My initial review of Philosophy Makeup optional Kit $78

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a little peeved at Philosophy, within a week or two after ordering Philosophy Makeup Optional Kit for $78, Philosophy/Sephora released a bigger and better kit for just 7 dollars more. Whateveeeever

I got my Philosphy kit on Monday and first used it that night. So this kit comes with a cleanser, a serum, a moisturizer, eye and lip firming cream, and 3 samples of the microdelivery peel. It's Friday, so I have used the kit 4 times now and I already notice a difference. My skin is softer, smoother, and my hyperpigmentation marks are getting lighter. I am not sure about the skin under my eyes but I will get into that later. The products stink smell-wise!! Almost intolerable. I used to think that the fading creams I had used were bad (they smell like Nair), but the Philosophy kit is the king of bad smelling products!! I don't mind it too much because I am single, but for others this could be a big problem. Anyway, I will provide a short description for each of the products and the original value for each. This is my initial review, I will probably provide a review after couple of weeks of usage.

Purity Made Simple 8 oz. cleanser ($20):

This is the first step. The direction is to apply some to your dry or slightly damp face and massage for 30 - 60 seconds, and rinse. This is a really good cleanser, it doesn't dry out the skin and it does clean well. Cetaphil cleanser doesn't hold a candle to this and Cetaphil is a popular, much loved cleaner. Purity cleanser cleaned off my tinted moisturizer very well. However, don't think this can replace your eye makeup remover. Based on reviews I had read, I thought I could throw out my eye makeup remover but I was mistaken. However, I understand that I can't have my cake and eat it too (whatever the hell that means). There is no such thing as a cleanser that can cut through eyeliner and not dry the skin out. So overall, its cleaning power is effective. It has a decent smell especially compared to the other products in the kit. You can use this kit at morning or night but I think it is more beneficial at night since you will have the products working their magic undisturbed for hours. Plus your face can get dirty throughout the day so it it is best to wash your face at night then wait to the morning.

When Hope is not Enough facial firming and lifting serum 1 fl. oz ($38):

I can't say much about this product at this point. It is supposed to firm the skin that I guess it works if your skin is sagging or starting to sag. But as I am still 22 I may not see a big difference. I use it anyway because it came with the kit and it is a bonus for the eye area. So the directions is to place 5 to 6 drops on your skin after you have used the cleanser. It doesn't say whether the skin has to be dry or not, but I used common sense and placed it on when my skin was dried. The scent is awful - smells like a combo of soy sauce and a forest scents. But I really can't describe the smell, it is just something I have never smelled before. It does contain soy so that is why it has the hint of soy sauce. It is actually not the worse smelling product in the kit.

Hope in a Jar moisturizer 2 oz. ($38):

The foulest smelling cream ever!! But it works beautifully. It is not greasy, someone described it that way. That person is probably used to oil-free drying moisturizers and not to the good stuff like this. I like that this cream just melts into the skin. It leaves the skin so soft and glowing but not oily and shiny. It has not taken care of my flaking issue, but I think it is too soon to judge. You can use this cream 1 -2 times a day and apply it on top of the serum. They say to avoid the eye area. Overall, I like this product and I can't wait to see how it will change my skin after a couple of weeks. I like that it has lactic acid, which is a potent emollient. I think there is very few face creams with this underrated ingredient. I think you can use this cream on any rough spot, I myself am placing this on my eczema and elbows. I think the moisturizer is one of the best I have used but the smell is just not bearable - sour, woodsy, really hard to describe - worse than the serum.

Hope in a tube eye and lip firming cream 0.5 oz ($33):

I am not sure how I feel about this. At first, I noticed a dramatic difference in the texture and color of my eye area. The eye area that I put through so much trauma was beginning to smooth. But now, I feel that the little wrinkles are are still there but now are extending over to the top of my cheeks which where the eye cream usually hits. Perhaps it is the way I apply it? The directions for this is too massage the cream into the skin in a circular motion (not dab). Maybe I am too rough? I guess I am going to just place a lot of cream so to create lubrication between the finger and skin and once it is at least half absorbed, I will start dabbing. This would probably lead to less tugging. I wished the consistency was like that of the moisturizer. I need to give this a week or 2 before I can make a really sound judgment. It is recommended that you wear this in the morning and in the night. The cream is a bit greasy and shiny and I would not recommended wearing it in the sun unless you have sunscreen on. Like lip gloss, this may act like a magnifying glass. But yeah I don't think you will want to wear this in public unless it is well absorbed. How it affects the lips, I can't tell. I don't have wrinkles there. This could be of benefit for older women and ex-smokers (present smokers would have to quit before using this of course).The scent reminds me of foundation, subtle and not bad.

The Microdelivery peel 3 sample sizes (value: ?):

Updated on 10/18/08:

I used my first sample of this peel on Friday night, and I had enough to share with my mother. The direction is to place a teaspoon of the resurfacing crystals (step 1) on a clean dry face avoiding the eye area (I used Purity to clean my face first) and to massage (not scrub) for 60 seconds. This feels like your average face exfoliator scrub but it contains vitamin c and peptide, ingredients not found in your average face scrub. So I massaged the crystals on my face and I tried hard not to scrub, but you can't help it because the texture is so grainy. So I placed slight pressure and avoided roughing up my skin. The next step is to place the activator gel on top of the scrub. This activator gel contains the beta hydroxy acid salicylic acid, a ingredient common in acne creams and cleansers. It also contains lactic acid which is an alpha hydroxy acid. Both ingredients are effective in making skin more smoother and even-toned.

