And that was Day 8 for me, btw. OVER A WEEK. I know that sounds silly, since "normal" folks probably go long periods of time without buying beauty stuff, but STILL. I'm proud of myself right now, because I HAVE learned that this is what I do to relieve boredom, cheer myself up, etc. I realized, though, that my Ulta Rewards Certificate expires June 2, so I may wind up breaking before then, but right now, I'm feeling pretty darn good AND resisting (so far) my INSANE craving for this one body butter that I smelled the other night. I know I shouldn't get it, because it smells SO good that I'd never wear any perfume, and I am TRYING to get more into perfume. So, perhaps that will be what dissuades me for now.

Plus, I looked in my bathroom and realized that even without touching ANY of my samples, I could EASILY go six months without buying shampoo/conditioner. So I'm trying to use all that stuff up before I buy more.

Yes you were successful! I haven't been keeping track of days but I THINK April 29th was the last time I purchased a beauty product.

So I think I'm going to try this no-buy thing again. I think I did good last month I just needed to stick with it. I have made some dents on my eye shadows and I actually used up some of my perfumes. This month I've done alright so far. But I didn't know I was going to try this no buy until today. So far this month the beauty items I've bought were a wet n wild eye shadow and polish both on sale and a nyc lip stain. Not bad considering I'm happy with the items. I think this month I can stick with it. I can't say I'm going to use anything up but I'm going to try. I was really tempted to get the Dark Shadows palette but so far I've resisted.

Back