Boxy Charm [Spoilers]

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did they seriously throw some temporary tattoos in there as the 5th item? 

Sorry a bronzer (no matter what the brand) in January, 2 products from the same brand, a meh primer I already got in an ipsy bag a long time ago, and some tattoos? Sigh.

This is a great subscription for some people but I'm realizing it's just not for me. The only month I liked was the first box I got- the one with the Harvey Prince perfume and Tarte lip gloss. Last month was OK too, but overall it's been kind of mediocre for me. This might have to be my last month :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm feeling a little ambivalent about this month's box.

Not really excited about any of the products but am mildly interested in the Tarte serum though. I already use the Tarte maracuja oil so I am curious how this bronzing serum compares to the oil. If it applies smoothly, absorbs nicely, and hydrates while adding a dash of color to my ghastly winter paleness then the meh box rating goes up to a hmm rating for me.

But hey, at least no BaB in sight!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm feeling a little ambivalent about this month's box.

Not really excited about any of the products but am mildly interested in the Tarte serum though. I already use the Tarte macacuja oil so I am curious how this bronzing serum compares to the oil. If it applies smoothly, absorbs nicely, and hydrates while adding a dash of color to my ghastly winter paleness then the meh box rating goes up to a hmm rating for me.

But hey, at least no BaB in sight!
I know! I am kinda interested in the Tarte serum too, but I'm on the fence. I looked at reviews on the Sephora website and a lot of people said they only use it at night because it has a bit of a sticky feel. Also, most people said it has that "self tanner" smell. So, based on that I don't think I would like it. I'm interested to find out what everyone thinks after they get the chance to try it.

Did they seriously throw some temporary tattoos in there as the 5th item? 

Sorry a bronzer (no matter what the brand) in January, 2 products from the same brand, a meh primer I already got in an ipsy bag a long time ago, and some tattoos? Sigh.

This is a great subscription for some people but I'm realizing it's just not for me. The only month I liked was the first box I got- the one with the Harvey Prince perfume and Tarte lip gloss. Last month was OK too, but overall it's been kind of mediocre for me. This might have to be my last month :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Couldn't agree more! I just got temp. tattoos in my Popsugar box too...what's the deal? I loved the August Boxycharm, Sept. was amazing and October was pretty good too. After that, it just went downhill...and so far 2015 isn't off to a great start.

I got the beauty for real lip cream before and I love it. I hope it is a new shade. Anyone know what the pencil is? I'm Around for at least one more month since I waited too long to redeem my points.

So, I'm not a total Boxycharm fangirl or anything.  I just have a low stock of makeup (skin care is another story).

I like Boxycharm because they are so makeup heavy.  Theyre my main makeup sub so it's hard for me to get rid of them.

I can't believe they've got a full size Tarte bronzing serum in there!  It's not my favorite thing and I may not use it (depends) but I sure can appreciate the awesomeness of the inclusion.  Plus, hello, come to me Tarte!

I like the Beauty for Real gloss we got in Popsugar (and it's not Boxy's fault I already got one) but it might be a different color and that makes me happy.

I also like the fact that the pencil is NOT an eyeliner!  I need lipliners!  I'm reaching the age where they are very valuable indeed. Haha!  Hopefully they picked a match for the lipgloss.

I would prefer to see a different brand instead of two Beauty for Real items but I'll be honest... I wouldn't complain in the slightest if it was two Tarte products.  Or two Tarina Tarantino ones, so I guess that's not a true complaint.

The tattoos?  What is with these things? Are they really that popular because I am seeing them everywhere!  My friend actually showed up wearing some as bracelets and I totally made fun of her :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Apparently all the cool kids wear them?  I'm not a kid anymore (neither is she!) but maybe someday I'll whip them out and spice up my body a little bit.  Who knows.

tl;dr

I like this box and I'm not in high school.

Hi everyone,

I've been a long-time subscriber of Ipsy (since Dec. 2012) and I'm thinking of switching over to BoxyCharm. I think for $11 extra, full-size products of higher-end brands might be a nice change!

Of course, I need more make-up products, period, like I need a hole in the head! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Has anyone out there done the same thing (quit ipsy for BoxyCharm)? What are your thoughts? How are you enjoying the transition?

Thanks!
I totally quit Ipsy and switched over to Boxycharm and am so very happy. The product sizes and value is what did it for me. Plus I am still with Birchbox which shows up around mid month for me and Boxycharm shows up week 3-4 for it spreads my subs out a bit more. Birchbox and Ipsy would show up around the same time for me and they are similar so it is nice to have a bigger sized sub box and later in the month to look forward to.

I know! I am kinda interested in the Tarte serum too, but I'm on the fence. I looked at reviews on the Sephora website and a lot of people said they only use it at night because it has a bit of a sticky feel. Also, most people said it has that "self tanner" smell. So, based on that I don't think I would like it. I'm interested to find out what everyone thinks after they get the chance to try it.
Supposedly the sticky feel goes away after a few minutes. I am curious about the fragrance though- apparently it's a mixture of floral and self-tanner scents (not exactly an appetizing combo).  I've never been brave enough to ever try a self-tanner on my face before but since this serum is supposed to give you subtle glow/color I'm hoping that this means it is also idiot proof. As long as the scent is not too overwhelming/repulsive I figure it is worth trying it out at least once. I'm really pale at the moment so I'm hoping a hint of color might help even out my skin tone a bit and make me look a little less tired.