You rub the clear gel with your fingertips and you place it on top of the scrub. It turns the scrub into a foam instantly and you feel a warming but not a burning sensation. You leave that on for 2 - 3 minutes. Rinse thoroughly. While I was rinsing this off, I felt my skin was the most smoothest I have ever felt it. After patting my face dry, I could see that my face was more even-toned, the texture of my skin was smoother, and my face looked bright. My mother who is 40 and never used any of the Philosophy products saw a major difference as well. Her skin was also more even toned and smoother and we both had this clean and fresh feeling. So the results are instant and it is definitely not a uncomfortable process that you might think a peel might be. I have used masks and exfoliators with acids and they usually irritate my face so it was nice to get the benefits of acids without the skin irritation.

You follow up the peel with the daily routine but I skipped the Purity and went on to the serum. This peel is not meant to be used daily, just once or twice a week. The other kit has full sized bottles of this peel and I would have purchased that kit had I waited a few days. <.<

So there you ago! My initial reaction! After 3 weeks, I will give another update.

Also, I wanted to mention that the reasons I got this was because the reviews for this was mostly positive, and a 4.7 out of 5 rating at sephora.com. What appealed to me is that it promises that makeup will become optional. I don't like coverage makeup so anything that will make my skin good enough to be bear is worth a try! Also, I want to mention that I am 22 and I have normal skin but sometimes I deal with flakiness and dryness on my cheeks and between the brows and sometimes breakouts in the t-zone. Also, I have olive skin with hyper pigmentation around the eyes and blemishes. So take into consideration your own skin type, you might not get the same results.

Another note, if you were to buy each product separately it would all amount to $129. So I saved $51 and got samples of the peel. Good deal.
top.gif

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks for the review and dont forget to post this in the review center as well!! Once my review is finalized, I will be sure to post it in the review center.
smile.gif

thanks! I loooooove my Purity Made Simple and starting to panick b/c I am running out!!! lol

I watched Philosophy on HSN the other night and am so tempted to try the Microdelivery peel, it doesn't look hard to use at all.

Originally Posted by Panda816 /img/forum/go_quote.gif thanks! I loooooove my Purity Made Simple and starting to panick b/c I am running out!!! lolI watched Philosophy on HSN the other night and am so tempted to try the Microdelivery peel, it doesn't look hard to use at all.

I used the peel last night for the first time! I am in loooove with it! The better and bigger kit has full sized bottles of the peel and I am now extra peeved at Philosophy. lol I will update my review by tonight with the results of the peel.

Thanks for the reviews! I love Philosophy's products! That's funny that you don't like the smell of Hope in a jar! I love it! It's lavender oil that gives it that smell and I think it's very calming and soothing! I know people either love it or hate it based on its reviews! LOL

Thanks for the review !! Lol, i was going to suggest to add it to the review center as well
wink.gif

Sure no problems guys. I updated my review to include the results of the peel, hope that helps.
biggrin.gif

Aprilrayne, I am shocked! lol Well, I guess everyone's sense of smell is different. You are right that it has lavender, but I can only smell a hint of it. The most prominent scents for me are the sour and spicy smells which overpowers the lavender.

Thanks for the review! I've tried the cleanser and that's it. I DO like that and maybe I'll try the rest of it based on this.

Now that I have tried it for a few weeks, I am not as enthused about it. I definitely would not recommend it for people with oily skin and combination skin. The reason is that I started developing whiteheads after the first week, the day after I used the scrub for the first time. I have combination skin but my t-zone is not that oily. I will update the review in a couple of days with more new details.

Here is my quick update

So I have been using the kit for almost a month now and here is my verdict so far

Cleanser: I still like it! Not drying and it cleans makeup off very well due to the oil content.

Serum: It is almost done, I didn't think I used much. Still can't tell if it is doing anything

Moisturizer: Now I understand why some reviewers called it greasy. It does not have a greasy texture (like Nivea face cream) nor does it leave that greasy residue on your face. But it does cause a few whiteheads, particularly in your naturally oily areas. It is not a full blown breakout and it is just 5 at most. Also, these whiteheads are tiny and not painful, but of course you don't want them on your face. It's weird, I got one on my cheek, I never get whiteheads on my cheeks. But my nose is what really gets oily. I didn't realize that I had combination skin until I used this product. I know for certain it is the cream because if I skip one day, the whiteheads go away immediately. I would not recommend using it on eczema, I thought I could because it is rich but it irritates eczema.

Eye cream: Not a major difference, the eye area looks healthier and slightly lighter but I get the feeling that any eye cream can do that.

The scrub: I believe in the power of the scrub, it makes a big impact. But with the samples they give you, you will get only 3 uses. Not enough.

Overall opinion: My skin is more even toned and fresher. But the skin texture hasn't improved very much, not smooth yet. It has failed to resolve my flaking issue, which is getting worse as the weather gets colder and dryer. The purpose of this kit is to hydrate and moisturize, but I think I need something that refines my skin texture. I wish the kit had a full-size exfoliator, which would help improve my skin texture. I do think this kit is targeted for older women and women who have dry skin. I had very high expectations since the kit was 78 bucks and it has a load of good reviews (mostly from women 35 and older, I should have taken the hint) and so I am a bit disappointed. Not what I thought it was going to be.

At least it's not a total disappointment since you like the cleanser, but for the price surely you could have expected more of all the products.

Latest posts

Back