The Soap Box

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by MissMonica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was really excited to use the $10 code, until I realized that the cheapest shipping cost was $8.25.  Considering that's about the price of a full size product, really, the gift code is only about $1.75.  Kinda disappointing...I wish they'd use a different shipping service. 
Thanks for telling me, now I wont bother using it!

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for telling me, now I wont bother using it!
Normally I feel the same way, I HATE paying for shipping, but when it's from a small company, I can deal with it. Shipping is expensive.

Originally Posted by BrittneyMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm pretty sure their shipping is based on the weight of whatever you're ordering
I only ordered a single bath item, so if it is based on weight, I guess most other orders would have shipping costs of more than $8.

I agree that I usually am willing to pay more for shipping with smaller companies, but $8 shipping on a $12 item is just a bit illogical for me.  Their items are fantastic, but I'm not sure they are worth a shipping cost of 2/3's the item price :).  It may work out better for people purchasing more than one item, though. 

THe $10 off turns out to be free shipping, the products smell really good and I love them for that, although I would rather have a couple full sized items then all of the trial size for the $20. My 11 year old looks at all of my boxes and thinks this one is by far the best. I guess it goes by preference. It was worth a try and for those who hoard bath items this is a good one for you, the stuff smells really good...oh I said that already...enjoy!

This may be a bit of a spoiler for those of you who have not received a box yet!
I got my first box in the mail recently. Although I really wanted to love it, I just can't. I loved the idea behind the service, and that it might be similar to Lush (which I am obsessed with). I have to say though, I just wasn't impressed and will not be reordering in the future. It was just not for me.

PROS

-Sample size was enough to get multiple uses out of just about every single product. There were also quite a few samples in the box.

-Shipped and arrived within a reasonable amount of time

-Prompt/ good customer service 

-Variety (I feel like the box gives you a good variety of products to try out to see if you like their line).

-Creative concept for a subscription service. I love bath/body type products, and thought what their company was trying to do was pretty neat.

-Although the box wasn't for me (I honestly only liked one product and it was the dry shampoo), at least I was able to sample products from FCS and see what I thought about them before placing an order. 

CONS

- The scent! I disliked the scent to almost every single product; I was pretty disappointed! They had a strange, almost artificial, sickeningly sweet scent to many of them. I'm the type of person who adores sweet, fruity scents (for those of you familiar with Lush: SnowFairy, MMM, Snow Cake, The Godmother, The Comforter,Rock Star- sweet scents like that are some of my favs! So, if I think something is sickeningly sweet and artificial, it is! I just couldn't get over the fragrances with some of the FCS products. I'm not sure why, but they just didn't agree with my nose.)

-Packaging is poorly done. (One product arrived leaky/melted), the soap wasn't wrapped at all and was just tossed into the box, and several containers were dinged. Taking the price I paid for the box into consideration- the packaging/labels seemed kind of cheap and flimsy. The containers the hand sanitizer and the body wash came in were very difficult to use as well.

-The FCS soap that I received (I think it was in "sand dollar") was very waxy and had a bizarre texture. Wasn't a fan of the smell either, it was supposed to smell like peaches, but it just smelled fake.

-You pay S&H with this box; it is not included with the price. (I understand they're a smaller business, so I get why. I honestly just feel though that the price for what I paid and what I received, wasn't worth it for me.)

-I didn't like the idea of a company sending me a fake tattoo to wear. (They were asking people to send in their best picture with the company's fake tattoo on, to submit for a chance to win something). I still thought it was a bit tacky for a marketing scheme.

I really wanted to like this box; I think the concept behind it is great! This service and the products were just not for me. At least I gave it a try though, and now I know. I am going to stick with LUSH!

I wasn't impressed and quite disappointed as well. I also didn't particularly care for the scents and prefer the etsy type bath and body products over this.

Originally Posted by makeupgooroo8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

has anyone gotten anything from them since June? i thought it was every three months?
I got the fall soap box last month

Originally Posted by zorabell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got the fall soap box last month
Same here, but there were apparently some issues pulling the subscriber information from PayPal, and at least a few people didn't get theirs until they reached out to FCS to see what was going on.

I received this from paypal last night:

Fortune Cookie Soap canceled your automatic payments. This means we'll no longer automatically draw money from your account to pay the merchant. If you have any questions, you may ask Fortune Cookie Soap about this cancellation.

I received the PayPal notice and had to go digging on Facebook to find out what was going on.  They didn't have anything up on their site when they  started shutting down the PayPal stuff.  I'm not sure I'm going to bother signing back up.  And I notice that they have a Halloween Soap Box listed on their page about the program.  Um, no, they didn't have a Halloween box.  I had specifically been hoping they would.  That would have been awesome.  Instead, it was just a generically fall box.  It's always disappointing to me when companies skip Halloween.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I received the PayPal notice and had to go digging on Facebook to find out what was going on.  They didn't have anything up on their site when they  started shutting down the PayPal stuff.  I'm not sure I'm going to bother signing back up.  And I notice that they have a Halloween Soap Box listed on their page about the program.  Um, no, they didn't have a Halloween box.  I had specifically been hoping they would.  That would have been awesome.  Instead, it was just a generically fall box.  It's always disappointing to me when companies skip Halloween.
I am not signing back up.  I just checked my bathroom and I haven't used anything from the fall box yet!

They did announce that there was going to be a Halloween box but that it you had to sign up for it separately. So even though I was signed up for the normal subscription if I wanted a Halloween box I needed to opt in.

Originally Posted by zorabell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They did announce that there was going to be a Halloween box but that it you had to sign up for it separately. So even though I was signed up for the normal subscription if I wanted a Halloween box I needed to opt in.
Where was that announcement?  I have a funny feeling that it was only on Facebook, and I expect things like that to be sent to subscribers via email because I rarely go on Facebook unless something goes wrong with one of my subscriptions, like when Loose Button got delayed or when Julep's monthly email didn't come out as expected yesterday.  I don't go digging for this stuff.  If a company wants my business, it should let me know it has an offering for me to buy.  I shouldn't have to go check and see if they happen to have something new.  There's just something about that approach that rubs me the wrong way.

Where was that announcement?  I have a funny feeling that it was only on Facebook, and I expect things like that to be sent to subscribers via email because I rarely go on Facebook unless something goes wrong with one of my subscriptions, like when Loose Button got delayed or when Julep's monthly email didn't come out as expected yesterday.  I don't go digging for this stuff.  If a company wants my business, it should let me know it has an offering for me to buy.  I shouldn't have to go check and see if they happen to have something new.  There's just something about that approach that rubs me the wrong way.
Yeah, most of their announcements are via social media :/

I wondered about that too.  I would have ordered if it was sent through email and I actually saw it.  Who has time to sit on facebook all day long?  I miss about 90% of everything that is posted because I am only on facebook at night after my day is done.  

Originally Posted by VegasLover75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wondered about that too.  I would have ordered if it was sent through email and I actually saw it.  Who has time to sit on facebook all day long?  I miss about 90% of everything that is posted because I am only on facebook at night after my day is done.  
Oh, I can tell you exactly who has time to sit on Facebook all day:  My retired aunt.  Which is why I'm rarely on there:  She comments on just about *every single thing* I do on Facebook (mainly Twitter updates and Instagram photos nowadays, although if I "like" something on there, she comments on that, too), either on Facebook or to my actual face.  I don't need that.  If it wasn't for all of my actual friends who I haven't seen since I moved away from that city four years ago, I would just shut down my account, but there have been too many email address changes for me to do that.

I got an email about it on Sept. 29th

Latest posts

Back