So, I'm not a total Boxycharm fangirl or anything.  I just have a low stock of makeup (skin care is another story).

I like Boxycharm because they are so makeup heavy.  Theyre my main makeup sub so it's hard for me to get rid of them.

I can't believe they've got a full size Tarte bronzing serum in there!  It's not my favorite thing and I may not use it (depends) but I sure can appreciate the awesomeness of the inclusion.  Plus, hello, come to me Tarte!

I like the Beauty for Real gloss we got in Popsugar (and it's not Boxy's fault I already got one) but it might be a different color and that makes me happy.

I also like the fact that the pencil is NOT an eyeliner!  I need lipliners!  I'm reaching the age where they are very valuable indeed. Haha!  Hopefully they picked a match for the lipgloss.

I would prefer to see a different brand instead of two Beauty for Real items but I'll be honest... I wouldn't complain in the slightest if it was two Tarte products.  Or two Tarina Tarantino ones, so I guess that's not a true complaint.

The tattoos?  What is with these things? Are they really that popular because I am seeing them everywhere!  My friend actually showed up wearing some as bracelets and I totally made fun of her :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Apparently all the cool kids wear them?  I'm not a kid anymore (neither is she!) but maybe someday I'll whip them out and spice up my body a little bit.  Who knows.

tl;dr

I like this box and I'm not in high school.
Yea honestly I didn't mind getting the Tattoos in PopSugar because they're kind of fun for a girls night out or to wear to the beach when it gets warmer etc. I definitely got bummed seeing them in this box though, because it takes the place of a cosmetics or a tool, or some other more substantial product.

I like being ghostly pale, so while more Tarte is awesome, it's a shame that it had to be this product. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm not complaining about a lip liner, though .That'll probably be my favorite product because I use them all the time to fill my lips in before applying lip color. it helps make my lipstick last all day. I have a makeup hoard that would scare the pants of most people, so while I never need more cosmetics this is the only box I get that is heavy on them, which is why I subscribed. 

I guess I just expected a lot more since I was so pleased with the boxes before I subscribed. It seems that since then I just haven't been as wowed by them. I'm on the fence on whether or not to continue, because it's never not worth the money, just never a home run for me, it seems.

tbh, I do see Boxycharm as an infinitely better Ipsy, which is why I will stay subscribed. I am pleased enough with this box, and all past boxes!

I am not at all a bronzer girl, but I adore oils, so I think I am going to try this on my legs--if it looks good, great, if not, I will just wear pants and have moisturized legs!   ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Oh I didn't even think of this but it's genius!  My legs need this and if it gives me a little color, it'll be better than the toilet paper white they are right now! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm actually OK with this box too, @Saffyra.  I'm glad it's a lip cream and not a gloss, and like you, I need more lip liners.  Somehow I've collected 3 pink ones, but I could really use some nudes and reds. Looks like this is a nice nude.

I'm a little worried to try the oil.  I have pretty sensitive skin that is prone to break out, and I worry if I use some of this, I won't be able to trade it things go poorly. And I'll probably trade the primer for no other reason than I have at least 10 primers floating around, some I've had for years.  

I kind of want to try the tattoos though...my hubby thinks they are ridiculous though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I made him a deal, I put my popsugar ones up for trade, and if they are still there when we go to Hawaii in March, I get to wear them.  Since I'm getting another set, I kind of have to try them, right? RIGHT? 

Last edited by a moderator:
@@raindrop you TOTALLY do!!

You can always hold back on using the oil until you see what everyone else says about it.  Or once you get it, check the ingredients against what you know your skin doesn't like.

@@raindrop you TOTALLY do!!

You can always hold back on using the oil until you see what everyone else says about it.  Or once you get it, check the ingredients against what you know your skin doesn't like.
That's true.  Although, my skin is ridiculous.  The only think I know for sure it loves is the Benton Snail Bee stuff.  Sigh, maybe by the time I hit 40, it will calm the eff down.

@@raindrop I'm super oily and acne prone and I can use the regular tarte oil and really enjoy it, haven't used this one because I'm super dark and hate getting darker. My guess it's similar...

I am not at all a bronzer girl, but I adore oils, so I think I am going to try this on my legs--if it looks good, great, if not, I will just wear pants and have moisturized legs!   ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
OMG this is an awesome suggestion.  I think I'm going to do this.  Everything else in this box sucks (I don't do lip products at all) and I was going to just put the whole box up for trade but now I have a use for the Tarte!  THANK YOU!!!

@@raindrop I'm super oily and acne prone and I can use the regular tarte oil and really enjoy it, haven't used this one because I'm super dark and hate getting darker. My guess it's similar...
I don't know, it has a ton of ingredients compared to the OG. I'll think about it...

Latest posts

Back