Glossybox February 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by goldenmeans /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's no British English I've ever read. It reads like something from one of my Taiwanese contacts- the ones who put things through Google Translate. lol
I lived in London and worked in the City for ages. Trust me, there is no difference in syntax, just some vernacular and spelling

Originally Posted by goldenmeans /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's no British English I've ever read. It reads like something from one of my Taiwanese contacts- the ones who put things through Google Translate. lol
Lol when I first read it, I immediately thought it sounded like something my Asian mother (she's not an English native speaker) would say. However, even her written grammar is better than the stuff written on GB!

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Missha is a Korean brand and those cosmetic companies are notorious for animal testing. I researched online and found that snail "slime" is obtained by "mechanically stressing" the animals to increase production of their mucus. That does not sound humane or natural at all. I would never use a product that is produced by such blatant animal torture and I encourage everyone to seek alternatives because there are many other anti-aging products that are cruelty-free. Besides, rubbing snail snot all over one's face to fight aging sounds a little desperate to me.
*sigh* About 5 years ago, I'd be right there, with you, saying that. But after I quit smoking (having smoked for over 25 years ~ ugh), I took stock of what smoking and plain ol' aging (I'm 43) had done to my skin and I did NOT like it. So, at this point, I'm prolly the snail-snot-slathering kinda gal I never thought I'd be.

Hell, I remember hearing about placenta-based anti-aging products and gagging, declaring that I'd never get THAT desperate. Today? I'd prolly ask "How much do I need and how do I use it?!" o_O

As for cruelty free products, before my hubby started working for the US Navy, I was a card-carrying member of PETA (can't do that anymore since the US gubmint has them listed as a "terrorist organization" and it'd destroy my hubby's security clearance), so I agree whole-heartedly on boycotting products that torture animals in their testing/development.

I get the concept of keeping people safe, I really do. What I don't get is that with all of our knowledge in the area of chemistry, we can't figure out if that new perfume is dangerous or poisonous without squirting it in a monkey's eyes. o_O

Originally Posted by BeachBoheme /img/forum/go_quote.gif

*sigh* About 5 years ago, I'd be right there, with you, saying that. But after I quit smoking (having smoked for over 25 years ~ ugh), I took stock of what smoking and plain ol' aging (I'm 43) had done to my skin and I did NOT like it. So, at this point, I'm prolly the snail-snot-slathering kinda gal I never thought I'd be.

Hell, I remember hearing about placenta-based anti-aging products and gagging, declaring that I'd never get THAT desperate. Today? I'd prolly ask "How much do I need and how do I use it?!" o_O

As for cruelty free products, before my hubby started working for the US Navy, I was a card-carrying member of PETA (can't do that anymore since the US gubmint has them listed as a "terrorist organization" and it'd destroy my hubby's security clearance), so I agree whole-heartedly on boycotting products that torture animals in their testing/development.

I get the concept of keeping people safe, I really do. What I don't get is that with all of our knowledge in the area of chemistry, we can't figure out if that new perfume is dangerous or poisonous without squirting it in a monkey's eyes. o_O
Choked on my dinner laughing as I read "So, at this point, I'm prolly the snail-snot-slathering kinda gal I never thought I'd be." Completely lost it at "How much do I need and how do I use it?!"

Thank you for helping me spray dinner all over my keyboard.
laughing.gif

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Choked on my dinner laughing as I read "So, at this point, I'm prolly the snail-snot-slathering kinda gal I never thought I'd be." Completely lost it at "How much do I need and how do I use it?!"

Thank you for helping me spray dinner all over my keyboard.
laughing.gif
Hey ... any time I can help a lovely lady redecorate her keyboard, I'm happy to. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you REALLY want to laugh, I'll take a picture of me *wearing* the snail snot on my face and post it here. Then, you can redecorate your whole computer area. ,')

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lmao at least it wasnt soda and didnt come out of your nosr btdt and it hurts
Once, I laughed so hard, I had *soda almost come out of my nose, then stop and go down my throat. Now THAT was nasty. But it was a good joke and I've quoted it many times over the years, so all in all, still a win-win.

*Soda's the only thing I drink ~ aside from the occasional glass of milk ~ so it's a constant hazard. ,')

Hey ... any time I can help a lovely lady redecorate her keyboard, I'm happy to. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If you REALLY want to laugh, I'll take a picture of me *wearing* the snail snot on my face and post it here. Then, you can redecorate your whole computer area. ,')
Personally, I'm picturing you with dozens of those tiny snails the size of a pencil eraser all over your face. I think my grandmother had a statue like that because it's bizarrely easy for me to envision.

