Total Beauty Collection - New Sub program ?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So happy I didnt jump on this one, however, it is still better than the Beauty Box 5 first box I got.

Originally Posted by amygab1126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a "Top 100" "Trusted Reviewer" on Total Beauty, and I'm sent full-sized products to review a few times a year. This box is almost an insult to me, considering the source. They send me better, bigger products for no money all year long. Why did I pay for this?!
Well, since you're receiving promo items, you may not be the target market. I think that part of the reason samplers have taken off in such a big way is because so many of the beauty junkies out there want to be able to try stuff in the quantities of those people who have relationships with the brands/PR companies. I mean, not being a brat here, but when you read a ton of beauty blogs and see all the fun stuff that other people are getting because they're promoting it, it can start an "I want" mentality, so for those folks who are looking to expand their horizons, samplers can be a huge blessing, presuming that it's a DECENT sampler. I think, maybe, that's part of why so many of the people who are more "casual" makeup fans than the average MUT user get so frustrated when they do get a sampler that isn't crammed with full-size products....beauty closet lust! LOL

Excuse me, MaryTB? 4 - 6 samples? A gift card is not a sample! I haven't even received mine yet and if this is what I paid $15 for I'm going to be very upset! When you state 4 - 6 products that's what I expect. I can't rub a coupon on my face and expect it to take off wrinkles.

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif I can't rub a coupon on my face and expect it to take off wrinkles.
But if it's not on glossy stock, it might work for an exfoliant! 
icon_twisted.gif

Originally Posted by Fluttershy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just found out what products are in the box...I'm not that impressed.

http://thebeautyalchemist.blogspot.com/2012/04/total-beauty-collection-beauty-box.html

Pevonia $ 15 GC

Alterna Bamboo Luminous Shine Mist

June Jacobs Green Tea & Cucumber Body Balm

Blinc Mascara

(I also found another blog that got sent a box, and these were the same products in that person's box as well)

No one has stated whether or not the $15 gift card is actually a gift card or a $15 off $50.

I will not be purchasing as I don't think this is worth $15 even with the gift card to pevonia (which is a skincare site).

Another thing that gets my feathers kind of ruffled is that when you go to purchase the box, they show a box with 6 nicely sized products in it which you are to assume you are getting since it's the focal point of the picture...while on the side they have 3 sad looking products and the gift card (which you cannot even tell what the products are) and those are suppose to be what's in the box.  Can you say m-i-s-l-e-a-d-i-n-g.  I do not support companies who mislead their customers.
The Blinc mascara came in a Birchbox already for $10. The other two items... I'm sorry but it's not worth $15 for three samples and a gift card that may or may not be a true gift card but rather is a promo code.

Personally, I HATE when any sub or sampler puts too much "stock" in codes/gift cards, as we've touched on here many times before. I didn't have an issue with the BB Teen Vogue boxes including the flyer with the Modcloth code because it WAS NOT touted as "one of your samples". If a place DID put in an honest-to-Lemmy gift card (even a $5 to Sephora, because that CAN be used on SOMETHING without expenditure), I'd be a lot more forgiving, but the ones I've seen so far have all either been "$x off of $x" or the only items that are below the amount of the gift card are excluded from the gift card. Thus...doesn't count in my book!

I got mine today, not too thrilled ( It is the same as the promo box for bloggers) but the Pevonia card is a gift card $15 off no minimum purchase at least 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do they sell any products that are under $15? Just curious.
Yes, they have soaps and candles that are $5.90 each and they have a few products that are under $20 so only a few bucks out of pocket

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. Then it isn't a total gyp!
Depends on how you view it. Some of the items on their website is very expensive so it kind of reminds me of the NuMe "gift card" from MyGlam. The only thing that's positive about their website is they offer free shipping.

Thus why I said "TOTAL" gyp--at least there are SOME things that can be gotten with no fee, that's all.

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse me, MaryTB? 4 - 6 samples? A gift card is not a sample! I haven't even received mine yet and if this is what I paid $15 for I'm going to be very upset! When you state 4 - 6 products that's what I expect. I can't rub a coupon on my face and expect it to take off wrinkles.
I don't know exactly what it is about you, Bflopolska, but I always look forward to your posts.  You're very well spoken and witty.  The idea of rubbing a coupon on my face to remove wrinkles made me smile.  Oh, no, maybe we've given some company a crazy idea, who knows, I've seen things almost as weird!  Like those Frownies that you're supposed to wear to bed to avoid wrinkles?  Jeez, talk about looking as unattractive as possible when going to bed, who wants to snuggle up with THAT?  Yikes.

