What about this - mmu with chocolate!?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any reviews on Mode foundation or other products? I emailed CS for shade help but definitely want to try it. thanks!

has anyone tried this out?i'm really excited to see some colours there

the foundation must smell yummy

Great prices but no preservatives freaks me out. I had a BF get a bad fungal infection 2 years ago from a mineral makeup with organic ingredients that didn't have preservatives. It took months for it to clear up.

lol at first i thought you meant to put mmu on your chocolate to make it better!!!

Am I missing something? This brand seems seriously deceptive. I mean how organic and natural are all the synthetic dyes, polybutene, polyethelene, propylene glychol, polyurethane polymer, triethanolamine, octododecanol, parabens, BHT, Synthetic beeswax (sure it's vegan friendly but there are other vegan friendly NON synthetic waxes)... They have natural and organic splashed across the top of their website, but if you read their ingredients lists (which many consumers don't) these are basically traditional cosmetics with an asterisk next to anything that is natural. Sure the foundation is natural, but I agree with everyone else that unpreserved cocoa is dangerous. This seems very... shady to me. Playing on the natural thing without meeting the very basic standards of what most small companies call natural. I don't mind using some synthetics, but I don't like being misled by companies.

the colors are nice btw.

Can i ask some a couple of questions?

what does Kosher have anything to do with mineral makeup? i looked up Kosher laws and all it talked about was food, no makeup. oh never mind i looked at the ingredients list and they mention like almond oil so since it is a food extract it is kosher.

so that's real cocoa that's in there? wow that is unique isn't it?

Originally Posted by makeupbabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif Am I missing something? This brand seems seriously deceptive. I mean how organic and natural are all the synthetic dyes, polybutene, polyethelene, propylene glychol, polyurethane polymer, triethanolamine, octododecanol, parabens, BHT, Synthetic beeswax (sure it's vegan friendly but there are other vegan friendly NON synthetic waxes)... They have natural and organic splashed across the top of their website, but if you read their ingredients lists (which many consumers don't) these are basically traditional cosmetics with an asterisk next to anything that is natural. Sure the foundation is natural, but I agree with everyone else that unpreserved cocoa is dangerous. This seems very... shady to me. Playing on the natural thing without meeting the very basic standards of what most small companies call natural. I don't mind using some synthetics, but I don't like being misled by companies. It looks like most of their products are natural or use naturally derived ingredients. They have some really great colors too!

After I read your comment I was concerned and you scared me! I checked out Hershey's cocoa in my kitchen and the ingredients are: Cocoa.

That's it. No preservatives at all. Silly me...of course, cocoa is safe. My goodness, after all we eat it!! And I would never give up chocolate. I even went on the site and learned that cocoa is a natural source of antioxidants!! This is awesome, so my Mode foundation that I bought is actually good for my skin. What a relief!

I think it's wrong of you to scare people by saying it's dangerous without educating yourself first. I think I'm going to have to be much more careful

in believing your opinions from now on.

Here's the link to Hershey so you can learn about cocoa too!

HERSHEY'S COCOA - HERSHEY'S

I'm not an expert on the necessity of preservatives or anything like that but I do know that if something is organic in nature and is introduced to moisture, bacteria, etc... harmful growths can take place and this is the reason that when manufacturers use organic materials in skincare items they either use preservatives or specify a shortened shelf life for safety precautions for the product. They also many times will include warnings such as refrigeration is needed, take care not to introduce moisture into the product, or store in a cool dry place.

Also to Newyorlatin, could you mention what the particular organic material was?

Wow I seriously wasn't trying to scare anybody or divert them from buying what looks like a fantastic bargain priced product.

I was relaying a sincere and serious story about another member on this board (was a member-Gvieve- who contracted a very serious fungal infection from a company that gave out product on this board. She didn't mention them by name but of cours being her best friend I was aware of not only the product but also later watched the fungus grow striata lined bacteria and mold in it's tightly sealed package. This stuff was grody and gross to the max. It was a highlighter product that had cornstarch in it's base with no preservatives.

