Awesome ! Geisha putting on face makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The face paint of the geisha (or maiko, an apprentice geisha) is a mask. To give a hint of what the bare face beneath the mask might be; the white base is not extended to the hairline in the front or back. The artificial curve of white on her forehead, and the double swallow's tail design which reveals the nape of her neck indicate that this perfectly painted face is for public appearance only, just as actors wear heavy stage makeup. For important ceremonial occasions, the swallow's tail with three points is used. Some geisha use a stencil to properly place the design. This artist used ancient traditional methods and painted it freehand.

The white face paint and carmine lip paint might be available online from a Japanese company. But in the West I am sure we can find a white foundation in theatrical makeup, goth or clown white, deep cherry red lipstick, and pink and charcoal powder eyeshadows.

http://www.violetmoonworks.com.au/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=geisha&ecSid=8 f2267447226d51ac0f8a677340985b7&x=13&y=13

has some Japanese style theatrical makeup and exquisite authentic-looking brushes. It seems quite expensive; but maybe would be less in American dollars.

Immortal Geisha - Make-Up of Geisha and Maiko has information about the process of becoming a geisha including the fascinating hairdo, costume and cosmetic detials.

Hannari-Ya Home Page sells makeup direct from Kyoto. This stuff looks authentic; but can be pricey. On the ebay store a bar of wax (I don't know if its the wax you painfully drag on your face or the wax you painfully drag on your hair) is $13.99. Pots of makeup are about $40 USA dollars. The red lipstick in a pot is $19.99 and $3.50 postage. That facial masque made of nightingale droppings is supposed to be pretty good. Someone who tried it wrote in her blog (I forget who this was) that it smelled "musky" (that means funky) but left her skin soft and silky.

(If a popup window for the links below asks you to install Japanese language letters, click cancel and it will give you an English translation. Sometimes you have to do it twice.)

I have had trouble with this link to another site that discussed how to obtain and apply the special makeup either authentic doran and rice powder, etc. from Japan or theatrical cosmetics such as Ben Nye. They discuss the special white cosmetic, the puff that smooths it and how to eliminate excess water. http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+7101 To reach the three pages of discussion about geisha makeup, please type "geisha makeup" into the search box on the upper right of that page. (It says "Google custom search")

(Please remember, if a popup window for the links below asks you to install Japanese language letters, click cancel and it will give you an English translation.) I have been retyping and testing this link for hours! I couldn't get the correct window every time. When you get to the www.japan-guide.com/forum link, look for a page headed "Geisha makeup" It asks, "What is the white face makeup that Geisha's wear made of?" That is the correct page.

http://www.mitsuyoshi-make.com/epmake1.html This shows some still photos of the geisha makeup application for those who would like to study the details.

Good luck to any who wish to try this look. Please, I hope you will post in this thread if you import any brushes or cosmetics so we will learn how your experience went.

With love,

Ruthie

wow! that was awesome! I want to try that now. I wonder where people go to buy that kind of makeup.

omg! that was amazing! i want to know what foundation that was! but that skin tugging thing was a little disarming at first!!

Latest posts

Back