Hey ... any time I can help a lovely lady redecorate her keyboard, I'm happy to. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you REALLY want to laugh, I'll take a picture of me *wearing* the snail snot on my face and post it here. Then, you can redecorate your whole computer area. ,')
lmao you are really funny! You know, one of the reasons I quit smoking cigarettes was cuz I was afraid of the damage it could cause to my skin D: You go girl and keep it up :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My dad has done it like 20+ times in his life and he always goes back to it lol. Stay strong :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> you can do it! ^^

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you guys read their Glossymag or whatever they call it? Chock full of grammar errors - unreadable.
I tend to obsess over spelling/grammatical errors ~ I'm REALLY anal-retentive and OCD. It's one thing for someone to *post* errors like that ~ it's understandable since we're kinda grooving as we post and the whole thing is organic. But to *publish* ~ even an eZine ~ with a buttload of errors? Yikes. That makes me think twice about their professionalism.

But I've noticed that with a few other subs I've got. Maybe it's because since the whole thing is a highly visual thing (beauty), the focus is on the *looks* rather than the content? Still ... :|

I tend to obsess over spelling/grammatical errors ~ I'm REALLY anal-retentive and OCD. It's one thing for someone to *post* errors like that ~ it's understandable since we're kinda grooving as we post and the whole thing is organic. But to *publish* ~ even an eZine ~ with a buttload of errors? Yikes. That makes me think twice about their professionalism.

But I've noticed that with a few other subs I've got. Maybe it's because since the whole thing is a highly visual thing (beauty), the focus is on the *looks* rather than the content? Still ... :|
Oh, I definitely agree with you that it's unprofessional of them to post a mini beauty magazine without double checking for grammar mistakes. It makes me question if they are rushing around trying to throw a bunch of articles together or if they hired writers whose first language isn't English. 

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

lmao you are really funny! You know, one of the reasons I quit smoking cigarettes was cuz I was afraid of the damage it could cause to my skin D: You go girl and keep it up :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My dad has done it like 20+ times in his life and he always goes back to it lol. Stay strong :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> you can do it! ^^
Thank you! <3<3<3

I've only been able to quit (2 years, now) because I switched to e-cigs (I hope that still counts as "quitting").

I've gotten to the point where I'm down to a mixture between 0mg and 6mg, so I do feel pretty good about it. Of course, when my MIL from Hell visits (she lives less than two miles away), I break out the 12mg and suck on that thing like it's gonna save a life (hers).

The nice thing about it, is that I don't think I could actually go back to "real" smoking. I gag now when I smell cigarette smoke. Literally.

I know this will sound stupid, but I NEVER thought of it damaging my skin. Never. I just worried about cancer and figured that I'd risked it for 25 years, and I was pushing my luck. If I'd have known it was damaging my skin so badly, I'd have quit a LONG time ago (sounds shallow, I know).

The nice thing is that now, my teeth are actually white (thanks to a buttload of whitening strips and toothpaste). I can't tell you how much I LOVE that! <3

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally, I'm picturing you with dozens of those tiny snails the size of a pencil eraser all over your face. I think my grandmother had a statue like that because it's bizarrely easy for me to envision.
Hey. That's cool. Where I live, we have those damned palmetto bugs big enough to drag off an Irish Wolfhound. Now, THOSE I couldn't stand on my face. Anything else is gravy. ,')

Now, I'm fighting the temptation to find a random picture of a woman on the 'Net and Photoshop snails all over it. o_O

Originally Posted by lechatonrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No need =D

Haha.. she looks quite relaxed despite having dozens of snails all over her face. I can't say I'd be as calm! 
eek.gif

Originally Posted by lechatonrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No need =D

Ewww, ewww, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. This actually made me shiver. That is a whole lot of nope nope nope on one person's face.
scared2.gif

try to view it as tiny kittens with shells prancing on your face? Lol, or maybe i'm the only one whose inner 5 year old would LOVE that? The kittens, not snails. 

Oh my goodness gracious. Don't think I could do that.. I like snails and all but not that much lol.

Thank you! <3<3<3 I've only been able to quit (2 years, now) because I switched to e-cigs (I hope that still counts as "quitting"). I've gotten to the point where I'm down to a mixture between 0mg and 6mg, so I do feel pretty good about it. Of course, when my MIL from Hell visits (she lives less than two miles away), I break out the 12mg and suck on that thing like it's gonna save a life (hers). The nice thing about it, is that I don't think I could actually go back to "real" smoking. I gag now when I smell cigarette smoke. Literally. I know this will sound stupid, but I NEVER thought of it damaging my skin. Never. I just worried about cancer and figured that I'd risked it for 25 years, and I was pushing my luck. If I'd have known it was damaging my skin so badly, I'd have quit a LONG time ago (sounds shallow, I know). The nice thing is that now, my teeth are actually white (thanks to a buttload of whitening strips and toothpaste). I can't tell you how much I LOVE that! <3
I do think it counts and the skin thing doesn't sound shallow to me.I just told the bf that skin dmg was the main reason I quit ^^

try to view it as tiny kittens with shells prancing on your face? Lol, or maybe i'm the only one whose inner 5 year old would LOVE that? The kittens, not snails. 
I'd love that with puppies and that's my 21 year old self XD

Latest posts

Back