She had no problem with the foundation or blushes but the highlighters were so highly numberered with fungus that the very day that she received them and used them she contracted a horrible fungus within hours. This confirmed by her physician and lab tests.

Of course this company is not that company I was only expressing my personal concern over the non-usage of preservative with organic material and sharing a semi-personal story for anyone who would appreciate it as I would.

Please excuse me and I sincerely hope that it is as fantastic product as it looks. Believe me, it tempts the heck out of me but I did witness first hand my friends condition.

Hi newyorlatin, what was the brand that your friend broke out from? What specifiaclly was the organic material/ingredients? Was it a certified organic product? I'm confused!!!

My bottle says: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, and cocoa. Its all natural, but not organic. There are no organic ingredients in this mmu product and it doesn't say anywhere on the bottle or site that this product is organic. I think by law you have to state if a product is organic. What makes you think this is organic? Am I missing something? I think you are confusing two different categories of products.

Originally Posted by makeupbabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif Am I missing something? This brand seems seriously deceptive. I mean how organic and natural are all the synthetic dyes, polybutene, polyethelene, propylene glychol, polyurethane polymer, triethanolamine, octododecanol, parabens, BHT, Synthetic beeswax (sure it's vegan friendly but there are other vegan friendly NON synthetic waxes)... They have natural and organic splashed across the top of their website, but if you read their ingredients lists (which many consumers don't) these are basically traditional cosmetics with an asterisk next to anything that is natural. Sure the foundation is natural, but I agree with everyone else that unpreserved cocoa is dangerous. This seems very... shady to me. Playing on the natural thing without meeting the very basic standards of what most small companies call natural. I don't mind using some synthetics, but I don't like being misled by companies. I totally agree with you!! There's nothing I hate more than this kind of deceptive marketing.

Originally Posted by amyrose22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif It looks like most of their products are natural or use naturally derived ingredients. You must be joking! Did you even look at the ingredients page? The only products that don't have synthetic chemicals are the foundations and the eyeshadows. (The eyeshadows have aluminum powder though which I personally would not apply anywhere on my body. Aluminum accumulation has been linked to Alzheimers disease among other problems.)
MODE COSMETICS MADE WITH NATURAL ORGANIC KOSHER INGREDIENTS. CUSTOMER SERVICE

All the other products have tons of questionable, synthetic chemicals.

Quote:
GLIDE & GLOW BLUSH/HIGHLIGHTER STICKCYCLOMETHICONE, COCONUT OIL*, CANDELILLA WAX, MICA, SYNTHETIC BEESWAX (VEGAN FRIENDLY), CASTOR OIL*, SWEET ALMOND OIL*, PROPYLPARABEN*, BHT*. MAY CONTAIN: IRON OXIDES, RED 7 CA LAKE, RED 6 BA LAKE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CARMINE, TIN OXIDE. (*certified kosher)

VOLTAGE LASH MASCARAPURIFIED WATER, STEARIC ACID*, SYNTHETIC BEESWAX (VEGAN FRIENDLY), CYCLOMETHICONE, IRON OXIDES, GLYCERAL STEARATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL*, CANDELILLA WAX, OCTYLDODECANOL, PVP, TRIETHANOLAMINE, ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, CERTIFIED ORGANIC SHEA BUTTER**, PHENOXYETHANOL*, METHYLPARABEN*, PROPYLPARABEN*.

(**certified organic)(*certified kosher)

CRYSTAL CLEAR #2001 VOLTAGE LASH MASCARA

PURIFIED WATER, ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, PROPYLENE GLYCOL*, TRIETHANOLAMINE, POLYURETHANE POLYMER, PHENOXYETHANOL*, METHYLPARABEN*, PROPYLPARABEN*.

