Why Do Ladies Spend So Much $$ On Their Hair But Skimp On Face Care?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif The real question is:
Why do women so often spend so much money to keep their face looking young, when their neck tells a different story?

That's so true and I am guilty myself of not paying enough attention to my neck.

I spend way more on my face than my hair. Although I used to get $300 cuts and highlights at adolf beiker... but not anymore. I realized it was a waste. My skincare products range from mario badescu, dr. brandt, borba, and md formulations. I NEVER skimp on skincare products.

Manders is right though... I should do more for my body as a whole. I don't moisturize my body on a regular basis.

i spend maybe 5 bucks a month on my hair so i can buy conditioner and shampoo, LOL... why? because i really have very good hair natuarlly

i spend probably 150 dollars every 6 weeks on skincare products (which are HG for my otherwise horrible skin and therefore worth it) because i have really bad skin.

i guess women that do the opposite of me have opposite skin and hair conditions from me too.

Well lol I practically do nothing with my hair, I even feel guilty of spending $100 bucks on it for retouching, highlights and cut but I don't feel guilty about buying a $100 worth of skincare....

The news are this... expensive skincare is mostly the same as inexpensive skincare, what they differ in is texture and smell. Most have the same ingredients or others that look different but do the same thing. I'm doing an investigation right now about face creams with my Organic Chemistry professor most of the stuff that's advertised doesn't do what you think it does. For example Vitamin E on a face cream does nothing for your face, yes it's an antioxidant, but it prevents the cream from oxidizing not your face, that's why it's added. The famous ceramides from Elizabeth Arden are only water-binding agents, they attract moisture to the skin, but so does glycerin, etc etc.

In fact I hate to say it as I do it too, but we are paying for a name, a texture and a smell. I even have an eye cream with collagen! Collagen is too big to penetrate the skin, topically applied it does nothing, even if you ingested it it would do nothing as it would get degraded and used for something else. And even if it could penetrate the skin, the skin cells wouldn't know what to do with it.

So, sadly about the only thing we can do to for our skin is eat healthy, moisturize moisturize and moisturize some more and, if your skin tolerates it, apply a load of any emollient product on your skin so that it creates a barrier that stops the water from escaping, surprisingly enough Vaseline is such a product.

Btw, it's funny we still keep using the word "chemical" to speak about bad ingredients or unnatural ingredients. That's more of a media trick to make products look natural and healthy. "Chemical free" can be read on some labels, my professor was laughing at one of them and told me: "What's in there then? A void?" Everything is a chemical, water is a chemical, natural compounds are chemicals too, so just the fact of the day hahaha.

With that said I still love my Lancome skin care hahaha feels to good to change it even if it's expensive for me and does nothing haha.

Whoa! Long post! Haha

Well if that is true why do cheap products hurt my face but more reputable ,& organic stuff works wonders for me?

meaning give me rashes,break out red sore patches

Originally Posted by Sheikah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well lol I practically do nothing with my hair, I even feel guilty of spending $100 bucks on it for retouching, highlights and cut but I don't feel guilty about buying a $100 worth of skincare....
The news are this... expensive skincare is mostly the same as inexpensive skincare, what they differ in is texture and smell. Most have the same ingredients or others that look different but do the same thing. I'm doing an investigation right now about face creams with my Organic Chemistry professor most of the stuff that's advertised doesn't do what you think it does. For example Vitamin E on a face cream does nothing for your face, yes it's an antioxidant, but it prevents the cream from oxidizing not your face, that's why it's added. The famous ceramides from Elizabeth Arden are only water-binding agents, they attract moisture to the skin, but so does glycerin, etc etc.

In fact I hate to say it as I do it too, but we are paying for a name, a texture and a smell. I even have an eye cream with collagen! Collagen is too big to penetrate the skin, topically applied it does nothing, even if you ingested it it would do nothing as it would get degraded and used for something else. And even if it could penetrate the skin, the skin cells wouldn't know what to do with it.

So, sadly about the only thing we can do to for our skin is eat healthy, moisturize moisturize and moisturize some more and, if your skin tolerates it, apply a load of any emollient product on your skin so that it creates a barrier that stops the water from escaping, surprisingly enough Vaseline is such a product.

