Ladies, how often do you clean your brushes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by mimosa23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Question regarding brush cleaning:
I've recently changed over completely to synthetic brushes, and it seems my synthetic kabuki takes about three times as long to dry as my natural hair one... Any reasons why?

I clean my brushes like this: I wet them with lukewarm water, squeeze, then lather a teeny amount of baby shampoo in my hand, lather the brush hair, rinse, squeeze and shake, repeat with the rinsing till water is clear and there's no shampoo left in between brush hair. Then I squeeze and shake the brush out and wipe the brush on a soft towel, and then I lie them down to dry after reshaping them. Now, with the natural hair brush it takes about half a day to be completely dry, with the synthetic about a day and a half... Why?

Basically because synthetic hairs are just that, synthetic, and their make-up takes longer to dry than natural hair. That's why I have a few backups of my Lumiere kabuki brushes so I can use one while the rest dry up.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by periwinkle_sky /img/forum/go_quote.gif Basically because synthetic hairs are just that, synthetic, and their make-up takes longer to dry than natural hair. That's why I have a few backups of my Lumiere kabuki brushes so I can use one while the rest dry up.
smile.gif
Thanks for the logical explanation! It all makes sense now! I guess I'm going to use your tip, and keep one of my natural hair kabukis at hand just in case my synthetic one doesn't dry in time! (of course, I could also order another synthetic one.... Oh dear, more ordering to do, LOL!)

thanks everyone for the answers! so i think once a week would be good? :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i just cleaned my brushes over the weekend and when i try to use them this morning it felt so nice and clean on the skin. LOL...

I wash them depending on usage... about every 2 weeks if I'm on top of it... and I thought that was pretty good. With a mild shampoo. The most challenging part is keeping them away from my 2 kitties whilst they are drying... I swear they have levitation powers... they fiend for those brushes!

I usually wash my brushes with brush cleaner every Sunday. I do a deep cleaning (where I was them with moisturizing shampoo and a little bit of antibacterial soap) every two weeks or so.

This reminds me, what's the best brush cleaner for cheap? I know m.a.c. sells brush cleaner for about $9, but I'm not too sure I want to dish out $9 (not including tax) for brush cleaner. It sounds a bit wasteful, especially since I could just wash my brushes with water and shampoo. And I recall a m.a.c. counter lady telling me to clean my brushes with shampoo, then using the m.a.c. brush cleaner to condition them. o_O Do I really need a "conditioning" brush cleaner if I have synthetic makeup brushes?! Gosh. I'm so confused.

^ If your brush is made of synthethic material then you don't need to condition them. To be honest, a makeup artist told me that she uses shampoo to wash her brushes, it works just as good as cleaners. Never put conditioner on though, it might clog the bristles up.

Thanks Noodle!

Whoops, I've actually used a deep conditioner on my precious natural bristle blush brush! It got really pokey and "dry" (like how my hair was after I dyed it). I think my cheapo brush cleaner killed it. It smelled pretty harsh. Now it's got its soft feel back. I guess I won't be using anymore conditioner with it.

Noodle thank you for you advice not to use with conditioner..

becouse I did it.. now I will not.

i use alcohol...but havent washed with actual brush cleaner in so long...just been so lazy..but everytime i use them its with alcohol

I wash my foundation brush every day in the morning right after use with my brush cleaner.

I wash my powder brushes (face, brozer, blush) twice a week with my aura green tea clarifying shampoo. (and conditioner for the ones that are natural.)

I wash my eyeshadow brushes and all the other brushes every two weeks or so unless I use a dark shadow for my favorite ones. Then I clean them on the spot so they can be ready for the next day.

washing often has helped my skin a lot.

oops, I don't wash mine nearly enough! I try to do it once a week but I think the last time I cleaned them was 3 about 3 weeks ago. I use a teeny bit of baby shampoo to wash them. My kabuki brush takes a while to dry too, as it is synthetic. I didn't know until reading this that natural ones dry faster. If I wash them in the morning after applying my makeup they are dry by the next morning.

Usually right after the 40th time I have this thought-- 'Man, I really need to clean my makeup brushes'.

Ideally, though, every 2 weeks w/Bobbi Brown's gel for it.

I wash my flat top foundation brush at least once a week, but my concealer brush every other day or so. Blush about once a week; eyes - um... maybe every 2? I was the concealer brush more than the others because the concealers are higher in zinc so they stick to the brush more, and I use the same brush for concealer and 2 different color correctors, so it gets a lot of use daily with too many different things. I use Parian Spirit to clean my brushes, but don't spray it on like they say. Doesn't seem to clean them as well as putting them in a disposable cup and swishing around. OMG - I couldn't believe how much came out the first time I used it! I generally wash them right after I use them; then they're dry by the time I go to bed.

Did anyone know that Parian Spirit isn't only made by Japonesque? I always thought it was their name for their brush cleaner until I was trying to find it cheaper online the other day. It's actually a whole product on it's own that Japonesque relabels with their name on it!

I hate cleaning new brushes. They're never the same afterward, I don't know if I'm doing it wrong...

Anyways, usually I just spritz them with the Japonesque cleaner. I don't know what to think of this cleaner, because I've never used any other cleaner. But I find that when my brushes dry, the bristles are stiff... and I have to bend them around to get them soft again...

lotusindigo:

Do you rinse out the cleaner from your brushes? I am too cheap to by a cleanser , so I just wash my vrushes in mild shampoo, and I naver had this problem.

Try to rinse after the celanser, or just try them to wash it in mild shampoo or soap.

Originally Posted by lotusindigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif I hate cleaning new brushes. They're never the same afterward, I don't know if I'm doing it wrong...
Anyways, usually I just spritz them with the Japonesque cleaner. I don't know what to think of this cleaner, because I've never used any other cleaner. But I find that when my brushes dry, the bristles are stiff... and I have to bend them around to get them soft again...

I've read a lot of people saying they've noticed that with Japonesque, but I've never had a problem. But like Peachycheeks, I rinse the cleaner out. Skip the spritzing step - I never feel like it gets all the powder out of my brushes, and soak/swirl your brushes in the cleaner instead. Then rinse, wipe through a towel, and let air dry. No stiffness here when doing that!

No, I've never tried rinsing the cleaner out, I'll try that, thanks!

I used to use baby shampoo to wash my BE brushes, but that dried them out. Now that I have better brushes, I don't want to dry them out by doing the same thing.

Latest posts

Back