(*certified kosher)

EYE LINER

HYDROGENATED PALM GLYCERIDES, HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL GLYCERIDES, POLYETHYLENE, JAPAN WAX, OCTYLDODECANOL, CARNAUBA WAX, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, ALOE VERA, VITAMIN E, BHT, BUTYLPARABEN, CITRIC ACID. MAY CONTAIN: MICA, IRON OXIDES, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, ULTRAMARINE BLUE, CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN, FERRIC AMMONIUM FERROCYANIDE, MANGANESE VIOLET, CARMINE, CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS, ULTRAMARINE PINK, FERRIC FERROCYANIDE, ALUMINUM POWDER, HYDROGENATED COCO-GLYCERIDES, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL, HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE, QUATERNIUM 18 BENTONITE, MICROCRYSTALLINE WAX, HYDROXYLATED LANOLIN, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE.

LIP POLISH

POLYBUTENE, CASTOR OIL*, OCTYLDODECANOL, SWEET ALMOND OIL*, CERTIFIED ORGANIC SHEA BUTTER**, CANDELILLA WAX, NAT. & ART. GRAPEFRUIT OIL*, PROPYLPARABEN*, BHT*, SODIUM SACCHARIN. MAY CONTAIN: PEPPERMINT OIL, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, IRON OXIDES, MICA, RED 27 AL LAKE, RED 7 CA LAKE, RED 6, RED 6 BA LAKE, BLUE 1 LAKE. (**certified organic) (*certified kosher)

LIP LACQUER

POLYBUTENE, CASTOR OIL*, OCTYLDODECANOL, SWEET ALMOND OIL*, CANDELILLA WAX, NAT. & ART. GRAPEFRUIT OIL*, PEPPERMINT OIL (UNDERCOVER ONLY), PROPYLPARABEN*, BHT*, SODIUM SACCHARIN. MAY CONTAIN: MICA, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, IRON OXIDES, RED 7 CA LAKE, RED 6 BA LAKE, BLUE 1 AL LAKE, RED 6. (*certified kosher)

LIP GLAZEPOLYBUTENE, OCTYLDODECANOL, FLAVOR, PEPPERMINT OIL (SHEER PEPPERMINT ONLY), SWEET ALMOND OIL*, PROPYLPARABEN*, BHT*. MAY CONTAIN: RED 27 AL LAKE, RED 6 BA LAKE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, RED 7 CA LAKE, RED 6, IRON OXIDES, BLUE 1 AL LAKE, SODIUM SACCHARIN.

(*certified kosher)

LIP CREME

POLYBUTENE, CASTOR OIL*, SWEET ALMOND OIL*, OCTYLDODECANOL, CANDELILLA WAX, SYNTHETIC BEESWAX (VEGAN FRIENDLY), NAT. & ART. GRAPEFRUIT OIL*, CERTIFIED ORGANIC SHEA BUTTER**, PROPYLPARABEN*, BHT*, SODIUM SACCHARIN. MAY CONTAIN: MICA, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, IRON OXIDES, RED 6 BA LAKE, RED 6, RED 7 CA LAKE, BLUE 1 AL LAKE.

(**certified organic) (*certified kosher)

LUSTRE LIPSTICKCASTOR OIL*, CANDELILLA WAX, PETROLATUM*, LANOLIN*, ISOPROPYL PALMITATE, BEESWAX, OLEYL ALCOHOL, OZOKERITE, STEARIC ACID*, SORBITAN STEARATE, CARNAUBA WAX, CETYL ALCOHOL, FRAGRANCE, PROPYLPARABEN*, BHA. MAY CONTAIN: SWEET ALMOND OIL*, TOCOPHEROL (VITAMIN E), CERTIFIED ORGANIC SHEA BUTTER**, NAT. & ART. GRAPEFRUIT OIL*, BHT, RED 6 BA LAKE, RED 7 CA LAKE, RED 21 AL LAKE, RED 27 ZIR LAKE, RED 33 AL LAKE, RED 36 LAKE, YELLOW 5 ZIR LAKE, YELLOW 6 AL LAKE, ORANGE 5 AL LAKE, BLUE 1 AL LAKE, MICA, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, MANGANESE VIOLET, IRON OXIDES. (**certified organic) (*certified kosher)