Btw, it's funny we still keep using the word "chemical" to speak about bad ingredients or unnatural ingredients. That's more of a media trick to make products look natural and healthy. "Chemical free" can be read on some labels, my professor was laughing at one of them and told me: "What's in there then? A void?" Everything is a chemical, water is a chemical, natural compounds are chemicals too, so just the fact of the day hahaha.

With that said I still love my Lancome skin care hahaha feels to good to change it even if it's expensive for me and does nothing haha.

Whoa! Long post! Haha

Ok I correct myself, it's not that they are the same, as expensive creams have more expensive ingredients that may feel better on your skin or work better for you. But what I mean is that this ingredients are really only about moisturizing. All this anti-aging, anti-wrinkle, reversing time stuff is not really true. But yeah I mean they feel better and smell better and may be composed of other ingredients that don't affect you but that in the end to the same as more cheaper things. Reactions also can happen with anything as I react to oat which is natural, of course we choose what works better for us. I started recently to use emu oil around my eyes at night because my Lancome creams were not moisturizing enough and it's working wonders.

Summary is that the outrageous claims of making wrinkles disappear are false and they're just moisturizing creams. The ingredients may be more or less expensive and react or not with our skin, that depends on the person, but in the end they all just moisturize.

I pay more for my face because hello, it's my face - not like my hair- which you can eff up but it'll grow back out new.

Anyway, I agree with some products work for others but not for all.

If that were true, then everyone would be bumming one particular brand or whatever.

As for organic, well - great that it works for you but remember some people get allergic to almost anything so saying one way is better than another isn't entirely true.

I like my cheaper-costing face products because they work for me. It only cost more because I buy in bundles. Haha. And it ain't crap to keep it young, it's just keeping it clean and stuff...

Organic is better then chemicals .. obviously

But some are allergic to Organic just like I am allergic to cheap wash

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif I pay more for my face because hello, it's my face - not like my hair- which you can eff up but it'll grow back out new.
Anyway, I agree with some products work for others but not for all.

If that were true, then everyone would be bumming one particular brand or whatever.

As for organic, well - great that it works for you but remember some people get allergic to almost anything so saying one way is better than another isn't entirely true.

I like my cheaper-costing face products because they work for me. It only cost more because I buy in bundles. Haha. And it ain't crap to keep it young, it's just keeping it clean and stuff...

ooh.. i can easily spend 250 $ on skincare a month without feeling (so) guilty. while when i am going to buy a moisturizer/scrub ect for the body i end up buying the good stuff, but feeling guilty about spending 55 dollars on a bodyscrub. whats silly when thinking of i think its totally okay to spend the double for a product for the face. and its the same thing with my hair, but i am getting so much better! im using the kerastase line for my hair now.. so i guess im doing okay
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Battygurl /img/forum/go_quote.gif A couple of thread here had me thinking about this.. I mean this is our faces! the most important part of our bodies I think so anyhowCan anyone answer this? I know its all preference .. I just don't understand it

'
excellent questions! i've even asked the same thing about makeup! why spend on that money on makeup when your skin is in such bad shape? i wish i had an answer to that one!

of all of the items of spend on, i think i spend the most on skincare for face, then body. next is makeup and then hair. i think it just because i need fewer products for my hair.

I spend a lot more on skin care. I spend very little on my hair which still looks pretty darn good.

Now thats a good question ...

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif '
excellent questions! i've even asked the same thing about makeup! why spend on that money on makeup when your skin is in such bad shape? i wish i had an answer to that one!

I probably spend three to four times as much on skincare than makeup. That's because I use more products for my face though. Different moisturizers and cleansers and toners depending on either morning or night just add up and I only have a few things for my hair like a heat protectant, spray gel and shine spray plus conditioner and shampoo.

I spend more on my hair because I'm paying my hairstylist to do everything for me. I used to do my own hair, but I got tired of it and started making enough money that I could afford to pay someone else. I spend a lot of time and energy on skin care, but I do it all myself, so I'm not paying for someone elses "labor" costs.

Gurl, you are so right. I am debating a facial but I know, Im getting my hair done and spare no expense. All in all I am getting both, but your so right people's face look so young an their necks and hands look sooooo old. Yuck.

Hehe yes get both if you can then your be glad u did what kinda facial are u getting?

Originally Posted by APPLE305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Gurl, you are so right. I am debating a facial but I know, Im getting my hair done and spare no expense. All in all I am getting both, but your so right people's face look so young an their necks and hands look sooooo old. Yuck.

Latest posts

Back