How I scored almost $200 in cosmetics from Birchbox for almost free!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#1 I have no self control

#2 I have no problem finding stuff that I want to try/buy

But good for you for being able to save up so many points! I bet you are/were very excited to get that package!
icon_cheers.gif

So my order came today in two shipments. (And yet my actual BB sample box hasn't nor has my daughters' boxes.) The first items were the Stila palettes and the Stila lipgloss which came in an unmarked brown box, normally packages arrive in a box with the BB logo on it. No biggie really just I didn't expect it to be in a "plain" box so it was a pleasant surprise to see it was that part of the order. The remaining two items - the POREfessionals and theBalm palette came in a Birchbox Man box so I thought it was the hubby's August box (since I was charged for it last week) and thought "man, that's REALLY fast and I didn't even get a tracking yet" turns out it was the other two items. What's funny is the palettes in the brown box were priority shipped while the items in the BBM box were First Class shipped and BOTH arrived at the same time after being ordered on the 11th while the BB sample boxes were shipped BEFORE or ON the 9th and haven't arrived despite one that was to arrive on the 13th and the rest today. Even my MyGlam bag was suppose to arrive today and didn't.  Glad my items arrived and intact but bummed that my subscription boxes and bags hasn't. Even my replacement from Glossybox has yet to arrive.

Waiiiit...does that mean you scored one of those boxes you dig so much? If so, that's a plus! LOL

You've posted a couple times about how you like the box that the BBMan subs are packaged in; I was just sayin' "SCORE" if you got one of those as your packaging (although on a re-read, I realize you prolly just meant the outer box is BBMan, not the inner box)

Ahh, no I WISH it did. LOL I LOVE those BBM boxes which BB should make for women.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just placed an order with Birchbox for close to $200 but only paid $5.20. Want to know how I did it? Well read on.

I've been a member of Birchbox from May 24, 2011 to May 24, 2012 as a monthly member and after May 24, 2012 I became a yearly subscriber and paid $110. I paid $10 each month my first year and in each box I received between four to seven products to review and each review - left via their Feedback button - netted me 10 points. Each referral made (no referral link here since it's against MUT ToS) also earned me 50 points (so big thank you to those who used my referral link). When I upgraded my account I earned another and earned 200 points by upgrading with my anniversary code. It all adds up. If you're patient - like I was and it's so hard to be - you can save those points for a big purchase as I did. The last time I used any of my points was in November or December where I bought like $80 in products for under $6. So earning that 1,500 points did take me several months and when I did finally use it it was only because I received - right on time - another anniversary code, this time for my husband's Birchbox Man subscription which is tied to my account. That anniversary code earned me 20% off my purchase!

So here's what I bought.

Product Name SKU Price Qty Subtotal Subtotal $194.00
Shipping & Handling $0.00
Discount (3-Month Anniversary Discount - 20%, 3monthman) -$38.80
1500 reward points -$150.00
Grand Total
$5.20
stila It’s Go Time Lip Glaze Trio STILACARTON-FZ $12.00
Ordered: 1
$12.00
Benefit The POREfessional IB184 $29.00
$29.00
stila in the moment eyeshadow palette 94800340954 $39.00
$39.00
stila in the light eyeshadow palette 94800339026 $39.00
$39.00
stila in the garden eyeshadow palette 94800339873 $39.00
$39.00
theBalm® cosmetics NUDE 'tude™ Nude Eyeshadow Palette 681619501401 $36.00
$36.00

So how did I do it?

1. Review the items in my boxes.
  2. Referring people with my referral link.
  3. Upgraded my account on my one-year-anniversary.
  4. Saved those points.
  5. Used a discount promo code.

Remember those points will not expire for 365 day - so you do have to watch those points near the end of it's "life" but if you're patient and wait to use the points until you have a good promo code then you can earn potentially FREE products like I did. This is the third order I've made with products that were free or nearly free.