LIP TINTS

CASTOR OIL*, SWEET ALMOND OIL*, POLYBUTENE, CANDELILLA WAX, OCTYLDODECANOL, SYNTHETIC BEESWAX (VEGAN FRIENDLY), CERTIFIED ORGANIC SHEA BUTTER**, NAT. & ART. GRAPEFRUIT OIL*, PROPYLPARABEN*, BHT*, SODIUM SACCHARIN. MAY CONTAIN: MICA, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, RED 6 LAKE, RED 6, RED 7 LAKE, BLUE 1 LAKE. (**certified organic) (*certified kosher)

LIP LINERHYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL, JAPAN WAX, SYNTHETIC BEESWAX (VEGAN FRIENDLY), QUATERNIUM 18 BENTONITE, HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, ALOE VERA, VITAMIN E, BHT, BHA, CITRIC ACID. MAY CONTAIN: HYDROGENATED PALM GLYCERIDES, HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL GLYCERIDES, ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE, CARNAUBA WAX, STEARALKONIUM HECTORITE, PROPYLENE CARBONATE, MICA, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, IRON OXIDES, TALC, RED 7 CA LAKE, YELLOW 6 AL LAKE, RED 40 AL LAKE, RED 6 BA LAKE, RED 30 LAKE, RED 27 AL LAKE.

LIP SAVIORSYNTHETIC BEESWAX (VEGAN FRIENDLY), CASTOR OIL*, SWEET ALMOND OIL*, CERTIFIED ORGANIC SHEA BUTTER**, COCONUT OIL*, FLAVOR*, BHT*. MAY CONTAIN: PEPPERMINT OIL, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, IRON OXIDES, YELLOW 5, BLUE 1 LK, YELLOW 6, RED 6 BA LAKE, RED 27, RED 7 CA LAKE. (**certified organic) (*certified kosher)

LIP JUICE

POLYBUTENE, CASTOR OIL*, OCTYLDODECANOL, SWEET ALMOND OIL*, CANDELILLA WAX, CERTIFIED ORGANIC SHEA BUTTER**, LANOLIN*, COCONUT OIL*, GRAPESEED OIL, AVOCADO OIL, GRAPEFRUIT OIL*, PROPYLPARABEN*, BHT*. MAY CONTAIN: PEPPERMINT OIL, MICA, FLAVOR, BEESWAX, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, IRON OXIDES, RED 7 LAKE, RED 6 LAKE, RED 6, RED 27 LAKE, BLUE 1 LAKE, YELLOW 6 LAKE, YELLOW 5 LAKE. (**certified organic) (*certified kosher)

LIP JUICE JUICY ICE #258

POLYBUTENE, OCTYLDODECANOL, CERTIFIED ORGANIC SHEA BUTTER**, SWEET ALMOND OIL*, BEESWAX, PEPPERMINT OIL, GRAPESEED OIL, AVOCADO OIL, COCONUT OIL, CASTOR OIL*, LANOLIN*, PROPYLPARABEN*, BHT*. (**certified organic) (*certified kosher)

NAIL ENAMELETHYL ACETATE, BUTYL ACETATE, NITROCELLULOSE, PHTHALIC ANHYDRIDE/TRIMELLITIC ANHYDRIDE/GLYCOLS COPOLYMER, ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL, SUCROSE ACETATE ISOBUTYRATE, ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, STEARALKONIUM HECTORITE, CAMPHOR, DIBUTYL PHTHLATE, CITRIC ACID, BENZOPHENONE-1. MAY CONTAIN: SD ALCOHOL 40B, AMYL ACETATE, TOLUENE, ETHYL TOSYLAMIDE/FORMALDEHYDE RESIN, BUTYL ALCOHOL, DIMETHICONE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, D&C RED 6 BA LK, D&C RED 7 CA LK, D&C RED 34 CA LK, RD&C YELLOW 5 AL LK, FD&C BLUE 1, FERRIC FERROCYANIDE, BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE, IRON OXIDES, MICA, GUANINE, ALUMINUM POWDER, POLYETHYLENE TEREPHTHALATE.

