What about this - mmu with chocolate!?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Emily86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif oh my god, so you mean that a product with cornstarch and no preservatives will most likely cause a fungus problem at some point?!
so my beloved pure luxe powder eraser is a serious health threat? its ingredients: tapioca starch, cornstarch, octenylbutanedioate, aluminum salt, boron nitride, lauroyl lysine, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, crushed pearl powder, zinc oxide, mica, iron oxide, sericite, titanium dioxide, kaolin, Cyclopentasiloxane Dimethicone

and what about my Everyday minerals' Finishing dust? it's only got cornstarch and 3 other ingredients. i can't recognise preservatives but none of them look like it.

sorry if i misunderstood you but i'm really scared now!

Don't be scared at all.

I have used both Pure Luxe's Eraser and EDM's finishing dust and love EDM's finishing dust. I never thought about either of them containing organic materials with no preservatives included until your mention of them at this point. I have had no problems with them. Then again, I personally have had no problems with anything of a serious nature. I simply was stating what I think is a viewpoint that most cosmetic manufacturers have, that caution is needed when using organic materials in skin care or cosmetics. If nothing else shortened shelf life warnings and warnings to avoid humid conditions.

My statement was in no way made to berate the product or any other. I'm not saying that at all. I'm not saying that about any product with no preservatives. I only was relaying what did happen with a friend of mine. The product was contaminated. Apparantly it was a bad batch and it very well may have had nothing at all to do with the manufacturer. The point of contamination may have occurred with the Cornstarch itself prior to the manufacturer using it in her formula. As I stated I was only expressing personal concern (and only because of what happened with her, my friend) over my hesitance to use from that point forward any cosmetic that contains organic material with no preservative. Simply my personal "thing".

I've used pure Cornstarch in the past as a finishing powder years ago. I've also used Tapioca Starch, not in a cosmetic formulation, but from a box. I never experienced any problems. She did. Then again I've seen fungus grow on makeup left in humid conditions and this wasn't mineral makeup. That isn't what happened in her case. Her mineral radiance/highlighter was purchased in the winter and used the very day that it arrived in the mail. It was never used again because the fungus broke her out immediately.

It wasn't my intent to offend or berate any product. Simply contributing an experience and my opinion.

Latest posts

Back