2009-2010 NHL Hockey Chatter

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 'hawks definitely look good, but their goaltender situation is really iffy right now. Niemi's playing well, but I don't know how he'll hold up in the playoffs... he's a rookie and his confidence could easily be lost. Huet is good, but not great.

If the Sharks can get their D together, I think they could be unstoppable, to be honest. They hit a bump, but that's mostly because one of their big D guys went down. When you lose a player who puts in 25+ minutes a game, you're going to feel it.

Now that you folks have Heatley, you could have a great chance of taking the Western division. He was not happy in Ottawa - he seems to fit right in with the Sharks.

I haven't made a decision about who is in the finals.

I'm thinking it won't be Washington - sorry Darla (he's in denial...)

Possible it might be Pitts.

I'm a die hard Leafs fan - better luck next year.

I like what you said about the Leafs - very insightful.

No can't be Pittsburgh. Bad Ben has brought them bad luck and this won't go away. If not Washington (and why not?!!) I would go with the Devils.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you seen this AHL Coach Jim Playfair goes nuts over a penalty call.

another hockey related item , Its playoffs!

634029900434557760-surprisebuttsecks.jpg

I like tenacious, scrappy teams - Sabres or Philly are my favs. Not sure if Philly is in the clear or not.

OK Darla - what's the "Canadian Version of the Buttsecks" mean? And it better be good.....

oooh i guess i do owe an explanation,,, NOT! (its pretty self-explanatory)

back to hockey, everyone has like two games left

Caps play Atl fri & Boston on sunday.

Pens play Islanders & Atl

Tampa Bay plays Ottawa and Florida twice

The reason i posted that was to figure out who might win for most goals. Currently Ovechkin and Crosby tied at 48 but Stamkos has 47 but an extra game to win or tie for the title. That goal Crosby got against the Caps was brilliant (almost should count for 2 NOT!) one of Ovechkins was an empty netter (cheap). So you're right Carolyn Stamkos might pull this out.

NHL Awards - from wiki

Hart Memorial Trophy - Awarded to the league's most valuable player

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy - Awarded to the player who exhibited outstanding sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability

Vezina Trophy - Awarded to the league's top goaltender

Calder Memorial Trophy - Awarded to the league's most outstanding rookie player

Art Ross Trophy - Awarded to the player who leads the league in total points at the end of the regular season

James Norris Memorial Trophy - Awarded to the defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position

Conn Smythe Trophy - Awarded to the most valuable player for his team in the playoffs

Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy - Awarded to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey

Lester B Pearson - Awarded to the NHL's outstanding player as selected by the members of the NHL’s Player Association.

Jack Adams Award – Awarded to the NHL coach adjudged to have contributed the most to his team's success.

Frank J Selke Trophy - Awarded to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game

William M Jennings Trophy - Awarded to the goalkeeper(s) having played a minimum of 25 games for the team with the fewest goals scored against it in the regular season

NHL Plus-Minus Award - Awarded to the player with the highest plus/minus statistic in the regular season

King Clancy Memorial Trophy - Awarded to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community

NHL Foundation Player Award - Awarded to the player who applies the core values of hockey to enrich the lives of people in his community

Maurice ‘Rocket’ Richard Trophy - Awarded to the top goal scorer in the regular season

Roger Crozier Saving Grace Award - Awarded to the goaltender who has played a minimum of 25 games in the regular season and has the highest save percentage

Mark Messier Leadership Award - Awarded to the player who exemplifies great leadership qualities to his team, on and off the ice, during the regular season

NHL Lifetime Achievement Award - Awarded to a National Hockey League veteran in recognition of their contributions to the league; the original was Gordie Howe

Scotiabank Fan Fav Award - Awarded to a National Hockey League player based on fan voting.

.................................................. .................................................. ................

Anyone have any predictions about award winners?

Lots of Trophies!!

+/- will probably be Ovechkin

Maurice ‘Rocket’ Richard Trophy may be Stamkos.... or not

Roger Crozier Saving Grace Award to that Boston goalie hey what happened to Tim Thomas he was good too?

Some of the players will know before the award ceremony, if they have won an award.

Depends on the credentials.

I think the Vezina will go to the sabres goalie (forget his name yikkes!)