Yeah... real "Green" and "Organic".
rolleyes1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyrose22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif After I read your comment I was concerned and you scared me! I checked out Hershey's cocoa in my kitchen and the ingredients are: Cocoa.
...I think it's wrong of you to scare people by saying it's dangerous without educating yourself first. I think I'm going to have to be much more careful

in believing your opinions from now on.

Here's the link to Hershey so you can learn about cocoa too!

HERSHEY'S COCOA - HERSHEY'S

Uh, I don't think she was referring to the cocoa. She was referring to all the nasty chemicals in the other products listed above.

Originally Posted by amyrose22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi newyorlatin, what was the brand that your friend broke out from? What specifiaclly was the organic material/ingredients? Was it a certified organic product? I'm confused!!!
My bottle says: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, and cocoa. Its all natural, but not organic. There are no organic ingredients in this mmu product and it doesn't say anywhere on the bottle or site that this product is organic. I think by law you have to state if a product is organic. What makes you think this is organic? Am I missing something? I think you are confusing two different categories of products.

Organically grown fruits, vegetables and other plants and organically raised meat are one thing. These can and should be certified organic when advertised that they are organic. The more correct term is organically grown or raised.
The distinction is important when talking chemistry.

Inorganic chemicals are found in nature as minerals, like those you find in pure mineral makeup.

Organic chemicals are carbon and hydrogen based chemicals and have nothing to do with whether something is grown or raised without pesticides, antibiotics and other synthetic chemicals.

Cocoa is considered an organic substance in chemistry by it's very nature. It has nothing to do with whether it was grown pesticide free and certified organically grown or not.

Pure mineral makeup pretty much lasts forever because bacteria and other harmful microorganisms cannot grow in it.

When you add an organic (carbon and hydrogen based) ingredient, the product is now able to support the growth of harmful microbes. Corn starch, rice powder, cocoa, oat powder and probably almost everything in your refrigerator is made up of organic chemicals.

When I talk about a product that is full of chemicals, I mean synthetic chemicals that tend to cause negative reactions and problems. But if you want to nit-pick, everything is made up of chemicals/elements.

See these links for a much better explanation:

Chemistry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inorganic chemistry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Organic chemistry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@ MK12:

WOW, you don't read do you??? Makeupbabe said, "but I agree with everyone else that unpreserved cocoa is dangerous." She was specifically referring to cocoa! Are you her mouth piece or something? I'm not an idiot so don't spin when you don't even know what you are talking about! Again, you do not read. Since you are the 'chemical expert' please why don't you write a letter to Hersheys or Sharfenberger, and tell them how dangerous their cocoa powder is, because you obviously know better that them!

Um, are you a chemist or something? Wow, great sources from "Wikipedia'. Common knowledge...experts never source wikipedia! I'm so sick of coming on forums and having every tom dick and harry as the 'chemical expert' spewing and spinning words and have their own agenda to push and trying to confuse the heck out of consumers like me.

The ingredient was Cornstarch and I'd rather not specify the company as she didn't but I'll post the link that she posted here on the forum a year or so ago.

Searched but she's got over 1000 posts so I'm cross-eyed.

Anyway it wasn't foundation but a highlighter and it had cornstarch in it with no preservative. "Jacked" her gorgeous face up for months too.

Quote:
I think it's wrong of you to scare people by saying it's dangerous without educating yourself first. I think I'm going to have to be much more carefulin believing your opinions from now on.

I am sorry if I scared you, but I do educate myself. And it is not unusual for this sort of discussion to be had about organic ingredients in makeup. Your cocoa powder in your kitchen is in a an airtight container. Your makeup is in a jar in your humid bathroom and you dip an brush in it that is coated with your skin oils. This introduces contaminates and moisture into the product, which can grow bacteria, fungus, molds... It's up to you if you want to trust my opinions on here, but I think your hostility is a bit uncalled for.
I just read the rest of this thread and see you do not know what "organic" in the non political sense means, so I guess I am not the one that needs educating. Basic chemistry could give you a little clue as to what we are talking about. You don't need to be an expert to know basic chemistry you should have learned it in 6th grade. Your hostility about this subject is a bit stunning.