Love your exfoliant idea, Calexxia, you little devil's advocate making lemonade out of lemons, tongue firmly in cheek.  Agree with the beauty closet lust, too.  I'm with you too on the hatred for "coupons" being touted as one of the 4-6 samples that we should be getting in various brands.  I don't mind a discreetly included one that isn't intended to be one of the major perks of the box, but puleeze, a coupon is NOT a gift card and I think (hope?) that the disgruntled ladies/subscribers have made this quite clear to the higher ups.  

I'd love to know how to be one of the top 100 testers!  I'd think it would take quite a bit of time and thought as well as a well written blog, am I right?  I do appreciate the ladies who test, because their honest opinions definitely hold sway when I'm deciding which products to buy.  So thanks for that, amygab1126!

I wonder what their next box will be like?  I can't imagine that many people were thrilled with this first offering so hopefully they'll up their game.  It'll be interesting to see.

I got my box today and was also a bit disappointed about the $15 Pevonia card as well.  I was hoping we would receive a different box than they ones some ladies had already received.

As I said before, Total Beauty has totally missed the point of why we buy these sample boxes in the first place, which is to try items and brands that we wouldn't try otherwise (at least it is why I buy them!).  Ok, ok I realize that if I use this gift card to Pevonia I will be trying a brand I would have never even known about BUT must likely I will only buy a candle or soap and then nothing else IF I use this certificate at all.  I am not going to take a gamble to buy their other interesting sounding products, like the Youthful Lip Retinol Serum at $46 ($31 with gift cert) when there are so many other products out there that I can try for free. I am just downright tired of wasting money for products that sound good that turn out to be worthless.

Now if they had sent me a small sample of that lip serum and I liked it...well then, then they would have a happy, satisfied customer ready to buy the full price, full size product.  And then since I was so happy with one product I might try another, and then another.  That is what happened for me with the samples I got of Ole Henriksen and Kate Somerville.  I now have a drawer filled of their products even though some are quite expensive because I've used their products and know they work for my skin.  Never would have tried them, EVER, without a sample though.

On the other hand, I saw that the Blinc mascara is $26...which would have paid for this box and then some.  So I will probably give them another month.  But if they say 4-6 products I EXPECT 4-6 products so I already have my doubts as far as this company doing what they say they will.  One more month guys...I think I speak for a lot of people when I say they have one more chance and that is it.  I think plenty will just quit after this box though.

Originally Posted by sweetiegirlll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Love your exfoliant idea, Calexxia, you little devil's advocate making lemonade out of lemons, tongue firmly in cheek.  Agree with the beauty closet lust, too.  I'm with you too on the hatred for "coupons" being touted as one of the 4-6 samples that we should be getting in various brands.  I don't mind a discreetly included one that isn't intended to be one of the major perks of the box, but puleeze, a coupon is NOT a gift card and I think (hope?) that the disgruntled ladies/subscribers have made this quite clear to the higher ups.  
Glad that you get a kick out of my sense of humor...some folks don't :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I try to temper my natural smart-a$$ery with genuine reflections and thoughts on stuff, so that I"m not being TOO much of a jerk on here :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't think this is monthly, is it? It's just a "special collection" that will be available occasionally, as opposed to a monthly box, right?

Originally Posted by LyndaV /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my box today and was also a bit disappointed about the $15 Pevonia card as well.  I was hoping we would receive a different box than they ones some ladies had already received.

On the other hand, I saw that the Blinc mascara is $26...which would have paid for this box and then some.  So I will probably give them another month.  But if they say 4-6 products I EXPECT 4-6 products so I already have my doubts as far as this company doing what they say they will.  One more month guys...I think I speak for a lot of people when I say they have one more chance and that is it.  I think plenty will just quit after this box though.

I don't have a blog, actually. It was just time spent reviewing hundreds of items, and writing the reviews well enough that a lot of people rated them as "helpful". The product testing thing isn't like what the beauty bloggers get, though. It's, like, 5 items a year. Still, it's an awesome surprise when it happens!

I emailed that I wanted to cancel my order for this, and they followed through very quickly. Hope the next one will be better!

Originally Posted by sweetiegirlll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd love to know how to be one of the top 100 testers!  I'd think it would take quite a bit of time and thought as well as a well written blog, am I right?  I do appreciate the ladies who test, because their honest opinions definitely hold sway when I'm deciding which products to buy.  So thanks for that, amygab1126!

Latest posts

Back