Lots of awards to be had for such a modest league huh.

thanks

an update: Ovechkin scores 2 today (during the Caps victory ) to bring his total to 50, Crosby got to 49 yesterday and

Stamkos is at 48. This will be close!

it was funny after the game during the interviewing. they were showing off the puck Ovechkin got his 50th goal with but it was also Backstrom's 100 point on the assist. So they're going to cut the puck in half and give each of them a half.

bronzecup.gif

The win today gives the Caps 120 pts for the season. Thats a nice milestone. i know... i know doesn't mean a thing in the post season.

49448-hockey-fans-hockey-demotivational-poster-1270857348.jpg

Here's the play off schedule for round one - best of seven.

Washington vs Montreal - start Thursday 7:00

New Jersey vs Philadelphia - start Wednesday 7:30

Buffalo vs Boston- start Thursday 7:00

Pittsburgh vs Ottawa start Wednesday 7:00

San Jose vs Colorado start Wednesday 10:30

Chicago vs Nashville - start Thursday 10:00

Vancouver vs Los Angelos - start Thursday 10:00

Phoenix vs Detroit - start Wednesday 10:00

Let me know if I got any start dates wrong

I think that the Western division is going to be more exciting and unpredictable this year - I'll have to stay up later to take in the games!

.................................................. .................................................. ...

Art Ross trophy hasn't sunk in yet for Canucks' Sedin. The 29-year-old Swede finished the season with 29 goals and 83 assists for 112 points.

Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby and the Lightning's Steven Stamkos shared the Maurice Richard Trophy. Each finished the campaign with 51 goals.

Wow - big shut out for OV. Wonder if this is an omen for more things to come?

thanks for sharing that Carolyn. I assumed the Caps were up against Philly but better for them to off the Devils first.

Yeah that last game against Boston was tough not just for Ovy but the rest of the Caps too, Boston has two excellent goalies but cannot always score easily since they parted ways with Kessel and not having Savard hurts too.

I want Washington to win, but recognize their deficiencies. If THeodore can get another streak like he had a few months ago, the Caps will be unstoppable. The defense can be good at times, but if there is a knock against Mike Green ( & probably the reason he didn't make the Canadian OLympic team) is that he seems so focused on scoring that sometimes his defense is not the best. maybe not true but just a perception.

Caps were very mixed against Montreal this season, i hope they get out of first round unscathed which i think they will. the word in all the papers is how much the Caps want a piece of the Pens, but it might be easy to overlook a number of really fine teams and take them too lightly.

Interesting playoffs wish we were getting more posting. I can't believe how back and forth it has been going.

hey have you seen the green guys?

these were normally for Vancouver

the Caps of course have the Capstronaut!

How do these guys get this fabulous seats?

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well ya know what they say - it's not who you know... i've read variations on the completion of this line....

Looking at the green men and the Capstranaut, which completion would you suggest?

Hey Philly won...wonder who they are going to play against in round 2?

The farther into the 1st round we get, the more surprising it looks. Blackhawks are slipping and other match-ups that seemed to be no contest have gotten tight and defied predictions.

I'm a Red Wings fan and I think no mater who you're rooting for in that match-up, you've been surprised a few times. We had a much needed 3-0 win tonight, but that definitely does not mean the Coyotes are down for the count. I'm a realistic fan, I know the Wings tend to fall apart sometimes when they really can't afford to and to give them their due, the Coyotes have been playing extremely well. (A lot like the Wings played last year...)

I just gotta say no matter who gets to the Cup, I loooooooooooooove playoff hockey. The hits, the saves, the strange fans....it's just all so good.
smile.gif

Any predictions for the Western Conference Finals or the Cup playoff now that we're so much farther in?

Western Conference hmm...

In the first round, SJ will take the Avalanche, Nash will take Chicago, LA will beat Van, and Detroit vs Phoenix, I'm not sure.

I'm thinking that SJ or Detroit/Phoenix could win the western co0nference.

In the eastern conference, Wash will beat Mont, Philly will take NJ, not sure about Bos vs Buff, and Pitts will beat Ott.

I don't believe that Wash will get passed the 2nd round.

I'd love to see Philly go all the way! They are my sentimental fav.

But it might be Pitts or Buff that takes the Eastern division.

what a horrible game last night for the sens. Crosby you are just too good and too hot.

OK Caps go up 3-1 vs Montreal. GO CAPS!

Boston & Phlly & Pittsburgh are both up 3-1 as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

in the west:

Col & San Jose, Phoenix & Detroit are tied 2-2

LA, Nashville up 2-1

Latest posts

Back