Originally Posted by newyorlatin /img/forum/go_quote.gif This stuff was grody and gross to the max. It was a highlighter product that had cornstarch in it's base with no preservatives.She had no problem with the foundation or blushes but the highlighters were so highly numberered with fungus that the very day that she received them and used them she contracted a horrible fungus within hours. This confirmed by her physician and lab tests.

oh my god, so you mean that a product with cornstarch and no preservatives will most likely cause a fungus problem at some point?!
so my beloved pure luxe powder eraser is a serious health threat? its ingredients: tapioca starch, cornstarch, octenylbutanedioate, aluminum salt, boron nitride, lauroyl lysine, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, crushed pearl powder, zinc oxide, mica, iron oxide, sericite, titanium dioxide, kaolin, Cyclopentasiloxane Dimethicone

and what about my Everyday minerals' Finishing dust? it's only got cornstarch and 3 other ingredients. i can't recognise preservatives but none of them look like it.

sorry if i misunderstood you but i'm really scared now!

Originally Posted by makeupbabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif Your cocoa powder in your kitchen is in a an airtight container. False. Cocoa, including big name brands like Hershey's and Scharfenberger, are not sold in air tight containers. Wrong again. My basic chemistry knowledge tells me that if something is soooo dangerous and scary when applied topically without a preservative, then it would be equally as dangerous and scary when ingested? I guess Hershey's is out on a mission to contaminate the world....OH NOOOOOOOOO!
scared2.gif

Originally Posted by makeupbabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif Your makeup is in a jar in your humid bathroom and you dip an brush in it that is coated with your skin oils. This introduces contaminates and moisture into the product, which can grow bacteria, fungus, molds. What you describe above, is what can happen to anyone, at any time, with any makeup, it doesn't matter if it is conventional or mmu. Even the most well preserved products, stored in a humid bathroom or not, can grow bacteria, fungus, and mold.
Your tone from the beginning assumes that no one can think for themselves and is dumb, and that is outright condescending. I've wasted my time enough. Please keep up the misinformation.
7dh.gif

Quote:
What you describe above, is what can happen to anyone, at any time, with any makeup, it doesn't matter if it is conventional or mmu. Even the most well preserved products, stored in a humid bathroom or not, can grow bacteria, fungus, and mold.
Your tone from the beginning assumes that no one can think for themselves and is dumb, and that is outright condescending. I've wasted my time enough. Please keep up the misinformation.

Actually you are sort of correct, this could happen at any time with any product. However a conventional product contains a preservative. This preservative is used to kill off any contaminates for a certain amount of time. Once the preservative system is exhausted the product must be disposed of, thus the common knowledge that makeup products should be thrown away if not used in a certain amount of time (mascara in 2 - 3 months and creams or lotions after 1 - 2 years). The benefit of mineral makeup is that it is made of entirely inert ingredients, meaning they can not harbor or grow bacteria. Yes, if you dump a tablespoon of water into your minerals they will grow mold... well actually the water will, not the minerals, but in general humidity and daily use do not contribute enough contaminates to cause bacteria and mold to grow. Once an organic ingredient is added, such as cocoa, corn, oat, soy, rice, etc. then these are no longer inert. They alone can harbor bacteria and if they become wet or greasy the bacteria and fungus will feed off them. If this is "misinformation" I would appreciate some non wikipedia links to prove me wrong.
As for my tone. I am surprised you are misunderstanding me so completely. I am not saying people can't think for themselves or are dumb. Your tone however is the nastiest I have ever come across. So far all you have done is throw insults and accuse several people of being misinformed. As I said before your hostility is shocking.

Latest posts

Back