Ladies, how often do you clean your brushes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by lotusindigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif No, I've never tried rinsing the cleaner out, I'll try that, thanks!
I used to use baby shampoo to wash my BE brushes, but that dried them out. Now that I have better brushes, I don't want to dry them out by doing the same thing.

If you have animal hair brushes, after washing them in shampoo, you can put a tiny bit of "leave in" conditioner on it to prevent dryness

I clean my brushes with a mixture of Dr. Bronner's soap and water in a spritzer after I use them everday. They dry within within minutes. I also rub them dry with a microfiber cloth so this may help with the time. I wash them every couple of weeks using Dr. Bronner's soap full strength.

Once every 1-2 weeks. Does anyone use homemade brush cleanser? I made it the way EnKore teaches on YouTube. I love how I can always make it in 5 minutes.

I hardly ever thought about cleaning my brushes, till I started working with a make up artist and I saw her do it! She told me her brushes last forever, and all she does is wash them in a gentle shampoo like baby shampoo.

I wash my brushes every week or every two weeks.
smile.gif
I use regular shampoo. I don't think it dries them but maybe I should start using other methods of cleaning my brushes.
wink.gif

okay here's an update. I've been cleaning my brushes weekly with baby shampoo. The thing is my natural hair brushes dried up nicely and are able to retain their normal shapes but my synthetic hair brushes became a little stiff and pokey after every wash. Am I suppose to use different brush cleaner for the synthetic hair brushes? :

Now I feel embarrassed. Only cleaned my brushes recently, for the first time.

Originally Posted by rizzie_x3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif okay here's an update. I've been cleaning my brushes weekly with baby shampoo. The thing is my natural hair brushes dried up nicely and are able to retain their normal shapes but my synthetic hair brushes became a little stiff and pokey after every wash. Am I suppose to use different brush cleaner for the synthetic hair brushes? : This only happens to me with SOME synthetic brushes. For example, my EDM foundation brush became stiff and did not hold its shape properly after its first was... plus, it took forever (as in DAYS) for the bristles to dry all the way. I thought it was because it was a synthetic brush. But my Essence of Beauty synthetic foundation brushes dry overnight, and retain their shape and softness perfectly. So it might be a matter of the quality of your brushes?

Originally Posted by lotusindigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif This only happens to me with SOME synthetic brushes. For example, my EDM foundation brush became stiff and did not hold its shape properly after its first was... plus, it took forever (as in DAYS) for the bristles to dry all the way. I thought it was because it was a synthetic brush. But my Essence of Beauty synthetic foundation brushes dry overnight, and retain their shape and softness perfectly. So it might be a matter of the quality of your brushes? aw thanks for the reply. yeah those are the premium EDM foundation/powder brushes - stiff and scratchy. Yike! It's funny how they named it premium when the quality is noway near decent. I hope my pre-buy Lumiere brush set arrive soon so I can replace my crappy EDM brushes with them.
rotfl.gif

As a rule of thumb, natural bristles will get softer over time and with use; synthetic will get harder.

I deep clean my brushes every 2 wks. It's unbelievable the amount of stuff that comes out.

Once a week does it for mine...I use a baby shampoo, watered down a bit.

Stevie

Back