July 2012  
AHAVA Purifying Mud Mask
Tea Forté® minteas - 3 pack -- I did review this without getting my box since I've received these from Eco-Emi in the past.
Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner
Alterna BAMBOO® UV+ Color Protection Fade-Proof Fluide
Harvey Prince Hello - 50 ml -- I did review this since I have a sample from Sephora already.
Birchbox Exclusive Earbuds

June 2012  
Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse Beauty Balm SPF 25+
Joya Âmes Sœurs Parfum - A Scent of Soulmates
theBalm® cosmetics Stainiac
BAND-AID® Brand Adhesive Bandages by Cynthia Rowley Bundle
KELLY VAN GOGH® Colour Protecting Caviar Shampoo
KELLY VAN GOGH® Colour Protecting Caviar Conditioner
Melvita Floral Water

May 2012
fresh Sugar Rosé Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15 
BVLGARI Omnia Crystalline Eau de Toilette Spray 1.33 oz
Kiehl's Abyssine Cream +
Miracle Skin Transformerâ„¢ Body SPF 20
Birchbox Notecards

April 2012
willaâ„¢ Lavender Facial Towelettes
Zoya TRUE Spring Collection
Wonderstruck Taylor Swift 3.4 oz
J.R. Watkins Hand & Cuticle Salve
Dropps Laundry Detergent

March 2012
stila smoky eye shadow
boscia Green Tea Blotting Linens
Kusmi Tea Paris - I Love My Detox Tea
Color Club® Neon Nail Polish
Grandma Stelle's Hand Wash
Traditions by Nick Chavez Yucca Shampooing Cream

February 2012
Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint
Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum
Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant®
Eye Rock Designer Liner

January 2012
Clark's Botanicals Smoothing Marine Cream
Juicy Couture - Juicy Couture - 3.4 oz
stila smudge stick waterproof eye liner
Archipelago Pomegranate Body Soap
LÄRABAR® Mini Bars

December 2011
Jouer Moisturizing Lip Gloss
Harvey Prince Ageless - Pink Grapefruit - 100ml
Orofluido Elixir
Showstoppers® Designer Fashion Tape in Nude/Black
Benefit The POREfessional
EBOOST Orange Natural Energy Booster

November 2011
LaROCCA Champagne and Shimmer Supreme Creme
Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensée Cologne Absolue
Two Paperdolls Coasters
BORGHESE Fango Active Mud Face & Body - 17.6 oz
Zoya Gems & Jewels Collection

October 2011
Pangea Organics Facial Scrub
blinc Mascara
Ouidad Climate Control® Heat & Humidity Gel
The Lash Card
AHAVA Mineral Foot Cream

September 2011
colorescience pro® sunforgettable® Mineral Sun Protection Po...
Incoco® Nail Polish Appliqué
Jouer Lip Enhancer
Jurlique Purely Age-Defying Firm and Lift Cream
Salvatore Ferragamo Attimo L'Eau Florale

August 2011
WEIâ„¢ Tibetan Chrysanthemum correcting eye treatment pads
blinc Eyeliner in Black
Carol's Daughter® Monoi Repairing Hair Mask
Pangea Organics Cleanser for Oily to Combination Skin
Twistband Hair Tie 6-pack

July 2011
AHAVA Mineral Hand Cream
Redken shine flash 02 glistening mist
philosophy® purity made simple™ one-step facial cleanser -...
Zoya Touch Collection

June 2011
Herban Essentials Towelettes
Xen-Tan Deep Bronze Luxe
kate spade new york Twirl - 3.4 fl oz
Kiehl's Ultra Facial Oil-Free Lotion
Laura Geller Baked Blush-n-Brighten
Dont' you love that?  That happened to me my last order also!! Christmas in Sept.!!

Originally Posted by Deenellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont' you love that?  That happened to me my last order also!! Christmas in Sept.!!
So what did you buy?

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So what did you buy?
 I bought Sabon Lavender Apple body gel, Japonesque slant tweezers and Sabon Lemon-basil shower gel.  When all was said and done, after using my points, shipping was free, I paid $1.44 and got 35 points with my order.  Needless to say, I was thrilled!

Originally Posted by Deenellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bought Sabon Lavender Apple body gel, Japonesque slant tweezers and Sabon Lemon-basil shower gel.  When all was said and done, after using my points, shipping was free, I paid $1.44 and got 35 points with my order.  Needless to say, I was thrilled!
And an additional 35 bonus points due to the 2nd year anniversary.  Sill have points left over!

Back